You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 09, 2018 9:05 am

Dancer
Active

Why Apologize ??? ( Behar of 'The View' ) and Jesus

Joy Behar has apologized to Vice pres Pence for the controversial remarks  made on the VIEW on 13Feb 2018.

>> " I don't know that I want my vice president , umm - speaking in tongues and having Jesus speak to him" Co host Sunny Hostin said of Pence.
>> "  I'ts one thing to talk to Jesus . Its another thing when Jesus talks  to you" added Behar " that's called mental illness , if I am correct. Hearing voices "
VP Pence had criticized  Behar's comments a day later.

Well !!!!!

Expat, New Historian and others on TS would most likely say  " so what's the big deal ? "
RD would most likely differ.

#2 Mar 09, 2018 10:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Why Apologize ??? ( Behar of 'The View' ) and Jesus

People have the right to say whatever they want to say. 

I don't use the vernacular of "God talking to me" but some people do.  Very few of those people are claiming they hear the literal voice of God.  These people find that, in a meditative state of prayer, they are able to commune with a greater power and gain insights to a higher truth.  They call this "hearing God" but they don't mean literally.

Speaking in tongues is just batshit crazy.

#3 Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am

Real Distwalker
Active

That said, I am confident Calypso has a huge double standard on this issue.  Calypso sees insulting the deeply held faith of others to be no big deal but let someone make a generalized disparaging remark regarding black people and you will see the rules suddenly change.

Does free speech mean you can say horrible, offensive things without consequence or not?

#4 Mar 11, 2018 10:13 pm

Dancer
Active

' free speech '
I always wonder what that is .

If you are free to say what you want  , you should be free to pay the penalty also .

#5 Mar 12, 2018 8:17 pm

New Historian
Active

That does sound delusional, and worrying coming from the Veep. And why was an apology necessary? We're all big people, take it on the chin and move on!

#6 Mar 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

People have the right to say whatever they want to say. 

I don't use the vernacular of "God talking to me" but some people do.  Very few of those people are claiming they hear the literal voice of God.  These people find that, in a meditative state of prayer, they are able to commune with a greater power and gain insights to a higher truth.  They call this "hearing God" but they don't mean literally.

Speaking in tongues is just batshit crazy.

People who have "heard the voice of God", have done so much harm to all and sundry often "in Gods name" like the brutalisation of the Jungle tribes of South America, the near genocide of Australian Aborigines, the straightening out of the American Tribes, correcting them from their heathen ways. The various pulls and pushes of Christianity in Europe as first Catholics and then Protestants looked to do away with the other blaspheming bunch. The Burning and inquisition of the "Witches and Warlocks". The massacring of Muslims during the Crusades by the faithful.

The voice of God, which is no more than the little voice we all have in our heads has a lot to answer for. Some people have a nice state of mind and have a nice voice saying soft cuddly things, others are just plain nasty, and can then use the big guy as the justification for the horrors they unfurl.

Board footer