You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Mar 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Expat
Active

Rip of Greenz

I understand where the revenue stream come from, and that it is necessary.

However what I don't understand is a car part for a Toyota costing just over 1000 USD from a US dealer, and costing nearly 6000ECD from Steeles.

Surely taxes are removed before shipping?  Surely you are not paying import duties individually on one item when half a container arrives. Taxes and profit have to be paid and made, but surely the Toyota distributors in the US are not charging full retail. There is a massive mark up.

Personal direct imports via the P.O. aren't that hard, and can... if you have time.... shave a lot off the cost of locally bought goods. Import taxes, and postage included. Full legal, full kosher.

Dealers watch your sales drop because of greediness.

#2 Mar 18, 2018 9:36 am

Slice
Active

Re: Rip of Greenz

But how will the taxes be removed?  This is real scary.

#3 Mar 18, 2018 10:52 am

New Historian
Active

You forget to add:

Rent
Wages
and...
PROFITS

How you think dem Lansapine Mafia does support dey lifestyle, off charity?

#4 Mar 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

But how will the taxes be removed?  This is real scary.

Depending on the country of origin "local taxes" are not applied if the item is being exported.

#5 Mar 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

You forget to add:

Rent
Wages
and...
PROFITS

How you think dem Lansapine Mafia does support dey lifestyle, off charity?

But all those other companies on which ever mainland have the same costs, the only difference is the shipping costs, and the import duties. Had the importer got "local taxes" removed before exporting the price should not need to be marked up by so much. I suspect PROFITS are the main culprit.

I know some import duties are pretty steep, but even so.

#6 Mar 19, 2018 7:22 am

New Historian
Active

What those companies on the "mainland" have, and we don't, is NUMBERS. So in the mainland, the dealer's costs, wages and PROFITS are divided amongst thousands of items, sold to arrive at a unit price. Here, it's a few dozen items.

#7 Mar 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

What those companies on the "mainland" have, and we don't, is NUMBERS. So in the mainland, the dealer's costs, wages and PROFITS are divided amongst thousands of items, sold to arrive at a unit price. Here, it's a few dozen items.

Point, but not enough of a point to explain the mark up they make.

Board footer