You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am

Dancer
Active

QUALITY of LIFE in the CARIBBEAN ?

Going about my business  and having interacted with people from most islands , good and bad ... I wondered ..... what is the quality of life across the Caribbean ..

Hey People  ! looking up some answers , I saw 'Caribbean Journal'

Caribbean Countries included in the  UN human  Development report .

QUALITY OF LIFE RANKINGS IN THE CARIBBEAN ::::  In order of their Global Rankings *

Barbados 54
Bahamas 58
Antigua and Barbuda 62
Trinidad and Tobago 65
Cuba 68
St Kitts and Nevis 74
Grenada 79
St Lucia 92
Jamaica 94
Dominica 96
Dominican Rep. 99
St Vincent and the Grenadines 99
Belize 103

What's Up  ! Caribbean Journal
are you excluded from this  TS  site. ? lol
if not your marketing , slipped , giving away a freeness. sad.

Missed the Rum reviews.
But will pay attention now . lol.

#2 Mar 16, 2018 3:48 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: QUALITY of LIFE in the CARIBBEAN ?

Convo between me and a friend:

The results of this "Happiness" survey are staggering re Trinidad. Robust economy? In 2018? And what world renown beaches do they refer to? Is this the same Trinidad, our neighbour to the south, which at the present time is sadly suffering an accelerating crime wave that is out of control? A small country(pop 1.3 mil) where drive by shootings, housebreaking and kidnappings take place on a daily basis? The transportation system, the passenger and cargo ferry service between Trinidad and Tobago has now totally broken down. Their economy depends almost entirely on oil revenues that have plummeted in the past few years forcing companies to lay off workers, and also causing the unions to be up in arms. Some parts of the capital like Laventille, that is partly controlled by gangs, is un accessible even to the police. Is this the same country we know of? I wish Trinidad well, but challenge the veracity of this happiness report.

"partly" controlled by gangs? But that's not the point, I think "happiness" is an innate characteristic, largely removed from one's surroundings. The poor man can be happy in his shack on the beach, while the rich man who "has everything" is miserable.

I never said they were not happy. I don't live there. I am just amazed that if they are that the feeling can still exist in the worsening circumstances that have overwhelmed that place.

I'd concur with the sentiment that Trinis are innately happier than a lot of other West Indians, for one thing, they just LOVE to lime! I just found out that Cubans are also a very happy people, in spite of everything they've been through. Or probably because of. But: Bajans the "happiest"? That I don't get, at all.

I've lived in BIM on three different occasions. If there was happiness going around there,it bypassed me.

Jamaicans CAN be happy, but they have a "dreadness" about them, that can be intimidating.

And that about sums it up!

#3 Mar 17, 2018 7:46 am

Dancer
Active

Well , New Historian is see  this ' happiness ' has you wary. lol.  Nice spiel  about  happiness from Jamaica , to  Cuba , Bim , T & T .
So NH  , you think happiness is an innate characteristic ? You either born with it , or sorry pardner  -  ' none for you today' . You don't think happiness can be encouraged.
That's an interesting point of view, but wrong . lol.

Quality of life ?  I was thinking more along the lines of access to health , garbage collection ,  being safe on the streets ,  less hunger , education  and a stable government.

But  in   replying to your post , I am hoping for a contrast of ' quality of life ' observations between some countries you said you visited (in Africa) could be elsewhere too and the average Caribbean 'quality of life'.

#4 Mar 17, 2018 9:14 am

New Historian
Active

There, you got it: quality of life. All those things you mentioned equals quality of life, and that has a big impact on ne's happiness. But over and above that, or underneath it, is a person's innate "happiness": his/her character, outlook on life, optimism/pessimism. I used to work with Mauro, oh God the worst thing to do to Mauro was ask, how are you? You'd get the litany of woes - real and self-inflicted. Now Mauro had a good job, safe house, good infrastructure - but he was just a miserable s-o-b. Not a happy camper. But, ranking his life according to quality of life criteria, he should be.

Re quality of life rankings, hmm, watch this space.

#5 Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Convo between me and a friend:

The results of this "Happiness" survey are staggering re Trinidad. Robust economy? In 2018? And what world renown beaches do they refer to? Is this the same Trinidad, our neighbour to the south, which at the present time is sadly suffering an accelerating crime wave that is out of control? A small country(pop 1.3 mil) where drive by shootings, housebreaking and kidnappings take place on a daily basis? The transportation system, the passenger and cargo ferry service between Trinidad and Tobago has now totally broken down. Their economy depends almost entirely on oil revenues that have plummeted in the past few years forcing companies to lay off workers, and also causing the unions to be up in arms. Some parts of the capital like Laventille, that is partly controlled by gangs, is un accessible even to the police. Is this the same country we know of? I wish Trinidad well, but challenge the veracity of this happiness report.

"partly" controlled by gangs? But that's not the point, I think "happiness" is an innate characteristic, largely removed from one's surroundings. The poor man can be happy in his shack on the beach, while the rich man who "has everything" is miserable.

I never said they were not happy. I don't live there. I am just amazed that if they are that the feeling can still exist in the worsening circumstances that have overwhelmed that place.

I'd concur with the sentiment that Trinis are innately happier than a lot of other West Indians, for one thing, they just LOVE to lime! I just found out that Cubans are also a very happy people, in spite of everything they've been through. Or probably because of. But: Bajans the "happiest"? That I don't get, at all.

I've lived in BIM on three different occasions. If there was happiness going around there,it bypassed me.

Jamaicans CAN be happy, but they have a "dreadness" about them, that can be intimidating.

And that about sums it up!

So ah just get the Trini rating.  Folks from Trinidad are running away from Trinidad. Very confusing.  Me Trini in law came to Grenada with me one time and now that is all he is talking baout is going back to Grenada.  I tried to book my flight to Grenada and let let him know, but he found out and will be joining me there.  This Trini rating is very confusing.

Board footer