You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Mar 20, 2018 10:50 pm

Expat
Active

Re: I suppose "bombs don't kill people"...

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

I have only one critique of the examples, which was the two good old boys with their antique rifles.

You yourself said they are not that accurate, and yet they are going to hunt.... one shot at a time with a gun that couldn't be reloaded quickly and used to catch an injured animal in flight.

There is a lot of deer hunting done with bows and muzzle loaders in Iowa.   Bow and muzzle loader seasons for deer last weeks.  Modern firearms deer hunting season is only a few days.

I wonder how many are "bad kills". I am sure there are plenty of film clips out there, but I do remember one where a bad shot smashes a deers jaw, and it runs off to die in misery from starvation and in pain. I understood pioneer hunting to cross the plains etc. I even get hunting for food when there is a supermarket down the road, but the participants need to be better than average shots. Inflicting pain for pleasure isn't my cup of tea.

Even though I have dispatched a couple of Chicken Hawks in defense of my chicks, they were very carefully taken shots. I have been beatdown by chicken lovers for doing that.... apparently I should have held the chicks up and let them take them from my hand....

#22 Mar 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

To answer your question, just about every deer harvested by bow runs off.  You have to wait for them to lay down and then follow the blood trail to find them.  It is part of hunting.

#23 Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Expat
Active

A little bit like dogs chasing a fox to ground and then either catching it and ripping it to pieces, or if it gets to the lair being dug up and then thrown to the dogs.... maybe it should not be done.  Fox hunting has been banned in the UK.

We allow all kinds of horrors in war time against humans, but apart from the atrocities against civilians most combatants know what they are up against.... a fun day out plugging holes in animals just for the hell of it is just a bit off... Which may be why you gave it up?

#24 Mar 21, 2018 9:15 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Back to New Historian's question about "how many people use a gun to defend themselves".  My answer was the presence of guns deters crime even if they are never brandished.  Study after study has shown that violent criminals fear armed citizens far more than they fear the police.

Look at the table below.  It shows the burglary rate per 100,000 of the population.  See where the US is?  That can absolutely, positively be attributed to the fact that burglars in the US know that a home invasion has a very high probability of resulting in their sudden, bloody death.   In Europe, not so much.

This is the aspect of gun ownership that people neglect.  My in-laws live way, way out in the countryside.  There isn't a house for a mile in any direction.  It would be nothing for predators to break into their house while they sleep and do as they please.  It never happens, however.  First the dog would bark, then the lights come on and the firepower would come to bear.

It would take the police 45 minutes to get to the farm.  By brother-in-law is his own police.

Burglars know this.  Thus the low burglary rate.  What would be the trade off if his guns were taken away?  Would you want to live miles from any town, out on the prairie with no way to defend yourself?

burgalry.png

https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Burglary-rate

#25 Mar 21, 2018 9:31 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Everybody knows that every farm like this is protected by firearms.  If they weren't, they would be sitting ducks for any predator.  Calling the police?  Useless.

Have the people who live here ever needed to bradish their weapons?  Doubtful.  The knowledge by the predators that they are armed and ready is enough to keep them from even attempting a robbery or burglary.

maxresdefault.jpg

That farm photo pretty much sums up why New Historian's hysterics about banning guns is so ridiculous.  The very idea that the people who live there should be disarmed is just ludacris.  I would love to see the criminal class 100 percent disarmed.  These people aren't that.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 21, 2018 9:57 am)

#26 Mar 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Expat
Active

I really do not think many of those figures are realistic.

America with the 2nd highest rape rate for example.

Board footer