You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

London outperforms New York!

New Yorkers think of London as peaceable and civilized, whereas Londoners think of New York as Death Wish. But not so: In February, London overtook New York in murders. In Britain, everything is policed except crime.

London overtook New York in murders for the first time in modern history in February as the capital endured a dramatic surge in knife crime.

Fifteen people were murdered in the capital, against 14 in New York. Both cities have almost exactly the same population.

London murders for March are also likely to exceed or equal New York's. By late last night there had been 22 killings in the capital, according to the Metropolitan police, against 21 in the US city.

Eight Londoners were murdered between March 14 and March 20 alone and the total number of London murders, even excluding victims of terrorism, has risen by 38% since 2014.

https://www.steynonline.com/8547/divers … -literally

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Apr 02, 2018 4:34 pm)

#2 Apr 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: London outperforms New York!

Oh, and to repeat a oft repeated theme: You are one hell of a lot more likely to be murdered in London than here in Iowa where there are guns galore.  There is virtually zero chance I will have a knife shoved between my ribs in Cedar Rapids.

#3 Apr 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Oh, and to repeat a oft repeated theme: You are one hell of a lot more likely to be murdered in London than here in Iowa where there are guns galore.  There is virtually zero chance I will have a knife shoved between my ribs in Cedar Rapids.

Simply daft comparison, If you can't even hear the gunshot after it has fallen half a mile short of where you are you are going to have a hard time getting killed. Just about everywhere that is rural is low danger. It's when people live on top of each other that tensions rise. Had there been more guns in London, probably there would have been fewer knife crimes, and more gun crimes. Or the same number of knife crimes, and more gun crimes.

Other than stats we know little about cause and effect. Why the upsurge? Younger population? New various ethnic influx? Alcohol? Result of cyber bullying?   Let us know.

#4 Apr 02, 2018 7:10 pm

New Historian
Active

For years now dem boys in London been outta control, which has a lot to do with urban decay and the creation of a more or less permanently unemployed underclass. My nephews there say it is D.R.E.A.D.

#5 Apr 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat it is a daft comparison.  It is daft when people say "more guns, more crime".  That just isn't true.  That is the point.  There are more guns in Iowa than in London but Iowa is safer.  Guns don't cause crime.

#6 Apr 02, 2018 11:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Guns enable crime. There would be a lot more crime - and gun crime - in London if guns were as available as they are in the US.

#7 Apr 03, 2018 7:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It isn't true that the presence of guns only increases crime.  There would be less of some types of crime because guns also prevent crime.  Burglary, for example, is much reduced when armed homeowners are allowed to defend themselves with firearms.   Criminals aren't stupid.  They choose victims unlikely to legally kill them.  This shouldn't even be up for debate as it is common sense.

The bottom line is that there are more independent variables to the equation than just the number of guns.  In many situations, an increase in guns in the hands of the law abiding will reduce crime.   There are many variables.

#8 Apr 03, 2018 11:05 am

New Historian
Active

In London you now have this huge and ever growing underclass of unemployable young people, whose only sources of income are the government and crime. With their accents, lack of education and experience and the racism and classism of employers, the most they can ever hope for is minimum wage temp jobs.

It weren't like that when I were a nipper.

#9 Apr 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Expat
Active

There has always been an underclass, and less availability of "good" jobs for those that didn't take advantage of the facilities they were given for free.

Regrettably along with the "yardie" gangsterism that arrived, and I had said before, and was "rebuked" and the clip you posted said exactly the same thing I had said several years ago. Crime and criminals/gangs just were nastier once those buggers got off the plane. Then as youth tries to rebel the trendy "blackspeak" become across the spectrum with Indian, Black, White, and any mix you like to think of all talking the same dumb ass way. Can you blame an employer that doesn't rush out to hire a moron who didn't take any exams, and can hardly put a sentence together?

Sounding like your peers is nothing new, I used to talk like my schoolmates..... in school, and on the way home... BUT when I walked through the door at home at that time my cut glass English accent came out.

Time has eroded it, and if I hear a recording of my voice I hear London strains in there, but you wont very often hear "owya doing mae".

While circumstances make children have to cope with the environment their parents dropped them in, if those same parents paid some attention to those children most would be able to make something of themselves. I accept deprived areas are a hindrance. But it is also down to personal drive, and the oft chanted cry of the only way to make it here is to steal and rob, just shows how lazy and lacking in drive they are.

For sure back in the 60's you could walk from crap job to crap job very easily. Now you need a degree just to get in the door. The saying... I may misquote it.... when the going gets tough the tough get going.... Is life in general. TV in the house shows the under-privileged the more fortunate in all kinds of programs, leading them to feel they somehow "deserve" to have the same things without putting in the work.

Whether you were struggling to find coal for a fire back in the 1700's, or having to write 100 CV's for job applications nowadays, very few have it handed to them on a silver platter. The rest of us have to work damn hard to make something of ourselves. Those that choose the easy way often live by and die by the gun.

Board footer