You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Apr 06, 2018 9:23 am

Expat
Active

Re: Mama Africa (Winnie Mandela) is Dead!

We are defined by what we do, and among all those activities that were laudable, she was as was mentioned at the least comfortable with, and more likely instrumental in some very despicable acts.

While you can sympathise with a young woman deprived of her Husband by an oppressive regime, it didn't take long for Nelson to rid himself of her once he got out. Memory fades, but I think she was as much an embarrassment to him with her violent acts as any marital issues.

#12 Apr 06, 2018 11:00 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

We are defined by what we do, and among all those activities that were laudable, she was as was mentioned at the least comfortable with, and more likely instrumental in some very despicable acts.

While you can sympathise with a young woman deprived of her Husband by an oppressive regime, it didn't take long for Nelson to rid himself of her once he got out. Memory fades, but I think she was as much an embarrassment to him with her violent acts as any marital issues.

when you have the upper hand in any violence issue use it as a weapon. Mau, Mau was an example of this! Nelson received pressure to rid himself of her. Winnie was a remarkable character: opinionated, violent, loyal and nationalist!

#13 Apr 06, 2018 11:02 am

New Historian
Active

"Winnie was a remarkable character: opinionated, violent, loyal and nationalist!"

Forged in warfare, tempered by racist oppression - what you expect her to turn out to be: soft??

#14 Apr 06, 2018 11:29 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Winnie was a remarkable character: opinionated, violent, loyal and nationalist!"

Forged in warfare, tempered by racist oppression - what you expect her to turn out to be: soft??

No. I expected her to be just as magnificent as she was!!

Last edited by Calypso (Apr 06, 2018 11:34 am)

#15 Apr 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Vanni
Active

I'm coming late, but all I wish to say is:

may our history allow us to raise.

May we recognise each other and be the brothers and the sisters we are, always have been, always will be.

#16 Apr 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

No, but being party to the murder of a young child, and condoning the most despicable form of execution I can think of ... even past stoning, ie putting a tyre round somebody's upper body, filling it with gasoline, and torching the living victim to death... They may have been a traitor to that particular cause is NOT an excuse for that.

#17 Apr 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

No, but being party to the murder of a young child, and condoning the most despicable form of execution I can think of ... even past stoning, ie putting a tyre round somebody's upper body, filling it with gasoline, and torching the living victim to death... They may have been a traitor to that particular cause is NOT an excuse for that.

"Necklacing?" The white terrorist during the Mau Mau Rebellion used to castrate the men and push bottles up into the  vaginas of pregnant black women. Necklacing is a rather mild punishment for traitors, isn't it???

#18 Apr 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

"Necklacing?" The white terrorist during the Mau Mau Rebellion used to castrate the men and push bottles up into the  vaginas of pregnant black women. Necklacing is a rather mild punishment for traitors, isn't it???

There is no way back from being burnt to death alive.

#19 Apr 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

There is no way back from being burnt to death alive.

You and your double standard!! eh!!

#20 Apr 08, 2018 7:30 pm

New Historian
Active

War is a crime, anything done in the name of war is not a crime. If it was, Churchill would have gone to jail for the bombing of Dresden, the starvation of the Indian people among others, Blair Bush and the rest of the cabal would have been jailed for the phony war on non-existent WMDs and the extermination of the fleeing Iraqi troops on the road back to Bagdhad. It's easy for you in your armchair to give moral pronouncements on what Winnie should or shouldn't have done, but YOU WEREN'T THERE. And, to repeat: it was a time of WAR. When you're fighting a regime as brutal as apartheid SA, what do you think, gentlemen's rule applies? You fight fire with fire, literally if you have to.

Board footer