You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Cracking down on knives in the UK

Seriously, I get it.  I got pulled over about five years ago for rolling through a stop sign.  The cop asked me if I had a gun in my pickup and I told him I had a Glock in the center console.   He said, "I tell you what, you don't pull yours out and I won't pull mine out."

He let me off with warning for the stop sign violation.

#12 Apr 09, 2018 3:54 pm

New Historian
Active

Boy you doh ease up off of that horse eh? Yes dem boys and em could give you a real juk with the screwdriver. It's like in Grenada, one night I went to a carnival fete in my boat, and the police stopped me when they saw my Swiss Army Knife hanging from my belt. I said officah look pon me, you really think I'm some gang member? That's my tool man! They say go 'long, but if I was some 19 year old lout with my pants halfway down to my knees, it'd be a different story. Of course I don't expect you Americans, much less Yank police, to understand things like nuance and context...

#13 Apr 09, 2018 3:55 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Seriously, I get it.  I got pulled over about five years ago for rolling through a stop sign.  The cop asked me if I had a gun in my pickup and I told him I had a Glock in the center console.   He said, "I tell you what, you don't pull yours out and I won't pull mine out."

What a good thing you white, eh?

#14 Apr 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Isn't it the same principle you praised a few posts up?  The police get to use their discretion who is a threat with a screwdriver and pair of scissors and who isn't?   To quote you, "they know who they're going after".... and it ain't me.

#15 Apr 09, 2018 4:11 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes, it ain't you - and it ain't me either! So aren't we BOTH "lucky" lol?

A simple thinks like camouflage pants that are fashionable, in most islands here you aren't allowed to wear them. That may seem draconian, but it makes sense: when I get stopped by men in camo's, I want to know that they are real police or army and not "dem boys and dem" again. That doesn't apply to Iowa.

#16 Apr 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Expat
Active

In truth I haven't researched their use relative to field craft, but if you can give me a decent reason why a 13 year old going to school needs a ceramic 6inch bladed knife I will start to think restricting their sale and carrying by people not using them as a tool of the trade is as daft as you seem to think.

We already HAVE limits on blade length, and style.... ie flick knives have been banned for a long time.

The main reason for their restriction is that CHILDREN are getting into fights, and instead of walking away with a broken nose one of them is waking up DEAD, You have a culture of guns, it is ingrained in society. While both guns and knives have been used through the ages it is NOT a normal thing for modern day Brits to carry anything more than a simple pen knife, and even that is not the norm. Other than children being bullies, and children arming themselves simple because they do not want to be bullied there is no need for them.... ergo make the use other than in your kitchen or out on camp a mighty offence, and the trend will go away.

Even now, if you were going fishing, or camping and you were stopped... going or coming, you would not have a problem with a long blades knife, but there can be no excuse for just wandering around the streets of a city.

#17 Apr 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I carry one of these every day, everywhere.  Am I a problem?

https://www.leatherman.com/skeletool-18.html

18-skeletool.png?sw=1000&sh=1000&sm=fit

#18 Apr 11, 2018 8:04 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

RD, what do you do with that Glock when you park your truck?
Do you leave it in the truck while shopping at the mall or do you pack it up each time you leave the truck?
Isn't it a pain in the ass being a responsible gun owner in peaceful Iowa?

#19 Apr 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Truth be told, I don't carry it most of the time.  That was back when I first got it and was still kind of enthralled with it.   But to answer your question, yes, it is a pain in the ass to carry it and I seldom do.

#20 Apr 11, 2018 10:21 pm

houston
Active

Fair enough...thanks for the honest answer.

Board footer