You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Jan 09, 2017 2:38 pm

gripe

Re: Sand mining at Galby

RD, I am not an authority on the issue. Also, you confused me with this statement: "Gripe, your video title is "New NASA Model Maps Sea Level Rise Like Never Before".   That is just not true and is an absurd claim." What is not true? The fact of the source of the video? Or, the contention in the video? You should send your comments to NASA and/or Sarah Lewin, the author of the piece.

I will be guided by this quote from the piece: "In 2014, NASA formed a new sea-level-change research team comprising scientists with expertise in glaciology, hydrology, oceanography, geophysics and a variety of other fields, Nerem said. "You need all these fields … to actually understand all the factors that affect future sea level rise," he noted."

I confess that I do not know all the factors impacting climate change, but sure will defer to experts rather than my novice inclinations. (I may even learn from you.)

Last edited by gripe (Jan 09, 2017 2:42 pm)

#12 Jan 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Real Distwalker

It is absurd to claim that "sea levels rise like never before".  Maybe by "never before" they meat never since NASA has been monitoring sea levels.  That I could believe.  But to argue that the minuscule changes to sea level are unprecedented in geological history is absurd.

#13 Jan 09, 2017 3:54 pm

gripe

One would expect that reputable researchers would have a sound basis for a strong qualifier such as "never before" and not just use that phrase, that qualifier, loosely. Still, I encourage you to contact the author, even NASA, to get either of them to make any necessary correction(s). Let them show you their data on which they base their conclusion.

#14 Jan 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Expat

New Historian wrote:

Disgusting and so short sighted. Most of the time when people talk about "rising lea levels" what's really happening is subsidence due to uncontrolled mining. If the sea level's rising so much then why isn't the Carenage under water?

I guess you weren't in Greenz a few weeks back when the Careenage was flooded, and great spurts of water were belching out of the grates.

#15 Jan 10, 2017 8:15 am

New Historian

"I guess you weren't in Greenz a few weeks back when the Careenage was flooded, and great spurts of water were belching out of the grates."

No I wasn't but that sure sounds familiar from my youth.

#16 Jan 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Expat

New Historian wrote:

"I guess you weren't in Greenz a few weeks back when the Careenage was flooded, and great spurts of water were belching out of the grates."

No I wasn't but that sure sounds familiar from my youth.

So are you really in denial that all the water from those many Glaciers that have retreated, haven't ended up in the oceans?

Around Grenada there is only a high to low tide differential of between a foot and a foot and a half, where as in other locations it can be as much as 18 feet.  Under sea topography, plus the complexities of tidal surge affect tide height greatly. Then add storm surge, combined with Moon Apogee and Sun distance, and you can have massive differences.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations … des/latest

#17 Jan 11, 2017 12:58 am

New Historian

I'm not in denial, I'm NOT a climate denier, but ... I just don't think it's THAT bad, as the alarmists would have us believe; we're not all about to get drowned, any time soon! I support EVERY international effort to reduce carbon emissions, but I don't quite think that "the end of the world is nigh!", just yet.

#18 Jan 11, 2017 8:19 am

Real Distwalker

New Historian wrote:

I'm not in denial, I'm NOT a climate denier, but ... I just don't think it's THAT bad, as the alarmists would have us believe; we're not all about to get drowned, any time soon! I support EVERY international effort to reduce carbon emissions, but I don't quite think that "the end of the world is nigh!", just yet.

That is pretty much my position.  I am a lukewarmer.  I don't doubt there is warming and I don't doubt that humans are contributing to it.  I think the result will be a mixed bag of positive and negative effects and that the negative effects will be al lot less severe than the alarmists will have us believe.  I also think that, for the most part, we are helpless to prevent whatever climate change is ahead.

#19 Jan 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Expat

I did not say why the Glaciers were retreating, only that they were.... whether because direct human intervention, or part of the natural cycle.... perhaps affected by humanity.... regardless, the Glaciers are melting, and the sea levels ARE rising.... but as I alluded, different locations are affected differently. But ultimately  the sea levels will rise all around the World.

#20 Jan 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Real Distwalker

Expat wrote:

But ultimately  the sea levels will rise all around the World.

I think that is close to a metaphysical certitude.  Furthermore, there isn't a damned thing we can do about it except to adapt to the situation.   The good news is that adapting is something at which our species has always excelled.

Board footer