You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Expat
Active

So I was shooting this AR15 this evening.

Nice toy.

Regrettably only a small caliber, but it did the business. I got 10 inside the 9 ring first shots fired, having not ever touched it before in life.

There were 30 round mags, but to be completely honest the 10 round mag I had was just right for the target shooting I was doing, and as I said if you need more than 5 rounds per animal if you are hunting, then you should seriously think about not hunting. If you need more than 2 you are pretty shit IMO.

Off to Bisley later in the month to try my hand at 600yds full bore.

Thank goodness they still let us use guns in ENGLAND.

#2 Apr 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: So I was shooting this AR15 this evening.

Expat wrote:

...as I said if you need more than 5 rounds per animal...

It depends on if the animal in question is returning fire

#3 Apr 19, 2018 8:12 pm

New Historian
Active

I was on a game walk in Kruger Park, crawling with carnivores, and the ranger had a big bore elephant gun, which only held 3 cartridges. I said isn't that a small amount of bullets to have in your gun? He said: you'll never have enough time to loose off more than 3 shots anyway! The one time I shot a real gun I was pretty good, even outshooting the gun's owner. And yes, it was fun.

Leopard.jpg

Leopard2.jpg

#4 Apr 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You say the AR-15 was small bore.  Were you shooting .223 or .22LR with a sub caliber device?

#5 Apr 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

You say the AR-15 was small bore.  Were you shooting .223 or .22LR with a sub caliber device?

It was one of the clubs rifles, mostly they have target rifles, but also a few of these ar15s, all I know was it was .22lr. I think it was straight manufactured at that caliber, I don't think it was modded to that size.

I had to be pretty discipled in using it, as a) the range has just been rebuilt, and spurious holes outside the catchment area would not have gone down well, b) I am not as steady as I would like to be on free standing, so If as I wanted I had tried rapid fire I might have left tell tale holes in the surroundings c) the armour only extends so far and an Underground train line runs behind the range....

Put 30 down over 2 days (busy range), and I thought 5Mils up, 5 Mils left, and yep the next 10 went through the centre.

Hoping to have a crack at 600yds full bore on the 29th at Bisley, and next weekend a hundred or so clays.

This phantom animal returning fire is for 99.9999999% of the population a non event, maybe drug dealers need the extra capacity, but the National Guard aint coming up to take your guns in your lifetime.

#6 Apr 21, 2018 11:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You can put a sub-caliber device in an AR-15, M-16 or M-4 and fire a .22LR  People do it to save money.  That shows that the standard .223 or 5.56 NATO is pretty close to the same bore.  It just has a lot more umpf behind it.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/categor … on-kits.do

#7 Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

You can put a sub-caliber device in an AR-15, M-16 or M-4 and fire a .22LR  People do it to save money.  That shows that the standard .223 or 5.56 NATO is pretty close to the same bore.  It just has a lot more umpf behind it.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/categor … on-kits.do

I understand the conversion principle, you can do it to Glocks too. But I do believe these would have been straight out of the box.

Well yes, you have the skinny LR, and then the bloody great bulge behind the 5.56. Kinda might make a difference... smile

Nasty projectile to get hit with.

Board footer