You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: BLOOD PUDDING IN THE SPICE

New Historian wrote:

Americans eat TOO MUCH food in general. TOO MUCH red meat, TOO MUCH artificial crap, TOO MUCH sugar and sweet drinks, NOT ENOUGH fresh vegetables and fish.

All true but it isn't just Americans.  I have been to Europe and they are certainly catching up.  Brits and rural French look a lot like Americans these days.

#22 Apr 27, 2018 11:19 am

New Historian
Active

They still got a ways to go to catch up with you porkers lol:

USA    34%
UK    28%
France    24%

https://renewbariatrics.com/obesity-rank-by-countries/

#23 Apr 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

That's not surprising.  It generally takes about three generations of over-abundance of food to create huge livestock.  There is no reason to believe the same isn't true of human beings.  The effects of World War II material deprivation in Europe put the US about a generation ahead of Europeans in that regard. One more generation and they will catch up.  They are no different

I was in France last year and Britain the year before that.  Trust me.  There is a great abundance of fat people in both countries.   

This article is about drunks in Britain, not obesity.  Scroll through the photos.  Those bodies don't look that different than Americans to me.

https://memed.co.uk/2018/01/01/therell- … -for-some/

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Apr 27, 2018 12:09 pm)

#24 Apr 27, 2018 2:52 pm

New Historian
Active

And obesity isn't limited to the rich countries, poverty makes people eat too much fatty foods.

#25 Apr 27, 2018 5:56 pm

houston
Active

During visits to Grenada I was surprised at how much cheap cooking oil was used for meals. A healthy breakfast of Jack fish would be fried in oil. The locals would buy cheap cooking oil in big jugs and cook every meal with it, therefore destroying the benefits of the fish or whatever. Also always big line ups at the local KFC joint.
Had to wonder why so much junk would be consumed when there was an abundance of fresh organic products.
My favourites were the huge avocados and Julie mangos, perfect for breakfast.

#26 Apr 27, 2018 6:02 pm

houston
Active

During visits to Grenada I was surprised at how much cheap cooking oil was used for meals. A healthy breakfast of Jack fish would be fried in oil. The locals would buy cheap cooking oil in big jugs and cook every meal with it, therefore destroying the benefits of the fish or whatever. Also always big line ups at the local KFC joint.
Had to wonder why so much junk would be consumed when there was an abundance of fresh organic products.
My favourites were the huge avocados and Julie mangos, perfect for breakfast.

#27 Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm

houston
Active

Europe is notorious for fancy, unhealthy food. Very pricey to get fat over there.
The junk they consume in Britain could make one drag around like a sloth all day.

#28 Apr 27, 2018 7:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I ate all local food in France.  French food is good, but that is some buttery, cheesy, saucy, rich, artery clogging fare, that's for sure.

#29 Apr 27, 2018 7:26 pm

houston
Active

No doubt, very heavy on the rich and creamy food. They like a good stuffing no matter what time of day.
Often wonder if it is a result of the war years when there were rations on milk, cream, cheese, eggs...all that good fattening stuff that plugs up the arteries.

#30 Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I don't eat KFC because it is too greasy and the restaurants always seem filthy.  I probably have a McDonalds five or six times a year out of convenience.  There isn't a damned thing wrong with it.  It is just food.

Now I am trying to keep my weight down so I watch what I eat.  I seldom want to waste the few calories I allow myself on somthing like fast food.

The reality, however, is that in the US you can get 2,000 calories for $4.00 on the dollar menu.  In terms of the cost of eating as a ratio of a worker's pay, it is the cheapest most abundant, most nutritious food in human history.

https://nypost.com/2013/07/28/the-great … n-history/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrin … story.html

You are what you eat, and for varying reasons McD and KFC and probably loads of other outlets like them are crap.

I kinda enjoyed the "new" taste of McD when it came around, it was a change from the Wimpey we knew. It took a while to realise the reason for the indigestion was the almost cardboard like McD burger. I guess if you peel the coating off the KFC it isn't so bad, but otherwise it is loaded with oils. Both of them and most other American based food outlets provide french fries.... in other words very small cross section chips which are much higher proportionally with oil than "normal" fries, or chips as we call them.

It is BAAD shit, OK in an emergency, but should be kept a long way from regular diets, and most definitely no shovelled into the mouths of unsuspecting kids who may like the taste, but can have no idea as to how bad it is for them, and is starting a life habit.

If you think it is "just food", you don't have a great expectation for your nutrition. I cannot remember which year I ever went in a McD, I have more respect for my digestive tract, and I have been arm forced on a few occasions to eat KFC, but I try to persuade everyone else to go somewhere else if I can. Subway seems to be one of the least offensive outlets at the moment.

Board footer