You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 24, 2018 9:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

See Expat? This is the problem.

We love England, Great Britain and the whole United Kingdom.  Still, this is the sort of thing that made us realize that things just wouldn't work out so we had to break up and start our own country.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c … 17751.html

#2 Apr 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Expat
Active

Re: See Expat? This is the problem.

I am pretty sure you defend the right to be vile as a right to freedom of speech.

Somehow I think runaway bigotry or other extremes should not be allowed free reign.

What was unacceptable becomes acceptable, and by degrees standards lower.

I think there is a vast difference with a comedian being on the edge to the point of overstepping the mark, and someone chanting kill the jews to make a dog do a nazi salute.

#3 Apr 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If you don't support protecting offensive speech, you don't support free speech.  Delightful, inoffensive speech doesn't require protection.  Only offensive speech requires free speech rights.

#4 Apr 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Slice
Active

If I walk close to the White House and say, I m going to kill the president, ah wonder wha go happen to me?

#5 Apr 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Saying you are going to commit a major felony will get the attention of police and you will be arrested as a potential threat.  You won't be charged with a speech crime.  If it turned out to be a credible threat, you would be charged with that.

Not all speech is protected.  You can't scream fire in a crowded theater unless there is a fire.  Why?  It would be immediately dangerous to life and limb.

A pug doing the Nazi salute is just a joke.  Like John Cleese here, back when England had a sense of humor.

hqdefault.jpg

#6 Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Slice
Active

Ah think you said the magic words, not all speech are protected.

#7 Apr 24, 2018 9:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yes, speech that has causes immediate bodily harm is not protected.  Neither is slander.  Jokes are definitely protected.  Nazi salutes are definitely protected.

#8 Apr 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Expat
Active

I think you will find Nazi salutes in Germany are a long way from protected.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h … 01630.html

Maybe the old countries are a bit more intelligent with their adjudication as to what is acceptable.

Last edited by Expat (Apr 26, 2018 2:11 pm)

#9 Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Yes, speech that has causes immediate bodily harm is not protected.  Neither is slander.  Jokes are definitely protected.  Nazi salutes are definitely protected.

Are there hate speech laws in the states?
How is free speech differentiated from hate speech?

#10 Apr 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

There are no hate speech laws in the United States.   Hateful speech is protected.

Board footer