You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 28, 2018 11:14 am

Calypso
Active

What's the Best Way to Use Tumeric root?

I just bought some turmeric bulbs and I've never used it before. How must I use it?

#2 Apr 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Slice
Active

Re: What's the Best Way to Use Tumeric root?

If you make anything curry, add it to curry, it gives great taste and color.  also it is perfect in Oil down.

#3 Apr 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

If you make anything curry, add it to curry, it gives great taste and color.  also it is perfect in Oil down.

I have the root and it looks like ginger. How must if use it?

#4 Apr 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Expat
Active

Probably the best answers to your question are on the WWW.

It also depends on what you want to use it for. It is a great medicinal plant. Again look for answers on the web you will get far more than our limited knowledge.

As far as I know you plant it, it grows itself up to the surface and dries down, you can then harvest those corms, and use them in cooking or medicine and leave them alone or replant them, and they will go through the cycle again.

#5 Apr 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Slice
Active

simple answer grate it on blend it One or two tea spoonful is great in Curry or Oil down.  As Expat was saying it stops inflammation, that is what they say.  More than 10 years ago my old Jewish Doctor told me to eat it as much as possible.

#6 May 04, 2018 11:35 pm

Dancer
Active

Tumeric root  big claim to fame  is it's anti-inflammatory properties.

It is also being studied as  a natural hedge against alzheimer 's  !!!

Oh,Oh . I see , I see .

" Please hurry up  with the studying and keeping my fingers crossed - hoping -  that  it  is not too late for some * talk shoppers *

Losing one's marbles  is not a pretty sight. Can't distinguish  between a 'festival , a dumpling.'  or Even the hats you wear.
Horrible. lol.

#7 May 05, 2018 2:13 am

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

Tumeric root  big claim to fame  is it's anti-inflammatory properties.

It is also being studied as  a natural hedge against alzheimer 's  !!!

Oh,Oh . I see , I see .

" Please hurry up  with the studying and keeping my fingers crossed - hoping -  that  it  is not too late for some * talk shoppers *

Losing one's marbles  is not a pretty sight. Can't distinguish  between a 'festival , a dumpling.'  or Even the hats you wear.
Horrible. lol.

Yes Alzheimer's is not a good disease but I'm proned to it. I see it coming on. I'll have to live with it!!

#8 May 05, 2018 2:46 am

Vanni
Active

I am often using a mix of turmeric - the better when fresh, but mine is dry powder as it is not yet easy to find it fresh here - ginger, fresh, grated, lemon zest and juice, and honey. Preferably cold, so as to not kill the honey and the various enzymes, but if a flu comes up, hot may be an option - I then leave out the honey, as its properties would be greatly spoiled if heated above 40°C - anything heated above human temperature gets its enzymes killed. And the enzymes are powerful vitality enhancers and healers. This combination of ingredients does a lot, with its strong healing properties. It takes its full potential in a healthy lifestyle and diet.

Last edited by Vanni (May 05, 2018 2:46 am)

#9 May 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Calypso
Active

Vanni wrote:

I am often using a mix of turmeric - the better when fresh, but mine is dry powder as it is not yet easy to find it fresh here - ginger, fresh, grated, lemon zest and juice, and honey. Preferably cold, so as to not kill the honey and the various enzymes, but if a flu comes up, hot may be an option - I then leave out the honey, as its properties would be greatly spoiled if heated above 40°C - anything heated above human temperature gets its enzymes killed. And the enzymes are powerful vitality enhancers and healers. This combination of ingredients does a lot, with its strong healing properties. It takes its full potential in a healthy lifestyle and diet.

Thanks. you make a drink with it.

#10 May 07, 2018 12:08 am

Dancer
Active

West Indian hot sauces comes  in different shades , red , dusty grayish , seeds floating around , but when you see the one  with the  bright yella colour and  pieces of  red hot  pepper  in the glass bottle  ....  Turmeric  gives it that colour .
... go yella , for your sauce.

Board footer