You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jan 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Expat

How on Earth do Grenadians cope?

I opened an old PDF file yesterday which was on 2008/9 salaries in Government.

I have mentioned this before.... probably way back when it was just about current.

However, I suspect many of those salaries have not increased very much in the in-between years to now.

I do not feel I live a very extravagant lifestyle, but there is absolutely no way I could cope on most of those salaries.

Frankly after a quick peep at the content again, I would need to be an attache, or Consul General or Crown Council to be able to manage my budget by the skin of my teeth.

When I hear Security Guards get $8 per hour, and checkout girls probably $6. I have no idea how they can even get food to live. Frankly, I spend as much on a general shopping trip to the supermarket as they get in salary for the month.

Apart from a few home grown produce, and locally grown and slaughtered animals, everything else is half as much if not twice the price of the same item abroad.

Frankly I shall be inwardly more patient when people are so much slower off the mark than their foreign counterparts. I wouldn't bust a gut for that kind of money either.

#2 Jan 10, 2017 8:32 am

New Historian

Re: How on Earth do Grenadians cope?

And yet everyone's got two phones and nuff nuff clothes!

#3 Jan 10, 2017 7:37 pm

Expat

New Historian wrote:

And yet everyone's got two phones and nuff nuff clothes!

I guess you only know wannabees.

Several of the ones I know can barely keep the ONE phone going, seem to be wearing the same clothes, and are just getting by.

#4 Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am

Brian 2.0

By the looks of the photos I have seen recently, nobody is going hungry in Greenz. Type 2 diabetes epidemic on the other hand poses a huge huge threat to the health system...huge, a disaster, very scary.

#5 Jan 12, 2017 8:10 pm

New Historian

"By the looks of the photos I have seen recently, nobody is going hungry in Greenz"

BIG lol! But like Expat, I do wonder how some people make it on so little. Thank god for breadfruit and bluggo!

#6 Jan 13, 2017 10:31 am

Brian 2.0

...and hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn sweetener. Allbody full dem belly, but nonadem healthy.

#7 Jan 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Slice

Yep they need help in that field.That disease is killing Grenadians. Why?  What the hell is happening?

#8 Jan 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Slice

New Historian wrote:

"By the looks of the photos I have seen recently, nobody is going hungry in Greenz"

BIG lol! But like Expat, I do wonder how some people make it on so little. Thank god for breadfruit and bluggo!

Grenadians are too damn lazy, they no longer cook at home.  My guy who installed my Cameras had ah Heart attack.  I learned that he eat three meals a day at KFC. Ah hope he change his  diet.

Then there is ah good freind while I was In Grenada, he died of ah Heart Attack.  He was 59.  He probebely had the same disease, but did not even know it.

Let me knock on wood for the next one, my uncle is 89 and walks from Piedmontemps to Vola Pasture five time ah week to do some farming.  The man looks strong like ah ox.  His secret he says, is that he never ever eats out.  He always eats what he produces.

#9 Jan 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Mary Seacole/deportees

A Grenadian woman told me once Grenadians could never  be hungry  no place on earth, once they have flour, sugar and oil in their house
Flour make, cakes, dumpling, bread!!, bakes etc

#10 Jan 18, 2017 1:29 am

Aim

Brian 2.0 wrote:

...and hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn sweetener. Allbody full dem belly, but nonadem healthy.

Which is why the food property education has to start in school - primary school level to teach better eating habits. So people are aware that when they see a bottle of something they can read the label and realize what is high fructose corn syrup and what is hydrogenated oil. How not to reuse/reheat oils already used because that is not good. How to not use all those food colors etc. We have a long way to go but there has to be a start somewhere. Each one teach one.

Board footer