You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#31 May 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: The last photo of Maurice Bishop

The photo is gut wrenching. Look at those happy people!  They have no idea what is coming at them.  They have no idea how history is about to happen right before their eyes in a most terrible way.  From that balcony they could see all of St. George's laid out before them.  They were with their leader.   They probably felt the euphoria people feel when they take active roles in their own destinies.

And yet there is a darkness.  I wonder if they looked up they would see armored vehicles barely visible at Fort Frederick.  I wonder if they would see them setting out.  If they did, did they give it a second thought?  Did they assume that the people of the People's Revolutionary Army were coming to support their leader?

The photo is terrifying to me.  It is a photo of joyous people moments before unimaginable horror descends.   Within short hours of this photo real people were really put up against the wall and really machine gunned.  It seems inconceivable!  How thin is the veneer of civilization then and wherever we each are now.

Every person in that photo is the hero of his own life story and every person in that photo is about to get a terrible chapter added to their stories.  This moment, however, is frozen in time.  It is forever happy and forever foreboding.

#32 May 14, 2018 3:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The photo is gut wrenching. Look at those happy people!  They have no idea what is coming at them.  They have no idea how history is about to happen right before their eyes in a most terrible way.  From that balcony they could see all of St. George's laid out before them.  They were with their leader.   They probably felt the euphoria people feel when they take active roles in their own destinies.

And yet there is a darkness.  I wonder if they looked up they would see armored vehicles barely visible at Fort Frederick.  I wonder if they would see them setting out.  If they did, did they give it a second thought?  Did they assume that the people of the People's Revolutionary Army were coming to support their leader?

The photo is terrifying to me.  It is a photo of joyous people moments before unimaginable horror descends.   Within short hours of this photo real people were really put up against the wall and really machine gunned.  It seems inconceivable!  How thin is the veneer of civilization then and wherever we each are now.

Every person in that photo is the hero of his own life story and every person in that photo is about to get a terrible chapter added to their stories.  This moment, however, is frozen in time.  It is forever happy and forever foreboding.

Well said sir.

#33 May 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Well said sir.

I am surprised that RD, the American Soldier, sent by the CIA did not know what was about to take place. Poor Bishop, if only he knew that he was about to be eaten by American-led sharks in murky water!! Well, that is life!!

#34 May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Slice
Active

Maurice was not in any of those graves.  It is believed and the source would not make that mistake.  Maurice's body was taken to the US.

#35 May 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Calypso wrote:

I am surprised that RD, the American Soldier, sent by the CIA did not know what was about to take place. Poor Bishop, if only he knew that he was about to be eaten by American-led sharks in murky water!! Well, that is life!!

I turned 20 in October 1983.  October 25, 1983 was less than a year and half after I graduated high school.  I was a private.

I had never even heard the name "Maurice Bishop" until a week into the invasion.

In the grand scheme of things, I was nobody.  Just a kid along for the ride.  The CIA didn't send me anywhere.

#36 May 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Calypso wrote:

I turned 20 in October 1983.  October 25, 1983 was less than a year and half after I graduated high school.  I was a private.

I had never even heard the name "Maurice Bishop" until a week into the invasion.

In the grand scheme of things, I was nobody.  Just a kid along for the ride.  The CIA didn't send me anywhere.

Why do they use kid soldiers to fight wars in Africa and else where? Because the little runts are unassuming even though they mask a powerful weapons!!  You would  have been the perfect example at aged 20!!

#37 May 14, 2018 9:53 pm

New Historian
Active

Calypso wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Why do they use kid soldiers to fight wars in Africa and else where? Because the little runts are unassuming even though they mask a powerful weapons!!  You would  have been the perfect example at aged 20!!

Have you ever been told you've got an over-active imagination? By the time of the invasion, the need for US spies had gone: it was shootin' time. And by the way, "kid soldiers" aren't 20, they're 10.

#38 May 15, 2018 3:24 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Have you ever been told you've got an over-active imagination? By the time of the invasion, the need for US spies had gone: it was shootin' time. And by the way, "kid soldiers" aren't 20, they're 10.

"Just a kid along for the ride"

If you are inexperienced in war tactics, then you're just a kid!

#39 May 15, 2018 8:17 am

New Historian
Active

Okay, kiddo!

#40 May 15, 2018 9:11 am

Real Distwalker
Active

When I said I was a 'kid' I didn't mean to claim or even imply that I was literally a child.  Sheesh.  I was merely making the case that I was just a rank and file nobody and certainly not some kind of an operative.  I was a private who did what I was told minute to minute.   I was a peon.

Board footer