You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 May 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Expat
Active

Re: I told you.

gripe wrote:

NH, how in heaven's name could a scenario that I described lead you to conclude that the smaller country's problem would be the same as the larger country's where they -- the larger country -- would have to service a tremendously greater obese population than the smaller country? At a most basic level, 100 is always more than 10 and therefore much more resources -- in raw terms -- would be needed to address the problems of the country where there are more obese people. You may be assuming that the smaller country has very limited resources that would be diverted to care for those of their citizens who are obese. That assumption may not be accurate. Possibly, the smaller country may have significant resources and can easily help those of its citizens that are obese. Further, it may be the case that the larger country would NOT have the resources to treat its obese citizens. In that case, with its significantly larger numbers that are obese, compared to the smaller country, the larger country may be much worse off than the smaller country in my hypothetical.

I think you are so intent on making a point you are going round in circles to do it.

the larger country might not be able to afford it, the smaller country might not be able to afford it, and vice versa.  You friend are flailing like a fish on the waters edge.

#12 May 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am telling you, a significant portion of any population doesn't have the willpower to overcome want and desire. Once the cost of food becomes de minimis, a non-trivial percentage will overindulge. After two or three generations of this, you will see in obesity epidemic. No country is immune. You can beat up Americans all you want, but at the end of the day, they are no different than anyone else. Superabundance over two or three generations results in big fat livestock, and big fat populations of humans too.

Your argument that certain people eat healthier than other people is true. There are plenty of Americans who eat healthy food. For the last 10 years of my life, I have been one of them. I am 6 foot 4 inches tall and right now weigh 203 pounds. That's pretty damn good for a 54 year old man.

Meanwhile, in Japan or India or anywhere else you will find people who eat too much and are fat. Britain is proving that in the third generation of superabundance, obesity becomes a problem for a percentage of the population. You are going to see more and more of it in the developed world. You can tell yourself that this is an American disease, but it is not. It is a human disease.

#13 May 21, 2018 12:02 am

gripe
Active

Expat, your contribution might have been more worthy if you had resisted the urge to attack me and, instead, provide some substance to the debate. Difficult issues to be resolved of necessity need full appreciation and examination of all the variables that could explain the situation. Those issues don't have easy answers.

However, what you made very easy is that taking personal swipes is not a healthy thing. I am sure that you are quite aware of that fact. So, next time, please add to the debate.

#14 May 21, 2018 5:56 am

Slice
Active

Now ah doh know much about England, but ah want to agree and disagree with RD.  Rd says he eat healthy, but he continues to eat beef and pork that are treated harmones.  Ah doh think that is eating healthy. There is a Health Food craze in America, and tons of Americans are really trying to eat healthy. On any given day, you visit a Health Food store, those places are usually loaded with folks that are trying to eat healthy.

I think in general most countries around the world hate America.  Grenada included in that group, maybe it is jealousy, ah doh know.  These days ah find meself defending America, and I am gaining some enemies right here in Grenada

#15 May 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Expat
Active

gripe wrote:

Expat, your contribution might have been more worthy if you had resisted the urge to attack me and, instead, provide some substance to the debate. Difficult issues to be resolved of necessity need full appreciation and examination of all the variables that could explain the situation. Those issues don't have easy answers.

However, what you made very easy is that taking personal swipes is not a healthy thing. I am sure that you are quite aware of that fact. So, next time, please add to the debate.

It wasn't an attack. If you had been attacked you would have known it. Maybe you need to apply some skin thickening cream?

That was written illustration of what you were doing, spinning like a top in mud making very little sense. You were over complicating and tying yourself up in knots. If I was wrong or being brutish, I might apologise, but I wasn't so I wont.

#16 May 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Now ah doh know much about England, but ah want to agree and disagree with RD.  Rd says he eat healthy, but he continues to eat beef and pork that are treated harmones.  Ah doh think that is eating healthy. There is a Health Food craze in America, and tons of Americans are really trying to eat healthy. On any given day, you visit a Health Food store, those places are usually loaded with folks that are trying to eat healthy.

I think in general most countries around the world hate America.  Grenada included in that group, maybe it is jealousy, ah doh know.  These days ah find meself defending America, and I am gaining some enemies right here in Grenada

You have a good point about the feed and chemical additions to the meats. Probably the growth hormones are being injected while we type.

Having said that Brit and Europe inject chickens for salmonella which means unless the egg is soiled it doesn't have to be washed. Normally for caged birds the egg passes out and down a chute without being contaminated.

whereas in Amerikee the eggs are washed and chilled which means your "fresh" egg might be 50 days old.

#17 May 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

By 'eat healthy' I mean I limit portion sizes, get most calories from fruit, vegetables and grain, eat fish and chicken more than beef and pork and avoid refined sugars and processed foods.  I am not a health food nut.  I am just a sensible eater.

#18 May 22, 2018 10:12 am

Expat
Active

I thought eating healthily was only getting a double veggie burger and chips.  smile

From distant memory I believe even the apple pie slices they sell in MacDonalds is toxic.

Lets see, Sorbitol, a sugar alcohol can be a laxative, sugar, high fructrose corn syrup, Dextrose, Brown sugar... Other ingredients including   gasp apples, but how much sugar or how many different types do you need in a simple apple pie slice.

>>
Ingredients

BAKED APPLE PIE (Apples (Apples, Salt, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid), Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Palm Oil, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Contains 2% or Less: Modified Food Starch, Sorbitol, Dextrose, Brown Sugar, Yeast, Salt, Cinnamon, Apple Powder (Dehydrated Apples, Citric Acid), Sodium Alginate, Spice, Trisodium Citrate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Hydroxylated Soy Lecithin, Yeast Extract, Enzyme, L-Cysteine, Color (Annatto, Turmeric, Beta Carotene, Caramel Color).)
<<

#19 May 22, 2018 10:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I only rarely eat at McDonalds but, clearly, it won't hurt in a pinch once in a while.

Wow!  Look at all those ingredients.  Ingredients are bad.  It doesn't even list all of the ingredients.  I happen to know that it also contains dihydrogen monoxide!

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

#20 May 22, 2018 10:24 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Never eat a banana!

Untitled.png

Board footer