You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 May 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: It's not just gun owners that need regulation, its their mad family!

Overall, gun violence in the US has been falling steadily for more than 20 years.  It is at the lowest point since the late 1960s.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 … n-the-u-s/

#12 May 21, 2018 9:17 pm

houston
Active

Yet mass shootings become a common event?
Sum ting wong there with the numbers.

#13 May 22, 2018 12:38 am

Real Distwalker
Active

With all due respect, there is nothing wrong with the numbers.  There is something wrong with the perception of the public.

#14 May 22, 2018 9:58 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Yeah, America is sick Expat. It is so fun to hack on the US.  Meanwhile, back in the UK Pakis hold little girls as sex slaves and the biggest concern of the Home Office is that I just illegally used the word 'Paki' on the Internet.

There is plenty of sickness to go around.

Quite right, but I don't think your use of the word Paki is the Home Offices biggest concern by a long way. Touch of the straw man syndrome there bro.

For a minute there I thought you were starting to sound like the Black Posse complaining they are being singled out for stop and search when the majority of the drug shootings etc are being committed if not by Blacks, but in areas where they predominate.... So where else would you expect the Police to target? Windsor Castle....

Same with America, if there are issues they get mentioned, and you are more than welcome to tell us about the British short comings.... I know as an insider there are plenty.

#15 May 22, 2018 10:11 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Fair enough.  Still, the hacking on the United States gets old.  I just got back from San Diego. 

My 13 year old and his team won an state championship in robotic engineering and we went to the international competition.  There were teams there from five continents.  (Japanese and Korean teams won big, surprise, surprise.)

I spoke to some of the international coaches.  A Korean coach went on and on about how wonderful their experience in the US is.

The United States is a fine country.  It has its challenges but all countries do.  To hear it told on this forum every American is an obese, ignorant, violent redneck.   

It just gets old and some of the people who propagate this wouldn't appreciated it a bit of they were characterized by the worst stereotypes of their culture or country.

(PS: I wasn't so much engaging in straw man argument as I was hyperbole.)

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 22, 2018 10:13 am)

#16 May 22, 2018 10:25 am

Expat
Active

The Brits have been taking the piss out the Americans since 1776 ?  I think it was.  Often aided and abetted by Americans.

Likewise the Germans are lampooned, the French are ridiculed, and the Italians.... well they just run away don't they.... but wearing pretty feathered hats. If you haven't quite realised that you no longer run 3/4 of the World, and that you are not superior to everyone else by default, that is what you do. It is the death throws of an Empire.

America carries the baton by being gauche and pushy with vast swathes of the population  (charecterised by your President) having little understanding of the World outside your boarders. But as with Britain of old, Might makes it right.

#17 May 22, 2018 10:34 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

If you haven't quite realised that you no longer run 3/4 of the World, and that you are not superior to everyone else by default, that is what you do. It is the death throws of an Empire.

The US is 4.4% of the world population and 24.6% of the world's GDP and that GDP percentage has increased in the last two years.  The US has 1/4 the people of China and twice the GDP.

Even per capita GDP is greater than Germany, Japan, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Austria, France, Belgium....

I am not worried.

#18 May 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

If you haven't quite realised that you no longer run 3/4 of the World, and that you are not superior to everyone else by default, that is what you do. It is the death throws of an Empire.

The US is 4.4% of the world population and 24.6% of the world's GDP and that GDP percentage has increased in the last two years.  The US has 1/4 the people of China and twice the GDP.

Even per capita GDP is greater than Germany, Japan, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Austria, France, Belgium....

I am not worried.

I think it was obvious, I expect you got it, but I was talking about the British Empire yeah?

#19 May 22, 2018 9:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I knew you were talking about the Empire Upon Which The Sun Never Set, but I thought it was meant to be a warning to me as an American.

I am certain we will see the sun set on America but I doubt I will live long enough to witness it.

The UK is still one of the very best nations in the world today.  If I had to be born somewhere other than the US, I think it would be - in no particular order - the UK, Canada, Switzerland or Australia.

#20 May 22, 2018 9:53 pm

New Historian
Active

UK, Canada, Switzerland or Australia

Lawd man you have to be so boring lol???

Board footer