You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 29, 2018 10:39 am

Expat
Active

Starbuck retraing ALL staff about unconscious prejudice

I just saw the footage from the Starbucks incident a couple of months ago.

We don't know what exchanges took place prior to the film, or the arrival of the police.

However, in contrast to the "Grenadian" Macdonalds incident posted a few days ago. The "victims" of discrimination in Starbucks were quiet and respectful, and simply followed due process. Yet as a result an entire American chain is taking time out to teach it's staff about bias.

Nobody is taking time out about an incident where smart arse "it's racism" "we know our rights" people in Germany got pretty much the same treatment. The police in both cases simply did what is required, they were not aggressive or unruly. Just calm, and "you need to leave". Although I thought the Germans could have got their food put in doggy bags.

While many times the person being removed may well be in the right. Getting pumped up and blustering is not going to help your case.

On a few occasions even in Britain I have passed a mostly Black youth mouthing off at the police in attendance, looking very hostile and ready to take on the World. Again the person may be being stopped or arrested, or incorrectly identified as a person of interest. Yet my thoughts as I drive by. Don't be a total pratt, you are making things worse for yourself.

I have been stopped and searched, they explained why, I went along with it, and bidabingbidabang off they went, and so did I.

#2 May 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Starbuck retraing ALL staff about unconscious prejudice

The Onion...

Untitled2.png

NYERI, KENYA—Reacting to news that Starbucks will close more than 8,000 locations for a day to conduct anti-discrimination training, impoverished Kenyan bean picker Adamu Mwangi told reporters Wednesday he couldn’t wait to hear the international coffee giant’s perspectives on racial sensitivity. “I think this could turn out to be really interesting,” said Mwangi, who added that after completing a 14-hour shift Saturday harvesting beans for Starbucks’ Kenya-brand coffee, the highlight of his week had been reading what CEO Kevin Johnson had to say about how minorities are treated by his multibillion-dollar corporation. “Not every company is willing to take on an issue as complicated as race, and I’m just excited to find out how they plan to address inequality moving forward. Hopefully, we’ll see some real, concrete change from this.” At press time, sources confirmed Mwangi had been beaten unconscious on the job after being inspired by Starbucks to engage his fellow farmhands in a discussion about racial injustice in all its forms.

#3 May 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Expat
Active

I guess Starbucks hasn't signed up to fair trade yet?  Or have a different interpretation to what it might be to most US workers?

#4 May 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Slice
Active

Now you maybe doh like Strabucks, but that company do not promote racism.  The owners of that company, should be an example for all ah America.  The owners of that company leads by example.  That was some rogue employee, that created that problem.  I think what they did today, was an over kill.

Last edited by Slice (May 29, 2018 5:04 pm)

#5 May 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Now you maybe doh like Strabucks, but that company do not promote racism.  The owners of that company, should be an example for all ah America.  The owners of that company leads by example.  That was some rogue employee, that created that problem.  I think what they did today, was an over kill.

Not too sure how it escalated, but despite me praising the "victims" for not quarreling with the police, and making a fuss as they were walked away.

Despite waiting for a client to turn up, why didn't they order a coffee while they waited? It would have prevented the confrontation having ever started. Just like some eateries would get out of shape if you bring your own sandwiches, or even on airlines if you bring your own drink on board.

I don't think I would have sat for more than a couple of minutes without ordering would you?

#6 May 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I feel the need to make a nominal purchase if I stop at a convenience store on the highway to take a piss.  It's just good manners.

#7 May 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I feel the need to make a nominal purchase if I stop at a convenience store on the highway to take a piss.  It's just good manners.

Taking the piss and good manners don't really go together..... smile

Cough cough splutter, yes I know exactly what you mean.... LoL.

Board footer