You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Expat
Active

I am going to have to play tourist

I was just watching what I think was a Virgin holiday promo about Grenada on Uthingy, and There were quite a few possible points of interest I have not either known about, or known about and not been to.

My Cousin comes over later in the year, so I think I am going to play tourist, rather than just driving folks to the usual spots.

#2 May 31, 2018 7:30 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: I am going to have to play tourist

What is an example of what you haven't yet seen?

#3 May 31, 2018 8:12 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

What is an example of what you haven't yet seen?

The slave pen, Sulphur ponds, Belmont Estate, Quite a few things really, but it's a bit like living all your life in London. Apart from the obvious things like M Tussauds, Tower of London, and the Museums, there is loads of stuff I haven't checked out... including the War Rooms.

Would never bother with the EYE, as up until old age started eroding it I had a 3D image of nearly all of London grafted into my brain... Rather like a Taxi driver.

Same kinda thing with Grenada, I've been round it maybe 3 or 4 times, and apart from those points of interest everywhere looks pretty much the same, so why go out of your local area.

#4 May 31, 2018 8:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

We went to the War Rooms in 2016.  It was pretty interesting.  Of course we went on the Eye too but we had a kid with us.

#5 May 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

We went to the War Rooms in 2016.  It was pretty interesting.  Of course we went on the Eye too but we had a kid with us.

Nothing wrong with going on the eye.... Unless everything your going to see is nestled in your hypothalamus. Or rather you are aware of it because of said piece of brain. There was a time when you could have dropped me literally anywhere in London, and apart from a couple of very small areas I could have driven from a-b without a hitch after seeing a couple of streets to get my bearings.

Once with no word of a lie I was distracted and made a turn one road too early.... London is not a straight grid, and this was out a bit. Could have ended up anywhere, or in a dead end... Which would have been embarrassing. I literally drove using the Sun until I hit a piece I knew. One wrong turn with one way systems and all could really put you in a bad place... ;(

#6 Jun 01, 2018 9:22 am

Dancer
Active

Good thinking about being a local tourist.
When I encourage 'natives' to visit local attractions .  I am surprise when some say " I have never been there  before "

#7 Jun 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I actually found the Eye to be far more interesting from an engineering standpoint than anything else.   

We did a lot... Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral, British Museum, Natural History Museum, Herrod's, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall area, Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace, War Rooms, Hampton Court Palace and a side trip to Bath and Stonehenge.

In Grenada the I have been to Belmont Estate.  The others you mention I don't think so.

#8 Jun 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Slice
Active

The Spice is an interesting place.  I have not started my so-called discovery, just yet, but with Wiffee coming later this month, I am sure I will be busy.  I went to Petit Anse, and can't wait to go back.  The food is great and the view is magnificent.  The owner and his wife I think they are English folks wait tables bare feet.  They always try to meet everyone of their guest.  I think Belmont and Petit Anse is ah day.  Then there is the only rum  distillery in Grenada,  I must do the Rivers plant.  I heard they sold a majority to Americans, hope the Americans, doh spoil the thing.

Here is the crazy thing, lately I find myself defending America.  Some Grenadains see America as what they see on TV.  Just last night at 12am, this fool never left Morne Delice, started bad talking America, I almost threw him out outa me property.  Then he did something very interesting he opened ah beer and pour half in a cup and left the other half.  One ah me PADNAH said, no way in the world folks do that, it is either you drink the damn thing or throw it away.  Folks just doh do, what you just did.  I said ah rest my case, this fool is ah real JACKASS. I stopped him from drinking anything but Stag or Carib.  He got really offended and left.  Praise the lord.

#9 Jun 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Tell more.  What was his complaint about America and how did you end up defending it?

Board footer