You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Expat
Active

Slice - on the docks

Dude I went for an item on the Docks this morning.

In and out in about an hour. I think it worked out at about 65% duty, which is way too much, but what I believe the tariff is for that kind of item. No Broker, and just a $5 drop to a stevedore for finding the item..... which I actually spotted myself, but being my first solo expedition it was worth being told what to do as I went along.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 05, 2018 3:18 pm)

#2 Jun 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Slice - on the docks

Man you lucky.  The second in charge did say, there will be changes coming; maybe they came,  Got there are 8am one the 21st of April, did not leave until sometime after five.  I was coffee deprived, was hungry, wore the wrong pair of boots that day, and ah starving.  Probebly the worst day of my life.  Can't smoke and can't even drink water on that God Forsaken place.  That ah FRIGGING nightmare.  Lord ah doh never want to remember that day.

#3 Jun 05, 2018 7:07 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

Man you lucky.  The second in charge did say, there will be changes coming; maybe they came,  Got there are 8am one the 21st of April, did not leave until sometime after five.  I was coffee deprived, was hungry, wore the wrong pair of boots that day, and ah starving.  Probebly the worst day of my life.  Can't smoke and can't even drink water on that God Forsaken place.  That ah FRIGGING nightmare.  Lord ah doh never want to remember that day.

I feel your pain, it's incredibly harassing to clear stuff from de "pote", especially when you're new to the bureaucratic BS.

#4 Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Maybe you are just plain unlucky?

When I shipped in the container it took time - yes - but only as long as it took to break the containers and offload them onto the trucks we organised, plus a little bit of bureaucracy.

The longest delay which occurred on another day due no body being available that day was bringing in the Harley, as I had to wait on a police to inspect it. Once it was OK for the road, the processing was fairly quick.

I guess I know so use a good broker, who knows who is who and what is what. the only time we have a problem is when the payment queues are long, so then it's off the the one outside the docks and hope the queue is shorter.

Not that I used a broker for this one item today. I was all on my jack jones.

#5 Jun 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Slice
Active

NH, one day you indicated you will return, please lets us know your experience, when it is all over.  Ah bet it go be ah living breathing nightmare.

#6 Jun 06, 2018 4:06 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

NH, one day you indicated you will return, please lets us know your experience, when it is all over.  Ah bet it go be ah living breathing nightmare.

Well actually this time around will be my second time "returning" - and I have to say the first was a breeze. I got my concessions in a morning, and cleared my car and stuff in a day. It can be a pain, sounds like you were unlucked.

Board footer