You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 06, 2018 9:39 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Summer House!

One reason why so few real estate transactions are done in Grenada is people's asking price. A lot of people have a very "inflated" opinion of the value of their property, and are in no hurry to sell so they hold on until, if ever, they get something close to their asking price. Nothing wrong with that.

#12 Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am

Expat
Active

I also think there is a miss match in perceptions as to what the money lenders involvement is.

I think people in Grenada have the property assessed by the lender who will put a value on it, and then think THAT is the value of the property NOoooo it is not. That is the value the Bank deems is a no risk lending figure for them if you default. So they can sell the property out from under you without having any concern as to if you get a share in the amount made from the sale. It is what it is worth to them, not to you.

In the UK it is targeted the other way around, although there have been or can be 100% mortgages, generally speaking the bank gives you 80 or 90 percent of their valuation, and you have to put down the 10 or 20% deposit. But it is the same story, the Bank only lends what it is happy it can get back easily, ie. at auction.

So when the bank says it is worth $500,000 the purchaser tells the owner.... it's only worth $500,000, Na, it is probably worth $6, 0r $700,000. In the current market. 10 years ago $300,000 in another 10 years maybe $500,000, as properties are poorly built often with sea sand, and they will just crumble with age, which makes an older building liable to depreciation.

Owners except in places like Scotland that use a quirky sales system, always mark a property up to allow something to be bargained off. But you may well be right that here people overrate their properties?

#13 Jun 06, 2018 11:11 am

Dancer
Active

Nice House .
Thanks for the invite after Slice and New Historian  buys it for you .
BUT :
Ms Goody Two Shoes  ,  gives it all away  , for a house, a Summer home.
Well ! Could have been worst.

#14 Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

"ah looking to take care h Kaiso"

Lord knows, SOMEONE needs to, de girl need looking after, real bad oui.

Boy ah doh know if you want Kaiso, that ting real rusty.  It might take awhile to have that ting up and running. It might not worth your International time. Slice right here in Grenada, leh he handle Kaiso for you.

#15 Jun 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:
New Historian wrote:

"ah looking to take care h Kaiso"

Lord knows, SOMEONE needs to, de girl need looking after, real bad oui.

Boy ah doh know if you want Kaiso, that ting real rusty.  It might take awhile to have that ting up and running. It might not worth your International time. Slice right here in Grenada, leh he handle Kaiso for you.

Slice, the older the architecture of the house is the better.  I saw some nice old houses in Gree when I was there. Sure it's going to take at least two million to renovate it and clean it up but just to preserve the past is something good.  Being built in 1925 doesn't  make it that old. If I had the money I'd certainly use it for a summer home. Just to escape the cold winters to a glorious in a warm climate is a dream.

#16 Jun 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Slice
Active

All ah go say, is you have expensive taste. Me and doh like antique.  Gee me something modern.  BTW when you coming back to Grenada? Are you coming alone or with the family? Come alone nah.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 06, 2018 6:20 pm)

#17 Jun 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

All ah go say, is you have expensive taste. Me and doh like antique.  Gee me something modern.  BTW when you coming back to Grenada? Are you coming alone or with the family? Come alone nah.

To preserved antiquity is  always having a glimpse of the past.  It is always a reminder of what it used to be as we are living in the present.

Here is a famous house in Jamaica. It has an haunting history of obeah, betrayal and murder.

Last edited by Calypso (Jun 06, 2018 7:05 pm)

#18 Jun 07, 2018 6:24 am

Dancer
Active

On 21 st  April  1995 I was walking up those long  steps to  the Rose Hall Great House in Montego Bay when it was reported that in Oklahoma City was a bomb blast.
The Tour of the house was fine . I do have some photos of that day trip ,  inside    the  house and  outside on the grounds.
On the long road to Rose Hall I remember this woman in some shack off the highway selling obeah nick-nacks and wanting to read anyone's  fortune for a fee.
Then we went back to the ... 'The Sea Winds Hotel ' where part of its beach  property  catered to nudist sea bathers .

#19 Jun 07, 2018 8:19 am

New Historian
Active

'Then we went back to the ... 'The Sea Winds Hotel ' where part of its beach  property  catered to nudist sea bathers .'

So you got a good all-over tan? Send holiday pics nuh?

#20 Jun 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

'Then we went back to the ... 'The Sea Winds Hotel ' where part of its beach  property  catered to nudist sea bathers .'

So you got a good all-over tan? Send holiday pics nuh?

Were you nude on the beach? If you were, could you please post a picture for  us to see?

Board footer