You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 09, 2018 6:10 pm

houston
Active

Foodies will miss this guy

Parts Unknown was an excellent program.
Bourdain may have been "The Most Interesting Man in the World"
He certainly had the most interesting job.
http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/fo … d_articles

#2 Jun 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Foodies will miss this guy

He topped himself didn't he?

Last edited by Expat (Jun 09, 2018 7:06 pm)

#3 Jun 09, 2018 7:19 pm

houston
Active

Apparently so. Always sad when those that seem to have everything take their own life for reasons unknown.

#4 Jun 10, 2018 1:08 am

Calypso
Active

houston wrote:

Apparently so. Always sad when those that seem to have everything take their own life for reasons unknown.

I was thinking about him today. I like that guy. He did mention that with all his success he was not happy. Sometimes people suffer from depression that leaves them with anguish. To get out of that state,thkey take your own life. That is what he did!! May he find the peace his tortured soul craved.

#5 Jun 10, 2018 7:25 am

Slice
Active

He did have ah drug problem in his past life, maybe he went back to drugs.

#6 Jun 10, 2018 7:32 am

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

He did have ah drug problem in his past life, maybe he went back to drugs.

I doubt that. Depression, trust me!

#7 Jun 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Expat
Active

I have known 3 people who have taken their own life. Coincidentally all Women, but I think it is usually more Men that do it..?

The key point being they were all bright bubbly people. Who knew what sorrows they held within.

#8 Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am

Vanni
Active

Yes, the depressive people may appear as the most optimistic, most caring and in particular most humourous people. But something broods underneath, and suddenly there is a trigger, which no one else notices obviously, it becomes too much, and if the person had ever considered and planned at one point their departure, that's the moment they may have the overwhelming pulsion to put it into action.

So, one of the first precautions, is for someone who ever planned a suicide, to reconsider their plans, to take a vow to go further than they thought they could ever go, to the absurd if necessary - there is always time later to still opt for an exit. But to reconsider the plans and to decide to stick to life beyond one's own feeling of inability to face it, so there is not a readiness for suicide, which a moment of distress could activate.

Depression can be considered differently than an illness, like an openness of the soul - extreme sensitivity. But indeed, in some cases, this openness and sensitivity are just an endless pain and can make life a plea. However: what do we know of what we came here to do, of our "mission" - or better, our commitment toward ourselves, if not toward someone else, and what is the final purpose of our life, and of whatever we may be considering as our weakness, which is at the same time our treasure, our gem, which can reveal itself and blossom at the ultimate moment?

Last edited by Vanni (Jun 13, 2018 10:33 am)

#9 Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am

Expat
Active

As I said earlier on, I think often times the depression whilst not helped by bad events surrounding the person, will often times be a chemical imbalance. One that may never become balanced.

However once these poor souls have departed I bet one or two years down the road had they not ended it all they might well have looked back and have said.... Thank goodness I didn't kill myself. Just as we don't know what miseries are ahead, neither do we know what joys are there to be had.

Board footer