You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Jun 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WOMEN AND BATHROOMS IN GRENADA

houston wrote:
Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

That's a relief to know.
What about the origins of S.H.I.T (ship high in transit) and F.U.C.K (for unlawful carnal knowledge) ?
Did the English invent those bad words?

Its quite easy to do a google search you know.

Shit.. Germanic/old English

FK has Germanic, and Latin or Greek Roots

Let those fingers do the walking. Don't be lazy.

Nay, google is too easy.
Lord Nelson's body was somehow squeezed into a keg of brandy to preserve it for the trip back to Gibraltar. During the journey the crew would get thirsty for a ladle of grog and dip into the barrel. Nelson's back side was facing upward in the keg.
The thirsty sailors would nod with their ladles and say "Bottoms Up"

Obviously not too easy for you, or you wouldn't keep coming up with these fantasmagorical BS stories.

Even scurvy ridden sailors would have had to have had an extremely strong stomach to dip in a barrel of pickled Nelson.

A far more likely story is that back in the day when sailors were needed for recruit a shilling was dropped in their tankard without them seeing. By the time they had reached the bottom of the drink they were deemed to have accepted the Kings shilling, and would be signed on the next morning. Publicans realising the scam had tankards made with glass bottoms, and would shout bottoms up to make people check whether they were being forcibly recruited

Also bottoms up is a way to get you to finish your drink more quickly..

I think you may well be right about Nelson in a Barrel, but I cannot see people drinking from it. Nelson was a small man, I am pretty sure they could have lowered him in and sat him down without doubling him up to get him in. Additionally there are tales about the sailors drilling the cask and draining it empty.. Not true, half way through the return to England the decomposition of Lord Nelson caused the lid to burst open. Nelson was not in a fit state to be in an open coffin when he returned to the UK. He was actually finally kept in a lead lined coffin STILL in Brandy until he was entombed 80 days later.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 13, 2018 8:04 pm)

#22 Jun 14, 2018 7:39 am

GMW
Active

>>AA Mr, MIA.  Wait ah minute you posted and it had not ah ting to do with race. <<

LOL. Race and cricket. As far as race goes this lame forum as it has become is guilty of pacifying and normalizing the upsurge of racism and Nazi-like Trumpism that is spreading like wild fire. So go ahead, pretend it ain't so. I won't.

I'll be down shortly. Will give you a heads up. In the mean time get some hooks and a line. River time.

#23 Jun 14, 2018 7:54 am

New Historian
Active

"In the mean time get some hooks and a line. River time."

Where you go river fishing in Grenada?

#24 Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:
Expat wrote:

Its quite easy to do a google search you know.

Shit.. Germanic/old English

FK has Germanic, and Latin or Greek Roots

Let those fingers do the walking. Don't be lazy.

Nay, google is too easy.
Lord Nelson's body was somehow squeezed into a keg of brandy to preserve it for the trip back to Gibraltar. During the journey the crew would get thirsty for a ladle of grog and dip into the barrel. Nelson's back side was facing upward in the keg.
The thirsty sailors would nod with their ladles and say "Bottoms Up"

Obviously not too easy for you, or you wouldn't keep coming up with these fantasmagorical BS stories.

Even scurvy ridden sailors would have had to have had an extremely strong stomach to dip in a barrel of pickled Nelson.

A far more likely story is that back in the day when sailors were needed for recruit a shilling was dropped in their tankard without them seeing. By the time they had reached the bottom of the drink they were deemed to have accepted the Kings shilling, and would be signed on the next morning. Publicans realising the scam had tankards made with glass bottoms, and would shout bottoms up to make people check whether they were being forcibly recruited

Also bottoms up is a way to get you to finish your drink more quickly..

I think you may well be right about Nelson in a Barrel, but I cannot see people drinking from it. Nelson was a small man, I am pretty sure they could have lowered him in and sat him down without doubling him up to get him in. Additionally there are tales about the sailors drilling the cask and draining it empty.. Not true, half way through the return to England the decomposition of Lord Nelson caused the lid to burst open. Nelson was not in a fit state to be in an open coffin when he returned to the UK. He was actually finally kept in a lead lined coffin STILL in Brandy until he was entombed 80 days later.

Thanks for the clarification Expat, another lesson learned.
Yes Sir, you are the smartest person in the room.
I'm sure Sally the dog would agree.

#25 Jun 15, 2018 7:01 am

Slice
Active

GMW wrote:

>>AA Mr, MIA.  Wait ah minute you posted and it had not ah ting to do with race. <<

LOL. Race and cricket. As far as race goes this lame forum as it has become is guilty of pacifying and normalizing the upsurge of racism and Nazi-like Trumpism that is spreading like wild fire. So go ahead, pretend it ain't so. I won't.

I'll be down shortly. Will give you a heads up. In the mean time get some hooks and a line. River time.

That I am going to do.  I will fish for Red tails.  BTW ah have about 2lbs in me fridge.  I ent going and fish in the sea. Lord every day is ah new experience with me and dem Grenadain women, but you see me ah taking Expat advice.

Ah ting come to check out the apartment ah have for rent yesterday, two hours later she still talking. Then at 12am she call wanting more info about the apartment.

I am now running scared.

#26 Jun 15, 2018 7:46 am

GMW
Active

New Historian wrote:

"In the mean time get some hooks and a line. River time."

Where you go river fishing in Grenada?

Woodford, Coco Dee, Hope. All over. Goes back to my days managing/producing Ajamu when he was still in competition. We would take a day off from preparation and spend it in the river. Most times I didn't ketch much but it's always a nice lil hike. Smallies, Coro and Jamu, they would catch crayfish where you thought there were none.

Of course you know what we call river.

Board footer