You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am

New Historian
Active

The Gold Ring

Now I KNOW I've not told this one before! Well, I think I haven't.....

It was Sunday afternoon and the family was at one of our favourite hangouts in Barbados: Mullins Beach. We lived just up the road so it was our regular weekend hangout, we knew all the jet-ski operators, vendors and staff at Mullins Beach Bar. The kids and I were frolicking in the beach, when suddenly a cry went up:

“Oh my God! My wedding ring’s gone!”

We turned around, to see which idiot had gone swimming with his ring on, and saw a large sunburnt Englishman, frantically looking around in the water. No one paid much attention, figuring a ring in the sea was a lost cause, until he shouted:

“It’s a solid gold ring, with a big diamond. It’s worth five thousand pounds! There’s a reward for whoever finds it!”

That got everyone springing into action! Someone brought some underwater goggles, and a few of us put them on and started looking in the water for the ring. I was swimming around underwater, away from everyone else, using my hands to stir up the sand, when all of a sudden the sand parted and looking up at me was the BIGGEST diamond I had ever seen, in my life! I was no judge of carats, but it was obvious this diamond was a bunch of them, not to mention the heavy gold ring it was embedded in.

My eyes opened wide, I quietly palmed the ring and kept on “searching”. By this time there were about ten of us looking in the water, including my children. We’d bob up to the surface, gulp some air and go back down again, feeling among the sand for the ring. The owner of the ring was going frantic, imploring everyone to find his ring. Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Here’s your ring,” I said, and handed him the ring. I just couldn’t keep the guy’s ring while looking him in the eye. And besides, it was a difficult time for me, I was in desperate need for a new job, and funny as it may seem I actually thought about karma, and did I want this man’s bad ju-ju on me for purloining his ring?

When I gave him his ring he was beside himself with joy, and hurried off to tell his wife - and bring me my reward. A few minutes later he came up, shook my hand vigorously and gave me … fifty dollars! Not even US dollars, fifty measly Barbadian dollars. I was less than grateful.

“You call that a reward, for a ring you said cost five thousand pounds? Man keep your damn fifty dollars.” He actually took it back and put it in his pocket. One of the jet-ski guys was scathing:

“Man, you deserve that. What de rass you give de white man he ring back for?”

I had to laugh.

The following week I got a call: would I like to come for an interview? Three months later I started my dream job. Karma can be a bitch, but sometimes she can also be a gold ring!

#2 Jun 13, 2018 11:21 am

Slice
Active

Re: The Gold Ring

There you go, you got more than $50.00 Bajan.  Lord ah was kinda surprise that you thought about keeping the ring.  Reminds the day, I went to play lottery,  The little girl gave me money, I spend $60 she gave me back ah hundred after paying with ah hundred.  I am not one to count my change, but as soon as I did, I ran back to gave her monies.  She thank me and ah left. That night ah hit for five gran.

#3 Jun 13, 2018 11:31 am

New Historian
Active

Temptation can be a terrible thing, but fortunately more powerful than that is the fundamental values of your childhood. It was also a good lesson to impart to my children.

#4 Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Slice
Active

Ah hope you Girl friend Kaiso, read those remarks from you, especially the part that mention your childhood.

#5 Jun 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Cheapskate for sure.  Good on the karma lesson.

I lost my wedding ring on the beach in Grenada in 2002.  I had put it in my ball cap and, forgetting, picked up my cap and gave it a snap of the wrist to open it.  The ring went flying.  We searched through the sand and found it.

Three years later I lost it again on Guam; this time for good.

#6 Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Expat
Active

OK, if there is 10 or 20 pound note on the ground, and it didn't just drop from someones pocket I am not going to run to the police station, but if I see it fall I am giving it back. If there is a case with a 100,000 left somewhere, I am going to hand it in. Thats me.

When I was on strike years ago for 16 weeks at Rolls Royce, I was doing a sheite car cleaning/handyman job just to keep alive. One time I went out with a Land Rover and a trailer to pick up a broken down car about 60 miles away. I had just been given the brown paper wage packet... which I dropped while I was loading the car.

That was one hungry week.... yet I bet someone else was happy.

#7 Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm

New Historian
Active

Once, in 1987, I was living in Jamaica and went to London for the summer. In those days in JA you couldn't get US dollars for love nor money, and I'd saved up the astronomical amount of US$1,500 for the trip. I had a long shopping list of the usuals: car parts, bike parts, kids clothes, books, records, etc. Me and my brother went to Notting Hill Carnival and had a ball; the following day I borrowed his bike and went to the bank to change the USD into pounds. And when I got there, my wallet was gone, never to be found! You know when you WANT to cry, but can't? Oh gord what a blow that was!!!

#8 Jun 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Expat
Active

I'm feeling for you all now...

I forgot to mention... now you've one upped me, I have to add a bit on.

On that trip with the car on the 4 wheeled trailer the trailer started to whip... You know the way, where it ends up rolling everything over.... yeah, it was whipping. Well I am told the only way to get over it is to drive through it and go faster. Problem being I was doing around 50 or so in and old SWB Landrover, and I can't remember exactly but maybe the top speed with that load on was 55-60. Not a lot of scope for powering out of the predicament. Anyway I gave it all I had, and it did settle down, but not a pleasant few moments.

Now there is the beauty of age, the youngsters can't pull up all the little anecdotes at the drop of a hat. They still have to make their own.

Reminds me, I was cutting the verge today outside my house, and this BMW car comes up the road VERY VERY slowly. I obviously have stopped so as not to flip stones at it. I wave it to come, it still crawls up the road, and the very attractive young Indian decent lady slows even more and says the road is bad.  I say as she is departing... not that bad. As they come back I again stop and flag them down, and told them if they had been around in the 80's they would not have been able to go out on the main road, as the potholes were like bottomless pits, and our bad road is almost good in comparison. And yes Slice I would have if I could have.... Yummmmmeeeee.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 13, 2018 8:31 pm)

#9 Jun 14, 2018 8:37 am

Dancer
Active

Mullins St Peter/James area , eh , eh , eh.
Rumors
Full of English guys , keep your nose clean New Historian.
Englishmen and .....
Sad.
Lmao.

#10 Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am

New Historian
Active

I laugh at these people in Grenada who buy low-rider cars, with fancy kits added on and low-profile tyres. Catch them on any sleeping policeman, inching diagonally across the thing and scraping their underbellies, big LOL!! Like those monster speed bumps out by Westerhall, crikey. Not to mention potholes. Dumb choice of car.

Board footer