You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 16, 2018 1:01 am

gripe
Active

Black Law Graduate: No Work, Applying for Welfare, Suicidal!

The sobering story is at this link:

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/recent- … -find-job/

#2 Jun 16, 2018 1:30 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Black Law Graduate: No Work, Applying for Welfare, Suicidal!

gripe wrote:

You know what? The story is pathetic! Sure, it would be tougher for him but it happens. He could take something in the  field part-time and work himself up. Join a support group or something. That is the problem with young people, they give up too easily. What jobs with the city is available to him in that position. He could work for the prison system, etc. THIS IS NO EXCUSE TO THINK ABOUT SUICIDE FOR THERE IS A WAY TO START. Law school should have told him that you have to join organizations and create interdependent relationships to get jobs.

#3 Jun 16, 2018 9:23 am

Expat
Active

You are right, and yet.

Attempting to get 600 jobs is a tough push. He is probably between a rock and a hard place. He hasn't passed the Bar, and is now OVERQUALIFIED for many jobs, and is probably older due to the time spent in UNI.

When it's all on you it can be crushing.

Even had he passed thew Bar, then work is not guaranteed, he is just below the first rung of a profession.

#4 Jun 16, 2018 10:35 am

Slice
Active

There is something to dat story, they are not telling.  The unemployment is 3%.  I ent taking that story at face value.

#5 Jun 16, 2018 12:25 pm

gripe
Active

Slice, why bring up that cynical argument? Can't you accept that some folks, despite all that they do, just get turned the wrong way to the point of utter frustration, even depression? Factor-in his minority status. The legal profession is acutely harsh towards Blacks, particularly males. It is a fact!

#6 Jun 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Expat
Active

gripe wrote:

Slice, why bring up that cynical argument? Can't you accept that some folks, despite all that they do, just get turned the wrong way to the point of utter frustration, even depression? Factor-in his minority status. The legal profession is acutely harsh towards Blacks, particularly males. It is a fact!

Yes, but he hasn't got as far as the legal profession, he is not yet qualified.

His issue is getting work while he retakes his Bar exam.

#7 Jun 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

You are right, and yet.

Attempting to get 600 jobs is a tough push. He is probably between a rock and a hard place. He hasn't passed the Bar, and is now OVERQUALIFIED for many jobs, and is probably older due to the time spent in UNI.

Even had he passed thew Bar, then work is not guaranteed, he is just below the first rung of a profession.

Guys, young people want it all up front and if they don't get it they give up. The school system does not teach them resilience. Being a black male is hard but he can make it. I have a teacher who is from Albania at my school. She went on over 100 job interviews. Our school hired her.  She gets hell from the parents because of her accent. They cannot get over the fact that she speaks with an accent. Americans see that as not being intelligent. They are the idiots; the ugly Americans. I have to face the fact that I am a Black, Caribbean teacher, in an area of black maids and nannies. What a pity that they didn't realize that education in America is very poor compared to mine in the Caribbean. Americans cuddle their children a lot and that gives them a sense of entitlement. When reality kicks them in the ass, they will find out. But then again, racism is about preventing people with a certain skin color to gain wealth. White America has it good  but in-order for them to be that strong, they have to set up institutions to take resources from people.

#8 Jun 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

You are right, and yet.

Guys, young people want it all up front and if they don't get it they give up. The school system does not teach them resilience. Being a black male is hard but he can make it. I have a teacher who is from Albania at my school. She went on over 100 job interviews. Our school hired her.  She gets hell from the parents because of her accent. They cannot get over the fact that she speaks with an accent. Americans see that as not being intelligent. They are the idiots; the ugly Americans. I have to face the fact that I am a Black, Caribbean teacher, in an area of black maids and nannies. What a pity that they didn't realize that education in America is very poor compared to mine in the Caribbean. Americans cuddle their children a lot and that gives them a sense of entitlement. When reality kicks them in the ass, they will find out. But then again, racism is about preventing people with a certain skin color to gain wealth. White America has it good  but in-order for them to be that strong, they have to set up institutions to take resources from people.

He went on 500 more if he is to be believed, or at least made the applications.

Personally I only ever went... and got the job I was after... different time, different place. I am pretty sure regardless of it being 3% out of work according to Slice, if you are part of that 3% it is still tough.

#9 Jun 17, 2018 6:46 am

Slice
Active

I am sticking to my story, there must be more to this guy, than that story is not revealing.  This story do not have to be true.  The unemployment rate is 3%, how he could not work?  I am ah firm believer, that there are two sides to every story and then there is the truth. I know racism is alive and well, but I am not one of those that blame racism on everything.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 18, 2018 7:26 am)

#10 Jun 17, 2018 7:14 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I am sticking to my story, there must be more to this guy, that that story is not revealing.  This story do not have to be true.  The unemployment rate is 3%, how he could not work?  I am ah firm believer, that there are two sides to every story and then there is the truth. I know racism is alive and well, but I am not one of those that blame racism on everything.

The clue was in the comment OVERQUALIFIED. He might try to get back office work in a Law Firm, but mostly he would be just trying to get work to pay his bills, and to live at this point. He would be going after pizza work, road cleaner work, van delivery work, all the unskilled jobs that the employer will not give you because they KNOW you are too smart, and you wont stay in the job.  3% means nothing when you can't get hired. Ir could be 1/2%.

Just like I couldn't get employment as a Barrister, or a Doctor, or a Teacher, because I was UNDER QUALIFIED. More commonly known as a dumbass.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 17, 2018 7:15 am)

Board footer