You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 17, 2018 7:46 am

New Historian
Active

Speaking of Americans

Someone put this on Facebook, not me but....

"Why are Americans always saying ... that’s not who we are? People acting like separating children from the parents at the border is the epitome of the worst thing in the world. This is America - interning Japanese families; enslaving Africans and selling their children for centuries, experimenting on black people in the Tuskegee experiments, trail of tears and massacre of native people and then installing them on reservations .... are we serious? This separation of children at the border is damned sure American. This fiasco at the border is as American as apple pie. Hypocrisy and lies, thuggery just like Israel, NK, and all the nations that they pretend to hate."

#2 Jun 17, 2018 7:59 am

Expat
Active

Re: Speaking of Americans

New Historian wrote:

Someone put this on Facebook, not me but....

"Why are Americans always saying ... that’s not who we are? People acting like separating children from the parents at the border is the epitome of the worst thing in the world. This is America - interning Japanese families; enslaving Africans and selling their children for centuries, experimenting on black people in the Tuskegee experiments, trail of tears and massacre of native people and then installing them on reservations .... are we serious? This separation of children at the border is damned sure American. This fiasco at the border is as American as apple pie. Hypocrisy and lies, thuggery just like Israel, NK, and all the nations that they pretend to hate."

Lots of truth in it, but we hope sensitivities are increasing...?

That said let those without sin throw the first stone. Britain created the first concept of the concentration camps in South Africa where many Boars died, had mounted soldiers hacking down its own people with sabres during riots in the UK somewhere round the turn of the previous century. Interned sundry people during the War, just as America did to the Japanese. Relocated prisoners to the Colonies to make them someone elses problem. Relocated orphaned children to Australia post WW2. etc etc.

#3 Jun 17, 2018 8:10 am

New Historian
Active

"Britain created the first concept of the concentration camps in South Africa where many Boars died"

Love the "deliberate" misspelling!

What I find hard to stomach is rank hypocrisy of the the flag-waving holier-than-thou American right, who in fact are ruled by one objective: self-interest.

#4 Jun 17, 2018 9:31 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The United States is a large country made up of many people.  I know what I aspire to be and it doesn't include slavery, internment camps, mistreatment of native Americans, abortion, or separating children from their parents. 

I was born here but I didn't choose to be born here.   I can't take credit for the good things that were done in American history and I shouldn't be blamed for the bad things either.

I want America to be a good nation.  I want the nastiness to be "not who we are".  It is aspirational.

#5 Jun 17, 2018 10:49 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Britain created the first concept of the concentration camps in South Africa where many Boars died"

Love the "deliberate" misspelling!

What I find hard to stomach is rank hypocrisy of the the flag-waving holier-than-thou American right, who in fact are ruled by one objective: self-interest.

Being the master of miss - spelink... smile

It took me a while to figure Boer was the focus of your attention.

#6 Jun 17, 2018 10:53 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The United States is a large country made up of many people.  I know what I aspire to be and it doesn't include slavery, internment camps, mistreatment of native Americans, abortion, or separating children from their parents. 

I was born here but I didn't choose to be born here.   I can't take credit for the good things that were done in American history and I shouldn't be blamed for the bad things either.

I want America to be a good nation.  I want the nastiness to be "not who we are".  It is aspirational.

Most negative comments about America and Americans are generalisation, and not pointed at you, don't fret love.

#7 Jun 17, 2018 11:36 am

New Historian
Active

At 6PM on the election night, I nearly put out a FB post saying that I was confident that Trump COULD NOT win - how wrong I was! Americans are, for the most part, "good" people, but there is this "base" of 35% of the population, that embody all the worst of the "bad old past" of America. Basket of deplorables is a perfect description. With the gradual liberalizing of America over the past decades, the basket has kept quiet, fooling us into believing they'd gone away. But they never went nowhere, Herr Trump dredged the swamp alright, and up came the night creatures with it.

#8 Jun 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Slice
Active

I honestly tink RD said it best.  At times Americans are better than Grenadians.  But the truth is the place is so big, with all these different folks, there must be different ideas.

Today ah man bring me three Pine Apples and ah hand ah White Grow-me-shell. Damn that kinda ah banana is sweeeeeet and nice. (I know the name of that kind of banana is spelt wrong, but say what.)

Anyway he started talking about his bosses who are Americans, and said how sweet they are,  especially the wife.  He could not believe that White Americans, can be so nice.  I said to him, one of my  best friends is ah white guy, and he just could not believe what I said.  I knew this could ah take all day, explaining to him, so ah simple said to him.  Not all White Americans are evil.  I had to also get this one in, I said the worst hatred I got in America, did not come from White Americans, but  from black folks, simple because I am from the Caribbean I gave him ah Stag, ah drink ah Mountain Dew and  left.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 17, 2018 12:57 pm)

#9 Jun 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I honestly tink RD said it best.  At times Americans are better than Grenadians.  But the truth is the place is so big, with all these different folks, there must be different ideas.

Today ah man bring me three Pine Apples and ah hand ah White Grow-me-shell. Damn that kinda ah banana is sweeeeeet and nice. (I know the name of that kind of banana is spelt wrong, but say what.)

Anyway he started talking about his bosses who are Americans, and said how sweet they are,  especially the wife.  He could not believe that White Americans, can be so nice.  I said to him, one of my  best friends is ah white guy, and he just could not believe what I said.  I knew this could ah take all day, explaining to him, so ah simple said to him.  Not all White Americans are evil.  I had to also get this one in, I said the worst hatred I got in America, did not come from White Americans, but  from black folks, simple because I am from the Caribbean I gave him ah Stag, ah drink ah Mountain Dew and  left.

Yu woz close. Gros Michel.

Board footer