You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 22, 2018 8:44 am

Dancer
Active

MARY - - Windrush at 70 years today :: went to church ?

TODAY 22 June 2018  marks the 70th anniversary of the landing at Tilbury Docks of the Empire Windrush M V on 22 june 1948 with 492 Jamaicans passengers.
..... Mary SeaCole / Deportees I saw your PM attending  the  Church Service today .  Did you go  to the service . I hope you did not have any rude words for Theresa May , and remember do not leave UK with that old passport.
Have a little brandy Mary.

#2 Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am

New Historian
Active

Re: MARY - - Windrush at 70 years today :: went to church ?

Having grown up in Britain I can say that one of the best things I ever did was to do a reverse Windrush, and rush back to the Caribbean! The subsequent generations of Black Britons haven't fared as well as their predecessors, due to a variety of sociological factors, including an uncaring school system and institutional racism. I see it in my UK nephews, who struggle to achieve their full potential.

Been there, done (with) that.

#3 Jun 22, 2018 9:50 am

New Historian
Active

At the last of my crappy UK schools, career’s day consisted of your disinterested house master talking down to you:

“Right, boy, what do you want to be when you grow up? Speak up boy! You want to be what? A lawyer? Don’t be stupid boy, you can’t be a lawyer! Let’s see, woodwork, an excellent trade. That’s it then: you’ll leave school at 15 and enter a woodworking apprenticeship scheme – okay? Good. Next!”

#4 Jun 22, 2018 10:39 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

“Right, boy, what do you want to be when you grow up? Speak up boy! You want to be what? A lawyer? Don’t be stupid boy, you can’t be a lawyer! Let’s see, woodwork, an excellent trade. That’s it then: you’ll leave school at 15 and enter a woodworking apprenticeship scheme – okay? Good. Next!”

You paint a dismal picture, sir.   "How are you going to have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!"

#5 Jun 22, 2018 11:41 am

New Historian
Active

Ahh, takes me back to my school days:

Camberwell_Ragged_School_Dinner.jpg

#6 Jun 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Slice
Active

Another reason why Expat go be mad and the Caribbean, should get away from them and hang on to America. When Trump is done, which would be shortly, things will get much better for America.

#7 Jun 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Expat
Active

There is no denying it, you are definitely an optimist.

#8 Jun 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

At the last of my crappy UK schools, career’s day consisted of your disinterested house master talking down to you:

But at the same time you never fought to have black teachers, did you?? Black teachers do make a severe impact. I loved my Jamaican teachers. They instilled racial pride and self-respect. I learned resilience and that the world is not fair. I learned that being a person of African descent would be difficult but I must learn to take my chances. YES1 BACK TEACHERS MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE!

#9 Jun 23, 2018 7:01 am

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

From all accounts you seem to have escaped most of the  *confusion*  JCB's seem to show after returning from Hingland. One must give thanks for  small mercies. lol.
Lucky escape.

Board footer