You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 26, 2018 11:26 pm

gripe
Active

DESPICABLE Refereeing: Nigeria Denied v. Argentina

The referee at that game could not be more blatantly unfair. He disallowed 2 obvious penalties that should have been awarded to Nigeria. Most people may focus on the last one -- the clear handball -- but, much earlier, the referee refused to award a penalty when the Nigerian player (I think it was Iheanacho), received a knee to his head right in the penalty area.

Here is the disallowed penalty:

The post-game comments about the Nigerian team's future prospects are merely appeasements.  There is always an attempt to placate someone when they are taken advantage of, although knowing that their opportunity for the prize was denied -- however remote, in this case, if Nigeria advanced.

Admittedly, the press is not the actual offender in this case, but, it is a pattern that is worth noting.

#2 Jun 26, 2018 11:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: DESPICABLE Refereeing: Nigeria Denied v. Argentina

People say there is a bias especially with VAR, to keep the big names in the tournament, and I kinda agree with that. I don't like VAR, it slows down the flow of the game, and it makes all the players actors, lying on the ground and making the VAR symbol. Refs may not be perfect but that's the game, not everything in life is. And VAR makes some weird, contradictory decisions!

Feel it for Nigeria. Phuck those fascist Argies!!

#3 Jun 27, 2018 6:49 am

Slice
Active

Me ent look at ah match yet.

#4 Jun 27, 2018 8:06 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I kinda have, but only under duress.

I know little about the rules... handball, and or off side etc.... but from the clip the ball hits the head and drops onto the arm, not the hand, and it wasn't a deliberate act... Unlike Maradona.

#5 Jun 27, 2018 8:24 am

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

I kinda have, but only under duress.

I know little about the rules... handball, and or off side etc.... but from the clip the ball hits the head and drops onto the arm, not the hand, and it wasn't a deliberate act... Unlike Maradona.

What? Wha kinda Expat are you? Spirit of '66 and all that? All now you should be succumbing to your countrymen's 4-year affliction: false hopes, dashed by cruel reality lol!! "We beat Panama 6-1, we're gonna win it all." Yeah Panama, like playing darts against the blind team!

#6 Jun 27, 2018 9:05 am

gripe
Active

Expat, the explanation that you gave is what some folks are using to justify that horrible decision. It makes no sense.

#7 Jun 27, 2018 10:05 am

Dancer
Active

""" Yes it does.

Gripe tries to live up to his name , but the misuse of the word 'obvious' speaking of the two penalties is misguided and he should listen to Expat explaining  what constitutes a hand ball.
... Last night , some Sport bar limers tried to get on my case ,  saying  I don't have a clue because soccer is not played on ice and crap like that.
Very sad !
I refused to buy them a beer.
Gripers.

#8 Jun 28, 2018 12:33 pm

gripe
Active

Dancer, the only "misuse" that's occurred is you telling me what is (or is not) a handball and going further to tell me to rely on Expat who made it clear that he knows "little about the rules". As a former national team player and one who played at the university/college level in the U.S., my familiarity with the rules should not be questioned. Even more basic than that is the fact that MANY of my colleagues here and elesewhere have also concluded that there was an  "obvious" handball in the Nigeria v. Argentina game.

The fact that you feel that you, Dancer, and Expat, are correct does not change my opinion.

What is very interesting to me, and is an issue raised by some who have commented on the handball controversy, is the idea that were the handball claim made against Nigeria there would have been NO hesitancy in awarding a penalty to Argentina. Have you, Dancer, considered that situation?

We can differ about our views on what I consider to be despicable refereeing, but you, Dancer, should not be misguided about whether I know anything about football.

#9 Jun 28, 2018 1:32 pm

gripe
Active

Here is another video with some comments about the controversial non-awarded penalty:

I found it quite baffling that the gentleman to the left, in the early comment about the controversy, said that slow motion made the situation look worse than it was. That is so frustrating: doesn't he realize that the slow-motion is a much more accurate depiction of what happened? By his own statement, any reasonable person should conclude that the handball should have led to a penalty based on that clearer view (slow motion) of what happened.

Apparently, that gentleman does not appreciate that a magnifying glass benefits people by allowing them to see small objects much better, so that they could better understand their environment. The slow-motion footage is the equivalent of a magnifying glass in that situation.

It did not escape me that the commentator -- 3rd from left/2nd from right -- mentioned that the earlier knee to the head of one of the Nigerian players, should also have been a penalty but it was totally ignored.

Nigeria was robbed!

#10 Jun 28, 2018 4:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Lawd man move on nuh? De ting call football, the Beautiful Game - warts and all lol.

They sure named you right lol!!

Board footer