You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 29, 2018 12:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Asmara – Djibuti – Nairobi

Thursday, 6 June 2002

Yesterday, there was one helluva sandstorm; the locals call it “taka". It's the same dust I saw the previous day in Khartoum, and is very unusual at this time of the year. It means that rain, a precious commodity up here, is coming, so people bear it in good spirits. Clogs up your nose, chokes the throat, covers everything in a fine red dust. By the end of the day I was gagging; had to imbibe liquids to keep moist.

Eritreans are a good looking people. Thin noses, curly locks and fine features. And pretty women. About half the population are Muslim, and the women saunter round town, swathed in several layers of muslin robes (Muslims in muslin?). Very slow, unhurried. People stroll slowly across the road; and the cars patiently wait for them to cross. The entire town dies for long, leisurely lunches, and probably a little siesta afterwards too. Must be the last country on earth without cellphones (“Eritrea: The Final Frontier”).

Leaving Asmara had a slight problem, and had to rush to the Immigration Office, to get some magic piece of paper, before heading to the airport. Made it ok though. My plane stopped in Djibouti (in Djibouti) on the way down to Nairobi. Ho hum, another slum. Just before we landed in Nairo, I realised that the man in the seat directly behind me, who had been chatting to his mate the whole flight about “secession”, was, in fact, none other than John Garang, leader of the Sudanese People's Liberation Army. A quick check on the net reveals:

"Human Rights Watch/Africa reported that the SPLA was guilty of, amongst other things, summary executions, indiscriminate attacks on civilians, the deliberate starvation of civilians, abducting civilians, mainly women and children, torture, forced recruitment and forced labour, theft of civilian animals, food and grain, and the holding of long-term political prisoners in prolonged arbitrary detention. The SPLA has also admitted THE SHOOTING DOWN OF CIVILIAN AIRLINERS within Sudan, incidents involving considerable loss of civilian life."

Good thing no one decided to put a SAM-7 missile up his arse on that particular flight.  He got off in Nairobi, met by an official car.

Post Script: Three years later, John Garang met the same fate he had inflicted on hundreds of others: shot down, in a helicpoter this time. Live by the missile, die by ...

https://www.pambazuka.org/food-health/k … who-did-it

#2 Jun 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Asmara – Djibuti – Nairobi

New Historian wrote:

Thursday, 6 June 2002

Yesterday, there was one helluva sandstorm; the locals call it “taka". It's the same dust I saw the previous day in Khartoum, and is very unusual at this time of the year. It means that rain, a precious commodity up here, is coming, so people bear it in good spirits. Clogs up your nose, chokes the throat, covers everything in a fine red dust. By the end of the day I was gagging; had to imbibe liquids to keep moist.

Eritreans are a good looking people. Thin noses, curly locks and fine features. And pretty women. About half the population are Muslim, and the women saunter round town, swathed in several layers of muslin robes (Muslims in muslin?). Very slow, unhurried. People stroll slowly across the road; and the cars patiently wait for them to cross. The entire town dies for long, leisurely lunches, and probably a little siesta afterwards too. Must be the last country on earth without cellphones (“Eritrea: The Final Frontier”).

Leaving Asmara had a slight problem, and had to rush to the Immigration Office, to get some magic piece of paper, before heading to the airport. Made it ok though. My plane stopped in Djibouti (in Djibouti) on the way down to Nairobi. Ho hum, another slum. Just before we landed in Nairo, I realised that the man in the seat directly behind me, who had been chatting to his mate the whole flight about “secession”, was, in fact, none other than John Garang, leader of the Sudanese People's Liberation Army. A quick check on the net reveals:

"Human Rights Watch/Africa reported that the SPLA was guilty of, amongst other things, summary executions, indiscriminate attacks on civilians, the deliberate starvation of civilians, abducting civilians, mainly women and children, torture, forced recruitment and forced labour, theft of civilian animals, food and grain, and the holding of long-term political prisoners in prolonged arbitrary detention. The SPLA has also admitted THE SHOOTING DOWN OF CIVILIAN AIRLINERS within Sudan, incidents involving considerable loss of civilian life."

Good thing no one decided to put a SAM-7 missile up his arse on that particular flight.  He got off in Nairobi, met by an official car.

Post Script: Three years later, John Garang met the same fate he had inflicted on hundreds of others: shot down, in a helicpoter this time. Live by the missile, die by ...

https://www.pambazuka.org/food-health/k … who-did-it

Garang's death is controversial. He should have taken the Presidential plane which is more equipped. Anyway, Sudan has had lots of civil wars that has torn a part lives and families and left many homeless. The 22-year war will never stop. The south, under the leadership of Garang, has had lots of help from neighboring countries and the Afro-Americans. They gave them guns and other weapons to fight their brothers. The war in Sudan is a religious war: Muslims against Christians and in the end no one will win.

Last edited by Calypso (Jun 29, 2018 2:16 pm)

#3 Jun 29, 2018 10:28 pm

New Historian
Active

If you ask me it was Museveni, Garang's supporter, funder and "brother-in-arms" to the south, that did him in. He was returning home from a state visit to Kampala and the last thing Museveni did at the door of the helicopter was kiss him goodbye. Judas kiss? By that time Garang had outlived his usefulness, and old Yoweri is as wily as a fox - and just as brutal.

#4 Jun 30, 2018 1:42 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

If you ask me it was Museveni, Garang's supporter, funder and "brother-in-arms" to the south, that did him in. He was returning home from a state visit to Kampala and the last thing Museveni did at the door of the helicopter was kiss him goodbye. Judas kiss? By that time Garang had outlived his usefulness, and old Yoweri is as wily as a fox - and just as brutal.

I've never heard of the President of Uganda, Museveni, involved in his death.  Tribes and religion, demonocracy and totalitarianism have always played a role in African politics. Colonization cannot be the main factor in Africa's struggle; it is deeper than that. Museveni has lasted a long time-- which is unusual in that region. He's the man behind the throne--so to speak. He just put his foot in his mouth when he attacked homosexuals. Europeans do that like anti-gay batching. Let's see how he is going to meet his waterloo?

Last edited by Calypso (Jun 30, 2018 7:54 am)

Board footer