You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 30, 2018 6:37 am

Dancer
Active

Kingston - Montego Bay - Jamaica . Beware JCB

Why going home might not be a good idea.
As of April this year 385 murders  , 2 States of Emergency ... continuing
In 2012 - 2015 . 18 British citizens  were murdered in Jamaica , making it the  3rd deadliest  destination for Brits after Pakistan and Tunisia.
Only last week a double  murder of a JCB and his wife.

The Guardian ::: Retirees returning to Jamaica face extreme  murder risk. Say police , soft targets.

Nairobi .. eh ?

Just saying. lol.

#2 Jun 30, 2018 7:59 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Kingston - Montego Bay - Jamaica . Beware JCB

f

Dancer wrote:

Why going home might not be a good idea.
As of April this year 385 murders  , 2 States of Emergency ... continuing
In 2012 - 2015 . 18 British citizens  were murdered in Jamaica , making it the  3rd deadliest  destination for Brits after Pakistan and Tunisia.
Only last week a double  murder of a JCB and his wife.

The Guardian ::: Retirees returning to Jamaica face extreme  murder risk. Say police , soft targets.

Nairobi .. eh ?

Just saying. lol.

I just told my dad  that I was thinking about returning home after retirement but he told me that it's not a good idea. Yet, I know of people who have gone back home and are doing quite well. I don't want a mansion; I only want a very modest home in Irish Town in the St Andrews hill. Most Jamaicans build these lavish homes and wear their money on their sleeves which is rather vulgar! When you get old you are just living and waiting for death. You are at the final stage.

#3 Jun 30, 2018 9:20 am

Dancer
Active

Your old man shows good sense.
You can reside in Gree  in the hills . The Mount , sorry , near Peschief and the Lady. ( Mary Seacole/Deportees ,,,,, eat your heart out.)
Just do not hang out with Expat , New Historian or 'goodness , gracious me , Slice.
But would be welcome in  taking  easy trips to the Jem.
Ok, ok , you can hang out with New Historian a little bit , with a chaperone , but be careful .

#4 Jun 30, 2018 11:48 am

New Historian
Active

Your father is wise, and so are you in not wanting to build a mansion and wear your UK pounds-pension on your sleeve. Don't kid yourself and don't look back through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia: Jamaica is a BRUTAL place. My daughter lives in MoBay and I fret every day. Yes you will blend in easier with a humble house in Irish Town (a bit remote...?), but there's one thing that'll make you stand out like a sore foot: your accent. Do you "sound farrin"? Once you got that accent, they mark you.

Just wanna see you safe Cal!

#5 Jun 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Expat
Active

I remember hearing a story, I could not swear to it being the truth about a returnee to Jamaica who was in touch with family and all that who decided to return, and was met by a family friend at the airport to bring him to his new home. After chatting with the guy for a while the driver pulled over and said. Let me take you back to the Airport, and you head back to England. When as obviously you would the old man said why?

The driver said your family sent me to pick you up and kill you, but I can't go through with it. So for your own safety head back to England.

Now this might be a BS story, or it was true, or the family sent the man to frighten the crap out of the guy so he would leave, and leave his nice new home for them without quarrel.

#6 Jun 30, 2018 2:31 pm

New Historian
Active

Probably true. In Jamaica they kill you for peanuts.

#7 Jun 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Probably true. In Jamaica they kill you for peanuts.

Is it really all that bad. I just read articles about the killings of expats. yet, I have relatives who moved  back and are alright.

#8 Jun 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Slice
Active

Lord ah staying right here in Paradise. Ah sleep with me windows open on the ground floor.  I think maybe about 5 murders for the year.  I stretch it ah bit.  Ah seeing five year children walking the streets late at night, and ah stop for any woman and give them ah drop, at night or in the day.

#9 Jun 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Expat
Active

Dancers post seems pretty unambiguous.

#10 Jun 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Lord ah staying right here in Paradise. Ah sleep with me windows open on the ground floor.  I think maybe about 5 murders for the year.  I stretch it ah bit.  Ah seeing five year children walking the streets late at night, and ah stop for any woman and give them ah drop, at night or in the day.

When one o dem call rape pon yu head you go stop.

Board footer