You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 01, 2018 11:10 pm

New Historian
Active

It's now "extreme risk"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ … are_btn_fb

One such gang was led by a police officer and convicted several years ago of 20 robberies, all involving returning residents, although it was suspected of having committed many more crimes over the course of a decade, said Cornwall “Bigga” Ford, a former senior superintendent who caught the group before he retired in 2015. “Once returning residents come back they need support. They need good support,” Ford said. “They work so hard, buy these nice houses all over the place and some of the places are remote. They need security, they need to put up alarms, cameras and have dogs.”

#2 Jul 02, 2018 5:56 am

Calypso
Active

Re: It's now "extreme risk"

New Historian wrote:

One such gang was led by a police officer and convicted several years ago of 20 robberies, all involving returning residents, although it was suspected of having committed many more crimes over the course of a decade, said Cornwall “Bigga” Ford, a former senior superintendent who caught the group before he retired in 2015. “Once returning residents come back they need support. They need good support,” Ford said. “They work so hard, buy these nice houses all over the place and some of the places are remote. They need security, they need to put up alarms, cameras and have dogs.”

NH, I did read that article and it scared the pants off me. But I am going to try to live there for 6 months to one year just to see how it works out.

#3 Jul 02, 2018 10:47 am

New Historian
Active

It is good to be aware - and a little afraid. Glad to hear you're going to dip your toe in the water first, especially when you said you've not been there since 1987, man that's a lifetime ago lol, Jamaic has changed out of all recognition. But in other ways, it's not changed a bit!

#4 Jul 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
New Historian wrote:

NH, I did read that article and it scared the pants off me. But I am going to try to live there for 6 months to one year just to see how it works out.

Do you count being murdered at 3 months a success?

#5 Jul 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Do you count being murdered at 3 months a success?

you men are horrible! Stop scaring me.

#6 Jul 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Expat
Active

Only trying to give you some perspective.

Times change.

Back in the 70's I was with a Trini lady for a few years. Went to T&T a few times, and liked the place.

Had we stayed together I might be there now instead of Grenada, who knows.

However, I would think very long and very hard before I set foot on Trinidad soil again.

Their issues are maybe slightly different. But fit the criteria for either place and you end up dead ahead of your allotted time. Visit on a holiday you are probably fine. Build place and move in you could be dog meat in days.

It's shameful, and sad, but it is what it is.

#7 Jul 02, 2018 11:22 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat exaggerates, as usual, but not much. In fact, he exaggerates just a little bit. A weeny bit. Neglible. Get me?

1987 was one year before I left Jamaica, for the third and last time. After burying one brother (from another...) plus too many friends, life in Jamaica had become "nasty, brutish and short". In the intervening 30 years life in Jamaica has become nastier, more brutish (if you can imagine that), and DEFINITELY shorter. Sad to say but an increasingly large section of the population, having been dragged up instead of brought up, bereft of father, education or values, are cold, heartless, and EXTREMELY VICIOUS.

If you're a local Jamaican you are far safer than if you are a member of a very noticeable new demographic: Jamaican JCBs. From eeever since, Jamaicans view anyone from "farrin" as rich, stupid, and fair bait. Even in the 70's, I knew this British Jamaican couple that returned home to live out their dream retirement. Which quickly turned into a nightmare, 18 months later they fled back to the safety and civilization (their word) of Mother England.

Be aware, be smart, be realistic, and yes: be afraid too. Keeps you sharp. And sometimes alive!

#8 Jul 03, 2018 7:04 am

Slice
Active

The piece kinda remind me, when ah stuck me car in ah drain, if I was in Jamaica or T&T, I would be dead. One of the reasons I returned home, was the low crime rate.  Why the hell would I want to return under these circumstances? Me PADNAH in Trinidad is returning to Brooklyn.  He said he never dream of the day, when he would feel safer in Brooklyn, than T&T.

Listen, a tenant rented my apartment upstairs, from the day they moved in, they never closed their windows.  I am wondering how the hell they can do that?  They said relax Slice, this is Grenada.

I am getting ready to go Trinidad, with Wifee, and ah doing and saying anything in me power to not go.

Expat all ah go say is that you better Thank the lord, that you met you Spice Wife.

#9 Jul 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

The piece kinda remind me, when ah stuck me car in ah drain, if I was in Jamaica or T&T, I would be dead. One of the reasons I returned home, was the low crime rate.  Why the hell would I want to return under these circumstances? Me PADNAH in Trinidad is returning to Brooklyn.  He said he never dream of the day, when he would feel safer in Brooklyn, than T&T.

Listen, a tenant rented my apartment upstairs, from the day they moved in, they never closed their windows.  I am wondering how the hell they can do that?  They said relax Slice, this is Grenada.

I am getting ready to go Trinidad, with Wifee, and ah doing and saying anything in me power to not go.

Expat all ah go say is that you better Thank the lord, that you met you Spice Wife.

Just take off your chains and your rolex and yu go be fine. It's mainly Indian that does get kidnap, I would guess White would be up in the "grab him" category, and Negro would be "rob he" if he look rich. So just dress down.

Even the last time I visited T&T I gave family there a fright, as I was staying by a friend who was deaf, and forgot I was there...So I was locked out. I caught a couple of route taxis in the middle of the night, and walked up the hill to where the rest of the family were. When I threw stones at the house... they had dogs .... and they woke up, there was a howl of O Gaaad when they realised I was outside in this rather rough part. I had actually been waylaid at the bottom of the hill and asked if I wanted a draw on some ganga, but I put on my best W.I. accent, and claimed to be cool man, I am sweet already, and happily strolled along my way.... with a bag full of electronic recording gear. That was maybe 40 years ago?

God knows how scared they might have been that something might happen now.

Often times I think I am protected by my own stupidity.....

Board footer