You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 06, 2018 7:13 pm

houston
Active

As the World Cup of soccer goes on

Several young soccer players along with their coach are trapped in a cave filling with water. A Navy Seal died today while trying to place oxygen tanks along a planned escape route.
Wierd that no professional soccer players wear an armband or something in a show of support for these kids that a battling for their lives.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/mis … -navy-says

#2 Jul 06, 2018 9:58 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: As the World Cup of soccer goes on

First of all it's not the World Cup of soccer; it's the World Cup. Secondly you can't expect such "touching but meaningless" tokens of "support" (ditto), to spring up spontaneously to a tragic situation that is twisting and turning by the hour. It's like "sending thoughts and prayers" after each new gun massacre: it may give the senders some feel-good feeling, but it does F and All to the people feeling the pain. Let's not get caught up in symbolism.

#3 Jul 06, 2018 10:13 pm

houston
Active

Yeah okay, it's only been 10 days.

#4 Jul 06, 2018 10:33 pm

New Historian
Active

And to my point: What good would it do? What tangible, material good? Besides fooling the wearers of these "symbols of hope" that they're actually doing something to help.

#5 Jul 06, 2018 10:50 pm

houston
Active

Wearing a banner of support would do nothing to help those kids. A sense of acknowledgement would certainly be appreciated for fellow soccer players.

#6 Jul 07, 2018 9:32 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Wearing a banner of support would do nothing to help those kids. A sense of acknowledgement would certainly be appreciated for fellow soccer players.

How many of the football players are wearing arm bands to support and commemorate the Hillsborough disaster where a crush killed around 90 people? THAT is at least related to actual football rather than kids training . NH is right unless the wearing of arm bands etc is going to fund and help in the process it is a meaningless sap to the conscience.

The caving incident is pretty awful, already there is one fatality directly related to the rescue, and it may well be followed by more as the rainy season develops. But the Government forces are in play, and there has been all kinds of aid sent by various countries.  This is now simply a spectator issue, where we the spectators get hourly updates, and wish them well.

I am completely sympathetic to the kids, and their families, but when events like this happen somehow people seem to forget that hundreds of thousands of children die every day, many from horrendous illnesses, or accidents equally as traumatic to their families.

A plane crashes or a boat sinks hundreds die..... shit happens.

#7 Jul 07, 2018 4:33 pm

houston
Active

Yes, I can see the points made by you and Historian.
The World Cup is a fantastic event. Probably the biggest and most widely watched sporting event on the planet. The 2018 World Cup has been one for the ages with the upsets and all.
Even for those that don't normally take in a lot of soccer it is always enjoyable to follow. I like the fact that the competition goes on for a month. Here in Toronto about 50% of the population was not born in Canada, so it's always interesting to see all of the different flags and decorated vehicles of the fans cheering for their home nation to reach the next group.
Each nation has their headquarters at a particular bar, tavern, pub, to gather at for each match and cheer for their squad. I don’t know didly about soccer but it is really exciting to check out the atmosphere in some of these places.
My square headed brother in law from Munich ran an establishment that was the German headquarters for about 30 years. He would always haul in lots of dough during World Cup time. Mind you, it was a good place to stay away from if your head wasn't shaped like a cube.
Onto my point. The World Cup is a world stage for the most popular game on the planet. Small gestures can go a long way, maybe all the way into a cave full of young soccer players wishing they were at home watching their heroes.
See below how a camera can zoom in on a small yet meaningful gesture.

https://www.bardown.com/joey-votto-hono … -1.1069352

#8 Jul 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Expat
Active

I guess he felt better... if the officer had family and children I expect they were totally overwhelmed by such a powerful message of support in their moment of grief.

I trust you took the full cynicism out of that reply.

Board footer