You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 14, 2018 10:33 am

Slice
Active

SWEET VIDEO. WATCH TILL THE END

#2 Jul 14, 2018 11:03 am

Dancer
Active

Re: SWEET VIDEO. WATCH TILL THE END

Well as you know ,  appreciation   from me is very rare   , but I must give that video a shout out . lo.

But why try to encourage the JA ?

.... a nice one.  lo.

#3 Jul 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Slice
Active

Knowing you, ah sure you ent get the funny side of the video, you were fix on Blacker Dan's hips.  Ah hope Kaiso look at it.  Blacker Dan, might do her justice and that worn out Italian.

#4 Jul 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Expat
Active

Nah, it's crap, just you are tuned into crap, so you accept it.

#5 Jul 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Slice
Active

Lighten up, it is carnival. I am ah lover of Soca music.

#6 Jul 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Dancer
Active

Here is where Expat ( the immigrant ) is told something about  West Indian calypso   and start to understand  'some of the culture'.
..... calypso is the result of the islanders expressing their , joy , sadness , dancing  in  a form of life stories and current  happenings  in the island  / world.

..... So what is 'crap' ?  ..... who says  ?
Not Expat.
BTW .... Now is party season in the  islands , mid year, summer ,  slow time , tourist draw .

Bajan crop-over
Slice Carnival
St Lucia Jazz festival
You can go French also...

Anyhow ..... that video spoke on quite a few (life events ) with a wuck-up beat . Calypso.

#7 Jul 15, 2018 7:28 am

Expat
Active

Na, you call it Calypso, Soca what ever you want.

It is desperation to give it a name.

That is NOTHING like Calypso or Soca, and I am not so primitive as to be talking about Yellow Bird.  I mean Calypso of the Greats, the Calypso that will still be played from time to time in decades to come. Not this banaal rubbish that will be forgotten by the end of the season.

#8 Jul 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Dancer
Active

Expat wrote:

Na, you call it Calypso, Soca what ever you want.

It is desperation to give it a name.

That is NOTHING like Calypso or Soca, and I am not so primitive as to be talking about Yellow Bird.  I mean Calypso of the Greats, the Calypso that will still be played from time to time in decades to come. Not this banaal rubbish that will be forgotten by the end of the season.

'Bashment' Expat ,     .....' Bashment '
'If I am not mistaken' lo.

#9 Jul 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Slice
Active

PADNAH! if not for the rubbish, kaiso would be dead and buried by now.  The greatest said the changes are most welcome.  Look my 23 year ole in Baltimore had on Grenada Flag on his head, something like NH and made sure he called me so I can see, how proudly he was wearing the flag.  You see this weekend was Baltimore fair.  Baltimore has one of the worst carnival in the world.

The children born in the US of West Indian parents are now embracing their culture, and it is because of the rubbish, you say. How can you not like Kes?

#10 Jul 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

PADNAH! if not for the rubbish, kaiso would be dead and buried by now.  The greatest said the changes are most welcome.  Look my 23 year ole in Baltimore had on Grenada Flag on his head, something like NH and made sure he called me so I can see, how proudly he was wearing the flag.  You see this weekend was Baltimore fair.  Baltimore has one of the worst carnival in the world.

The children born in the US of West Indian parents are now embracing their culture, and it is because of the rubbish, you say. How can you not like Kes?

So, instantly I clicked on it Wifee who was not looking said African... and yes it sounded like something from Mali.

It certainly did not sound like Soca or Calypso.

If you are going to create or extend a music beyond its recogniseable origins call it something else. Otherwise you could call rock and roll - Jazz.

I might not rush to change the channel on the car radio, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to hear it.

I am generally totally unimpressed with modern music, especially the trash most artist produce in this part of the World. But please do not think I aim criticism simply at West Indian music. Although I am rarely exposed to British, or American "pop music" or variants of such medium, I rarely find a tune melody call it what you will that deserves praise.

This includes many classical items.  My own Nephew is a Professor of Music, and has plaid many times with many of the Greatest Orchestras in the World all over the World. He has been commissioned to write many pieces of music, including Ballets which have been performed to great praise. But I have yet to hear a piece of his work that I could say I like.

Sampling, computer generated sounds, repetitive dumb assed lyrics repeated endlessly are all elements of modern dumb assed "West Indian" music at the moment, and the public is so uneducated in music structure they lap up this insult to their senses at ridiculously high volumes as if it had some consequence.

Only yesterday some truck turned up in the junction and spewed some god awful noise for about half an hour, mostly broken up with the DJ screaming nonsense and stopping you actually hear the tunes..... Not that I could bare to listen, the volume was so loud 100yds from the noise I was wearing ear defenders due to using a weed eater, and the noise almost drowned out the weed eater which is rated at 109 dls, and still boomed in my ears. You guys are totally nuts.

Board footer