You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 15, 2018 5:19 pm

houston
Active

Lancaster news

Yeah man, gotta keep those crafts aflight.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … rescue/amp

#2 Jul 15, 2018 5:55 pm

houston
Active

Re: Lancaster news

It may take some time, but rather than have that plane mounted on a pedestal collecting pigeon poop, the Hamilton museum will get it restored to original and back into the air where it belongs.

#3 Jul 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

It may take some time, but rather than have that plane mounted on a pedestal collecting pigeon poop, the Hamilton museum will get it restored to original and back into the air where it belongs.

Last Lancaster I saw went down at an airshow I was attending.

#4 Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

New Historian
Active

Nice to see history being preserved, my father built Lancasters during ze Var:

He may not have served in the armed forces, but our father certainly did his bit to bring the war to Hitler’s doorstep. After a couple of years at Cornercroft he worked at the Metrovicks factory in Trafford Park Manchester, on the assembly line for the famous Lancaster bombers, scourge of the Rhine Valley.

The Luftwaffe rained a barrage of destruction upon England industrial heartland, with Manchester a prime target. In one devastating night’s bombing raid destroyed 13 Lancasters while they were still on the runway, a raid in which dozens of my father's co-workers died. Every night there was a raid or at least an air raid warning. You got so conditioned that as soon as the siren went off you dropped whatever you were doing and ran to the nearest shelter like Pavlov’s dog.

#5 Jul 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Expat
Active

There's a lot happened we don't know about.

My Birthplace, Plymouth, being a naval port was bombed senseless.  At the time they put an armed cordon around the City to stop people getting out and spreading the news of the devastation as it would have damaged moral. My father an Artist among other things, painted the destruction of the City from the top of the building he was in.

The factory I worked in as a young man Park Royal Vehicles.... which made Buses for London, and all over the World built wings and stuff for the Halifax Bomber.

http://www.prv.org.uk/

Last edited by Expat (Jul 15, 2018 9:46 pm)

#6 Jul 15, 2018 9:50 pm

New Historian
Active

"My father an Artist among other things, painted the destruction of the City from the top of the building he was in."

Hope you still have them?

#7 Jul 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"My father an Artist among other things, painted the destruction of the City from the top of the building he was in."

Hope you still have them?

Kept by my Sister.

plymouth_burning.jpg

As you can see it was a roughed out image done on the spot without ever being taken beyond rough. But the flavour is still there.

#8 Jul 15, 2018 10:37 pm

New Historian
Active

Nice, good to pass on

#9 Jul 16, 2018 5:36 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Last Lancaster I saw went down at an airshow I was attending.

Horrible to witness. In 1989 I was the Toronto air show when two of the Tutor jets from the Snowbirds team nicked wings. One pilot was able to eject but the othe went directly into the water. For a second you think it's part of the show but when the jet goes into the water it's a sickening feeling.

#10 Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm

houston
Active

I wasn't at this show a few years later in 1995.
A British Nimrod went into the lake with all seven crew members. Very sad day.

Board footer