You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 19, 2018 3:45 pm

New Historian
Active

Happy daze in Pote-a-Spain

Growing up in Port-of-Spain was pretty close to idyllic. We lived on Gordon Street in Saint Augustine, next to the University of the West Indies campus, and on weekends and holidays the three of us boys would roam far and wide, getting in trouble with the neighbourhood kids. Brian Ferreira lived next door and his little sister Gracie was my girlfriend, we even swapped chewing gum to make it official. Every day, an old man called Ripe Fig would ride past on his rickety old bicycle, a gaggle of giggling children running after him shouting: “Ripe Fig! Ripe Fig!”

Carbide, a raw material in the manufacture of explosives, exists in abundance in Trinidad, and most boys will, at one time or other, learn how to make a rudimentary mini-bomb. First, you find an old tin of Lyle’s Golden Syrup and wash it out. Then you place a piece of soft carbide inside the tin, spit on it, put the lid on tight, and make a small cut in the top of the tin. Strike a match, put it inside the tin, run, and then: BOOM!

One day a bunch of us were digging in the back yard, chasing a crapaud (toad) deeper into his hole. At that very moment the steel drain pipe, which for decades had remained bolted to our two-story house, decided that then would be a good time to break away. All I heard was:

“Watch out!!”

I looked up, vaguely remember a nanosecond of pure terror, then blackness. The drainpipe fell in a wide arc, picking up momentum until it came to a sudden stop when it slammed into my upturned face, an inch from my left eye. In the ensuing commotion our maid came running out of the house to see me lying on the ground unconscious, blood pouring down my face. She rushed inside and calls Dad.

“Oh Gawd! Oh Gawd! he dead! Come quick! Blood! Oh gawwd!!!” Dad could get no sense out of the jabbering woman so he jumped into his car and raced home, heart pounding all the way. And what did he see as he turned into our street? A hearse!

Still have that scar, one of many.

#2 Jul 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Happy daze in Pote-a-Spain

Getting confuckled with your tales now.  One minute you growing up in London, then JA, then Trinidad.  I cyan keep up.

So you were pretty close to Mt Lambert then. Where me Trini Gyal grew up. Back before the last train to San Fernando. Close to the cigarette factory where I danced the night away.

#3 Jul 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Dancer
Active

Lol. I was waiting to see where the tall taler was going with this one.
Brilliant ... a hearse .

... but he ends with a scar.
lmao.... you know , I might just believe this one.

#4 Jul 19, 2018 8:49 pm

New Historian
Active

Me and my brothers loved  Trinidad, probably because that was the last semblance of normal family life, until our mother f*cked off - but that's another story - altogether!

#5 Jul 20, 2018 7:38 am

Expat
Active

And probably left in your journal...

#6 Jul 20, 2018 8:12 am

Slice
Active

Lord Expat, them mangoes was good. Sweet and firm.  Ah like reading NH posting, would you leave him alone.  Will call you about tomorrow.  I think WH Man is stuck in the Big parish.  If ah find time today, ah might go and get him, but I ent sure.

#7 Jul 20, 2018 8:23 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Growing up in Port-of-Spain was pretty close to idyllic. We lived on Gordon Street in Saint Augustine, next to the University of the West Indies campus, and on weekends and holidays the three of us boys would roam far and wide, getting in trouble with the neighbourhood kids. Brian Ferreira lived next door and his little sister Gracie was my girlfriend, we even swapped chewing gum to make it official. Every day, an old man called Ripe Fig would ride past on his rickety old bicycle, a gaggle of giggling children running after him shouting: “Ripe Fig! Ripe Fig!”

Carbide, a raw material in the manufacture of explosives, exists in abundance in Trinidad, and most boys will, at one time or other, learn how to make a rudimentary mini-bomb. First, you find an old tin of Lyle’s Golden Syrup and wash it out. Then you place a piece of soft carbide inside the tin, spit on it, put the lid on tight, and make a small cut in the top of the tin. Strike a match, put it inside the tin, run, and then: BOOM!

One day a bunch of us were digging in the back yard, chasing a crapaud (toad) deeper into his hole. At that very moment the steel drain pipe, which for decades had remained bolted to our two-story house, decided that then would be a good time to break away. All I heard was:

“Watch out!!”

I looked up, vaguely remember a nanosecond of pure terror, then blackness. The drainpipe fell in a wide arc, picking up momentum until it came to a sudden stop when it slammed into my upturned face, an inch from my left eye. In the ensuing commotion our maid came running out of the house to see me lying on the ground unconscious, blood pouring down my face. She rushed inside and calls Dad.

“Oh Gawd! Oh Gawd! he dead! Come quick! Blood! Oh gawwd!!!” Dad could get no sense out of the jabbering woman so he jumped into his car and raced home, heart pounding all the way. And what did he see as he turned into our street? A hearse!

Still have that scar, one of many.

NH, how would you like to return back dey?  Spice folks are fraid of Trinidad, as cat fraid Holy Water.  Ah going dey soon doh.

#8 Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am

New Historian
Active

"NH, how would you like to return back dey?  Spice folks are fraid of Trinidad, as cat fraid Holy Water.  Ah going dey soon doh."

I still love Trini and love going back there, it has a vibe and a buzz that's exciting, and Trinis LOVE to lime! That said, you have to be careful on the street, especially with a foreign accent. One night I got lost by Beetham and I was nearly doodooing me pants trying to drive outta dey. On August 26 is Pan on the Avenue, Ariapita Ave aka The Stretch, dat is real fun. Not sure if I'd live there again though, commuting is better - and safer!!

I like Jamaica the same way, I guess I have a thing for edgy places.

#9 Jul 20, 2018 8:57 am

New Historian
Active

"And probably left in your journal..."

You probably meant "best" left. Oh yes, tight.

#10 Jul 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

"And probably left in your journal..."

You probably meant "best" left. Oh yes, tight.

No, no, no ,  it happens New Historian   , just be respectful   and get it off your chest. 'The old lady , 'was not a mummy. lol.
My 'old lady' liked me , you know,  favorite  , but she pissed me off one time , dumping on my sister . " I had to tell her straighten up and fly right , she was shocked , but she knew where I stood.
..... anyhow as you know 'gossip' is news  , we like gossip  on TS . We ( men ) have to learn to   say how we feel and move on .
..... as  I was writing this , while listening to the BBC .... Marley's """ Don't worry bout a thing' introduced  a new segment.     ....... ( Marley on BBC . Lord ! )
I like your old man already.

Board footer