You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jan 22, 2017 8:52 am

New Historian
Active

He may have been a real S.O.B, but THANK you Captain Bligh...

For the humble breadfruit tree! Breadfruit really is the magic food tree of the Caribbean: every yard's got one. It bears profusely and the season is long, providing free carbs to millions every year, an essential ingredient of any decent oil down! The ways of cooking it are endless, and we are really missing a trick by not growing and exporting it more. In the Botanical Gardens in Saint Vincent one of the original trees brought over by Captain Bligh in 1793 is standing tall and proud, still.

Now Bligh, THERE was one hard bastard! Had the distinction of having not one but two crews mutiny under his command, and in those days mutiny was punishable by death so that tells you something. After the first mutiny, subject of two films, he did an amazing piece of seamanship, sailing an overloaded launch 3,600 miles to Timor.

So, do we "thank" Captain Bligh and the rest of the Colonialists, for the breadfruit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_B … uit_voyage

#2 Jan 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: He may have been a real S.O.B, but THANK you Captain Bligh...

This is an amazingly fascinating read and it is free.  I couldn't stop until I was done.

https://books.google.com/books?id=aUIPA … &q&f=false

By the way, it was written in the 19th century.  I am not advocating the worldview of the book.  Just the story and an understanding of the mindset of the era.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jan 22, 2017 2:15 pm)

#3 Jan 23, 2017 7:16 am

kevkenrick

Ahaha, allu aint easy.

#4 Jan 23, 2017 9:12 am

Slice
Active

This is nice.  Now ah wonder if the Webmaster can have it permanently  displayed someway on the page.  Ah love it bad.

#5 Jan 23, 2017 11:39 am

Slice
Active

I guess we all should be thankful.  I hate that damn thing call Breadfruit.  I swear I would never ever eat that thing again.  Why is it called Breadfruit.  It is not ah fruit?  I eat dat thing so much growing up, I swear when I became ah man I would never eat it.  That thing use to gee me belly ache every time ah eat it.

Ah eat breadfruit in soup.  I eat breadfruit in rice.  When it was young and the start of the season, me grand muma use to cook it with rice. I eat that damn thing steam, ah eat that ting as Oil Down. Ah eat it fry.  Ah eat roasted.  I eat it  PONG.  You see me, I ent never eating it again.  For me ah doh care  if all them trees  burn down.   Then again me wife go kill me.  She love her Oil Down.

#6 Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

Slice
Active

I guess we all should be thankful.  I hate that damn thing call Breadfruit.  I swear I would never ever eat that thing again.  Why is it called Breadfruit.  It is not ah fruit?  I eat dat thing so much growing up, I swear when I became ah man I would never eat it.  That thing use to gee me belly ache every time ah eat it.

Ah eat breadfruit in soup.  I eat breadfruit in rice.  When it was young and the start of the season, me grand muma use to cook it with rice. I eat that damn thing steam, ah eat that ting as Oil Down. Ah eat it fry.  Ah eat roasted.  I eat it  PONG.  You see me, I ent never eating it again.  For all ah care they could burn down all Breadfruit tree.  Then again me wife go kill me.  She love her Oil Down.

My post kinda went the wrong way.

#7 Jan 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have had breadfruit as part of other dishes and in heavy sauce but I don't know what it tastes like standalone and not covered in something.

#8 Jan 23, 2017 4:31 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

Ah eat breadfruit in soup.  I eat breadfruit in rice.  When it was young and the start of the season, me grand muma use to cook it with rice. I eat that damn thing steam, ah eat that ting as Oil Down. Ah eat it fry.  Ah eat roasted.  I eat it  PONG.  You see me, I ent never eating it again.  For me ah doh care  if all them trees  burn down.   Then again me wife go kill me.  She love her Oil Down.

LOL you suffering from breadfruit overload!! Never heard it in rice though, and if I never eat another oil dung, that's just fiiine by me! You never had it roasted THEN fried? Yum! But never mind your beef with it, breadfruit is a great source of free carbs!

Board footer