You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Aug 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Stand Your Ground!

Here is an update on this...

CBS News wrote:

The man accused of fatally shooting a father at a parking lot in Clearwater, Florida, was arrested on manslaughter charges Monday, authorities said. The shooting reignited the debate over Florida's "stand your ground law" after the local sheriff's office declined to bring charges in the case last month.

Michael Drejka, 47, was arrested and booked into the Pinellas County Jail, the State Attorney's office said. His bond has been set at $100,000. Officials said the decision to press charges were consistent under Florida law.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-st … 018-08-13/

#22 Aug 14, 2018 10:37 am

Expat
Active

Good news.

It is hard to be objective sometimes.  I don't think I would have fired at any point, unless the guy was pounding on me and I was old and decrepit like I am now. Most likely option run like hell.

I also do not have the perception he had after a very rough push to the ground with a big tall man towering over me.... maybe there is some disorientation excuse?

However from straight observation the guy gets pushed to the ground settles himself, the victim starts to lean over the guy, he pulls out his gun.... Up to that point given it is a gun society OK. The victim startled by the production of the gun moves back. At that point unless he regrouped and charged like an angry bull there is no way that gun should have been fired. The guy... who has a history, needs some jail time.

#23 Aug 14, 2018 11:39 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I wouldn't shoot anyone unless I was convinced the only alternative is my death.  I rather take an ass beating than deal with the the life-altering repercussions of shooting someone.

#24 Aug 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Expat
Active

I hear the he's "unarmed" comments from time to time, but it only takes one blow to kill you.  I ain't waiting to find out if the sucker punch is going to be fatal or just a head ache, sorry.

Having seen many a yob fight there is no Marquise of Queensbury rules, fists anywhere that can hurt, boots to the head when you are down. just a simple fist fight can break eye sockets and damage vision for life, leave you with a disrupted septum, break jaws requiring months of painful recovery.

No, get way, or avoid at all costs, but stand and take a beating. Nah. The gun he carried did it's job, it made the assailant back off.... take stock .... before it went to the next level... but having created equilibrium the shooter should have backed away.

Last edited by Expat (Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm)

Board footer