You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 26, 2018 8:01 am

Calypso
Active

Denzil Forrester, a Grenadian Artist who Lives in Cornwall, England

I would like to go to England and visit Cornwall. It's about 7 hours from London. It's by the coast. It is where one of my favorite writers, Daphne de Maurier, lived.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig … -interview

Last edited by Calypso (Jul 26, 2018 8:10 am)

#2 Jul 26, 2018 8:02 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Denzil Forrester, a Grenadian Artist who Lives in Cornwall, England

#3 Jul 26, 2018 10:54 am

Slice
Active

He sounds like ah nut case, but leh we go and visit him nah?  I will pay for hotel room and you pay the air fare.  Doh worry me ent go tell NH, wha happen between you and I.

#4 Jul 26, 2018 11:28 am

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

He sounds like ah nut case, but leh we go and visit him nah?  I will pay for hotel room and you pay the air fare.  Doh worry me ent go tell NH, wha happen between you and I.

Grow up, you whore! Let's stay on the topic.

#5 Jul 26, 2018 2:08 pm

gripe
Active

Slice, were you trying to be funny when you characterized Mr. Forrester as "ah nut case"?

That video is a beautiful short piece about one of our own who is definitely a gifted artist. Mr. Forrester's "Winston Rose" death depiction is very powerful! His "Three Wicked Men" portrait and his explanations of the embedded figures are compelling. Mr. Forrester paints and, in his own words, gives meaning to his creations.

Art and beauty are clearly in the eyes of the beholder. So, Slice, I can't agree with your comment.

Thanks, Calypso, for your post!

Last edited by gripe (Jul 26, 2018 2:10 pm)

#6 Jul 26, 2018 2:29 pm

New Historian
Active

Nice one Cal. Good to see Grenadian artists making it, at home and abroad. The biggest selling artist locally is Susan mains but I find her work very cliched: boats on beaches, little girls in pigtails etc. To me Jamaica and Haiti are the art capitals of the Caribbean, also Cuba too. Jamaica's Edna Manley School for the Performing Arts turns out excellent artists of all stripes.

Last edited by New Historian (Jul 26, 2018 2:31 pm)

#7 Jul 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Slice
Active

gripe wrote:

Slice, were you trying to be funny when you characterized Mr. Forrester as "ah nut case"?

That video is a beautiful short piece about one of our own who is definitely a gifted artist. Mr. Forrester's "Winston Rose" death depiction is very powerful! His "Three Wicked Men" portrait and his explanations of the embedded figures are compelling. Mr. Forrester paints and, in his own words, gives meaning to his creations.

Art and beauty are clearly in the eyes of the beholder. So, Slice, I can't agree with your comment.

Look to each his own.  I have never met ah artist that is normal, they are all nuts.  I recently framed ah piece of work, by a Spiceman, it is abstract and called Tanteen.  How the hell he call it Tanteen, ah just doh know.  Maybe ah doh understand art, but I ent trying to do so.

In my house in Maryland ah have maybe five painting by Caribbean artist.  Sometimes ah just doh get it, but sometimes ah love it.  gripe if you tink for one single minute, because he is Spice ah go keep me mouth shut, you making ah mistake. I understand the Trini David Moore, so ah love him.

#8 Jul 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

Slice has no class or culture. I think the government of Grenada show invest in some of his works. You need to have the best of his art in a gallery back in Gree.

#9 Jul 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Nice one Cal. Good to see Grenadian artists making it, at home and abroad. The biggest selling artist locally is Susan mains but I find her work very cliched: boats on beaches, little girls in pigtails etc. To me Jamaica and Haiti are the art capitals of the Caribbean, also Cuba too. Jamaica's Edna Manley School for the Performing Arts turns out excellent artists of all stripes.

The island of Jamaica has always found and promoted talents before foreigners discovered them. We have some wonderful museums on the island. Edna Manley, Michael's mother, started it all for us. Even though she was not the best sculptor, she started a revolution that has lasted until this day.

#10 Jul 26, 2018 4:59 pm

New Historian
Active

" Even though she was not the best sculptor"

I beg to differ on that one. Her Paul Bogle is a master work, among many others. I like my two little Cuban smokers.

20180316_130132.jpg

Board footer