You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jul 26, 2018 5:04 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Denzil Forrester, a Grenadian Artist who Lives in Cornwall, England

New Historian wrote:

" Even though she was not the best sculptor"

I beg to differ on that one. Her Paul Bogle is a master work, among many others. I like my two little Cuban smokers.

https://s33.postimg.cc/dh6bg2baz/20180316_130132.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1600& … PjcsHPnEJM:

In my opinion, Mrs. Manley best sculptor is Negro Aroused. The one of Paul Bogle is not well- defined or proportioned.

#12 Jul 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

" Even though she was not the best sculptor"

I beg to differ on that one. Her Paul Bogle is a master work, among many others. I like my two little Cuban smokers.

https://s33.postimg.cc/dh6bg2baz/20180316_130132.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1600& … PjcsHPnEJM:

In my opinion, Mrs. Manley best sculptor is Negro Aroused. The one of Paul Bogle is not well- defined or proportioned.

#13 Jul 26, 2018 5:12 pm

New Historian
Active

I agree, just that Bogle resonates particularly with me for other reasons.

#14 Jul 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:
gripe wrote:

Slice, were you trying to be funny when you characterized Mr. Forrester as "ah nut case"?

That video is a beautiful short piece about one of our own who is definitely a gifted artist. Mr. Forrester's "Winston Rose" death depiction is very powerful! His "Three Wicked Men" portrait and his explanations of the embedded figures are compelling. Mr. Forrester paints and, in his own words, gives meaning to his creations.

Art and beauty are clearly in the eyes of the beholder. So, Slice, I can't agree with your comment.

Thanks, Calypso, for your post!

Look to each his own.  I have never met ah artist that is normal, they are all nuts.  I recently framed ah piece of work, by a Spiceman, it is abstract and called Tanteen.  How the hell he call it Tanteen, ah just doh know.  Maybe ah doh understand art, but I ent trying to do so.

In my house in Maryland ah have maybe five painting by Caribbean artist.  Sometimes ah just doh get it, but sometimes ah love it.  gripe if you tink for one single minute, because he is Spice ah go keep me mouth shut, you making ah mistake. I understand the Trini David Moore, so ah love him.

Making art is always affiliated with a movement, and the experiences and history that inspires one. I love for style and how the artist chooses to depict the scenery. I go with the feeling I get in my gut. It's like love at first sight. I believe in love at first sight. it tears up your gut!

#15 Jul 26, 2018 8:02 pm

New Historian
Active

"I believe in love at first sight."

Does that apply to humans as well as works of art? No I'm not being smutty, but you ever met someone, male or female, and had an instant visceral gut reaction, good or bad, that was ultimately proved correct? I have, many times. Sometimes my gut screams at me, almost on sight of someone, and I never ignore my friend gut.

#16 Jul 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Expat
Active

I have only glimpsed the portraits just posted, but unfortunately regardless of what the intent of the paintings were, they are adequate as a caricature, but unless the intent was to be a cartoon they show no great skill or training.

This is not a critique of THAT particular "artist", but a commentary on vast swathes of modern day artists who have often been through the mill of "Art School" and been trained by some or other product of a previous generation who had already lost the skills or knowledge of those I would call real artists instead of dabbers.

I speak from having been exposed to art which had a more classical base, and not the "primitive" style... not a critique but a description... which abounds in the craft shops in Grenada which is testament to the lack of skill and training the artists have had.

I think Slice saw a rough start version of a portrait of my Mother from around 1948. It is just the rough, but it has more finesse than those so called finished paintings. When painting skin, you do not simply dab on brown for a dark person, or various shades of pink for a white. There are undertones which are applied first which actually bleed through the top colour, just as happens in real life.

Ever since Picasso decided to do his impressions, and others ( I am not an art historian ) the various generations have slid down the slope to childish and unskilled decade after decade.

The unmade bed of that daft artist Emin being a prime example of how warped modern art appreciation is.

The Michael Angelo's, Rubens and Titian's of the past must be either spinning in their catacombs or rolling up in hysterical mirth at what is an apology for art. I do not imply that modern paintings should be about angels and great classical people of history, but that the skill and replication of the sitter should be represented in a clear and accurate way. A portrait by an artist should be akin to a photograph, but with soul. The artists embeds the painting with presence that the photo cannot.

#17 Jul 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Calypso
Active

The Michael Angelo's, Rubens and Titian's of the past must be either spinning in their catacombs or rolling up in hysterical mirth at what is an apology for art. I do not imply that modern paintings should be about angels and great classical people of history, but that the skill and replication of the sitter should be represented in a clear and accurate way. A portrait by an artist should be akin to a photograph, but with soul. The artists embeds the painting with presence that the photo cannot.

How blasted ignorant you have about the knowledge of art and artists' depictions of experiences. Art history was my minor is college. Goya, Canaletto, Rubens, Schiele,  johns, Picasso, etc.  , furthermore movements like fauvism, cubism, Dadaism, impressionism,  pop, minimalism, , etc, etc, were born from ideology. A bloody painting does not have to be linear for it to be considered a work of art. An artist can take anything tangible object or thing and diminish into any images he like on canvas.

Last edited by Calypso (Jul 26, 2018 8:45 pm)

#18 Jul 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

How blasted ignorant you have about the knowledge of art and artists' depictions of experiences. Art history was my minor is college. Goya, Canaletto, Rubens, Schiele,  johns, Picasso, etc.  , furthermore movements like fauvism, cubism, Dadaism, impressionism,  pop, minimalism, , etc, etc, were born from ideology. A bloody painting does not have to be linear for it to be considered a work of art. An artist can take anything tangible object or thing and diminish into any images he like on canvas.

I rest my case. As a product of the unaccomplished you have swallowed their pretentious lack of ability  lock stock and untrained tube of acrylic.

Crap for crap sake is not art it is unaccomplished crap.

The painting below... as are all those in my possession is unfinished, has a reality, a bite, character, or any other positive label you might put on it. It has more structure, depth and emotion that NH's smokers. You don't have to like it, or the subject content, but as a student of art I trust you can recognise art when you see it.

Great_Granny_cole.jpg

Last edited by Expat (Jul 26, 2018 9:37 pm)

#19 Jul 26, 2018 9:36 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

I rest my case. As a product of the unaccomplished you have swallowed their pretentious lack of ability  lock stock and untrained tube of acrylic.

I kinda switched off when the convo went off on that art-intelligentsia crap, but have to jump in and say you're absolutely right: "Art history was my minor" doesn't make your view of "great art" any better than the dustman down the street. One man's crap is another's masterpiece, and I don't care how much money those lucky artists for their "pieces", in my humble Philistine's opinion, a cum-stained bed and half a dead cow are NOT "great art". Great idea, great con, but hardly great art.

#20 Jul 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

I kinda switched off when the convo went off on that art-intelligentsia crap, but have to jump in and say you're absolutely right: "Art history was my minor" doesn't make your view of "great art" any better than the dustman down the street. One man's crap is another's masterpiece, and I don't care how much money those lucky artists for their "pieces", in my humble Philistine's opinion, a cum-stained bed and half a dead cow are NOT "great art". Great idea, great con, but hardly great art.

With you...

None the less, I think if the person has created an image or effigy that catches the imagination, I can accept it has merit even if I do not appreciate it., as you say I don't have to like your choices, or you mine. It is very personal.  But a blank canvas, or 4 blobs on the canvas is just extracting the urine. Yet current art experts will wax lyrical as if it really has meaning. Maybe it is just job protection.

Board footer