You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 27, 2018 12:42 pm

GMW
Active

Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

Hey brother Slice without shooting the messenger does that make an iota of sense to you?

Offline

#2 Jul 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

GMW wrote:

Hey brother Slice without shooting the messenger does that make an iota of sense to you?

Slavery did stagnate the black race a lot but it's not the only thing that has kept us back. Morally, we are low. We could be poor but have stronger family structure and train our off- springs to do better. We could live among ourselves and take better care of our neighborhoods and schools. We are large in number but we are not of the best quality.

Offline

#3 Jul 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

Lord, PADNAH, when did I disagree with those facts? Lord I know racism is alive and well, but I ent looking for it under every stone.  Ok Copland is not the best Liberal person, but he gave some statics about black American, that made me head turn.  So he said that most Black Americans are stagnant but, Blacks from other countries that migrated to the US is doing well and surpassing Black Americans.

That is always been my argument and I will continue to say so, these Bastards are lazy and full ah sheet.

Offline

#4 Jul 27, 2018 2:26 pm

GMW
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

>>That is always been my argument and I will continue to say so, these Bastards are lazy and full ah sheet.<<

To deny that in huge part this country was built with Slave labor is like denying the holocaust. So by your contention that those bastards are lazy as shit what caused that and when did it happen? During slavery? Did they not "migrate" to the US like other blacks and have the same origin like us?

Maybe it's much, much, much more complex than simply being lazy bastards in your eyes?

Offline

#5 Jul 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

GMW wrote:

>>That is always been my argument and I will continue to say so, these Bastards are lazy and full ah sheet.<<

To deny that in huge part this country was built with Slave labor is like denying the holocaust. So by your contention that those bastards are lazy as shit what caused that and when did it happen? During slavery? Did they not "migrate" to the US like other blacks and have the same origin like us?

Maybe it's much, much, much more complex than simply being lazy bastards in your eyes?

GMW, Slice is a Pig! Afro-Americans are not lazy. Many are a broken people. The lack of opportunities, segregation and discrimination caused them to become stagnant. They live in a cycle of poverty that many cannot get out of. It is a very complex issue. May I add this, that in order for white America to be so strong, they had to take away the opportunities from minorities and give it themselves.

Last edited by Calypso (Jul 27, 2018 3:44 pm)

Offline

#6 Jul 27, 2018 4:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

When I first got to know black Americans at uni I too thought they were a bit sad: with a huge racial chip on their shoulder and seeing a million negatives for every positive. Yes black immigrants came to the States and surpassed the local black population, happy to take advantages of the jobs and money on offer. But of course there are historical factors that cause this: when your society was made up 100% of slaves just a short 100 years ago, with no family life or values, what do you expect? If you look at other societies that weren't enslaved, Indians or Chinese, they have a much (correction: MUCH) stronger family life than modern blacks, and consequently much (correction: MUCH) lower levels of dysfunctionality. Cal is right: "they" (correction: WE) are a broken people, the remnants of slavery are still being felt in the black communities, you don't shed 400 years of slavery in a couple of generations.

Offline

#7 Jul 27, 2018 5:39 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

I ent buying none of these arguments, and ah mean none of it.  GOSH it has been more than ah hundred years and still thinking about what happen to you during slavery?  GEEE me ah frigging break.  Here is the other really interesting issue, we are Caribbean blacks  know more and care about slavery than them.  Have any of you try to hold ah conversation about Slavery with the average Black American?  In some cases they doh even know who their congressman or senator is.

Ah swear most morning ah wanna have ah conversation with my staff, mostly about politics, they would not engage.  You know why? they have no idea what the hell is going on.  I have to wait until this White guy  come to work to engage in politics. 


I once manage ah staff of about ah hundred, 98% of them are blacks.  I tried my best to train one of them to take my position, at every corner he rejected and had no interest, instead they hired ah Whiteman from PA.

As Caribbean folks we had more trouble from African Americans than any other race.

I am not denying truth and facts, but reality is, Afro-Americans need to get off their lazy asses and take control of their future, and also their family future.  Look man they are not all the same, but most looking for ah hand out and always looking for someone to blame, but the honest truth is they need to take ah look at themselves.

Offline

#8 Jul 28, 2018 7:59 am

Expat
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

I am going to split the line, or sit on the fence, because to me, both sides of the argument have merit.

We talk about the culture in Grenada, or England, and we know the generalities of the people who live there, the way they tend to think, and the way they tend to act.

My perspective is that through oppression a sub culture existing of Blacks in America has been created which has low self esteem, a victim mentality, and a hand out mentality.

This is a vast generalisation as we know for sure that there are many many Blacks who have made something of themselves, and not just by being boxers or basket ball players.

However the enclaves which abound in the inner cities continue to maintain the "culture" which evolved. Unfortunately all problems in societies especially depressed, or suppressed ones whether mixed race as in England, or single race is American enclaves is damaged even further by the damage done to them by the drug culture which is eroding society everywhere.

Offline

#9 Jul 28, 2018 9:07 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

Expat wrote:

I am going to split the line, or sit on the fence, because to me, both sides of the argument have merit.

We talk about the culture in Grenada, or England, and we know the generalities of the people who live there, the way they tend to think, and the way they tend to act.

My perspective is that through oppression a sub culture existing of Blacks in America has been created which has low self esteem, a victim mentality, and a hand out mentality.

This is a vast generalisation as we know for sure that there are many many Blacks who have made something of themselves, and not just by being boxers or basket ball players.

However the enclaves which abound in the inner cities continue to maintain the "culture" which evolved. Unfortunately all problems in societies especially depressed, or suppressed ones whether mixed race as in England, or single race is American enclaves is damaged even further by the damage done to them by the drug culture which is eroding society everywhere.

Point is well-taken. Some of us do have a victim mentality. I've always been a hard worker all my life. I don't like asking people for things and being taken care of as if I were a child. I seem many of them, still living in Public Housing generations after generations. Many are so academically low-performing and have tremendous behavioral issues. Poverty has nothing to do the money in your pocket. It is a state of mind, at least, that's what my grandmother always tells me. But I see young Caribbean-born students with that same mentality.  I don't think of them as having low-self esteem. THEY HAVE A STRONG SESNE OF ENTITLEMENT. Yes, you owe them something.

Offline

#10 Jul 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Why black Americans face more obstacles than white Europeans immigrant

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

I am going to split the line, or sit on the fence, because to me, both sides of the argument have merit.

We talk about the culture in Grenada, or England, and we know the generalities of the people who live there, the way they tend to think, and the way they tend to act.

My perspective is that through oppression a sub culture existing of Blacks in America has been created which has low self esteem, a victim mentality, and a hand out mentality.

This is a vast generalisation as we know for sure that there are many many Blacks who have made something of themselves, and not just by being boxers or basket ball players.

However the enclaves which abound in the inner cities continue to maintain the "culture" which evolved. Unfortunately all problems in societies especially depressed, or suppressed ones whether mixed race as in England, or single race is American enclaves is damaged even further by the damage done to them by the drug culture which is eroding society everywhere.

Point is well-taken. Some of us do have a victim mentality. I've always been a hard worker all my life. I don't like asking people for things and being taken care of as if I were a child. I seem many of them, still living in Public Housing generations after generations. Many are so academically low-performing and have tremendous behavioral issues. Poverty has nothing to do the money in your pocket. It is a state of mind, at least, that's what my grandmother always tells me. But I see young Caribbean-born students with that same mentality.  I don't think of them as having low-self esteem. THEY HAVE A STRONG SESNE OF ENTITLEMENT. Yes, you owe them something.

I think it is fair to say that The Windrush generation were prepared to and did work hard. Their children for the most part also worked hard, but the next generation say we born here, we entitled also shouldering the chip of what happened to previous generations, and sit back and let the next wave of immigrants walk all over their chances, because they don't put in the effort. Similarly white Brits have not tried as hard as immigrants... particularly Asians, and thus also fall behind.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB