You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 31, 2018 8:33 pm

houston
Active

Potato sandwich

Being raised by parents from the old country we kids were fed healthy but some meals were very unappealing. Stuffed beef heart, beef liver and worst of all steak and kidney pie. The cheap steak was chewy and full of grizzle but so much better than the kidney mom had soaked in a pot of water over night. The smell of urine emanating in the kitchen was a total turn off of appetite.
Dinner time the next day was always a challenge. The grizzled steak would sometimes get caught in my throat and a dash to the washroom to cough it out was common. We couldn't leave the table until our dinner was finished so there were some long nights of trying to get cold kidney down. One of tricks was to load up and excuse to go to the washroom. Was always so sorry to see those kidney chunks get flushed down when thinking about all the starving children.
Know for the good stuff. Left over boiled potatoes sliced and fried. Get some fresh bread and butter. Place those hot potatoes on the fresh bread with some salt and pepper, ketchup to taste. Man those sandwiched were good and filling. Have to try them again someday. Great filler, inexpensive and perfect way to use up those leftovers. Cheese and onion sandwich is another favourite.

#2 Jul 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Potato sandwich

A boiled potato fried and on white bread probably spikes your blood sugar faster than a Krispy Kreme and a Coke.  Seriously.  No wonder it is filling but go easy.

#3 Jul 31, 2018 9:43 pm

houston
Active

I agree, go easy on that stuuf but have to believe taters fried in olive or avocado oil and served  on a whole grain bread must be much healthier than Krispy Kreme donuts and a jug of Coca Cola.

#4 Jul 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Maybe not less fattening.  Check out the glycemic index.

Boiled potato:  78
White bread:  75

Soft drink/soda    59
Fried donut: 75

The higher the number the faster it spikes your blood sugar and when your blood sugar spikes, your body stores fat.

In other words, something like a raw apple has sugar but it releases it slowly and it doesn't increase your blood sugar much as it is released over time.  A cooked potato might have the same amount of sugar but it releases it instantly and your body says, "Ooooh, abundance!  Make fat!"

Potatoes and white bread are the worst.

#5 Jul 31, 2018 10:16 pm

New Historian
Active

Growing up in London my biggest my gastronomical nightmare was what the English called school dinners - when they really meant lunch. Dinner was tea. Lord talk about bland, some kind of meat, vegetables overboiled vegetables (like brussel sprouts, yuk!), and always lumpy powdered mash potatoes. But pudding was good, apple crumble with custard if you're lucky.

My dad was the world's worst cook, he could destroy a boiled egg.

#6 Aug 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Expat
Active

What a snob,  School dinners was really School Lunch... Pha I say Pha.

The only BAAAAD pudding was the semolina with a dab of Jam.

Were you around for spam Fritters.... Spam covered in Batter and loaded with cooking oil.... I ate it then, but I know it would give me instant heart burn now.

I used to like the veal "dinners", maybe the potato's were crap, but the gravy helped them go down.

At least you could taste the items you were eating, most of the food here is seasoned so you have no real idea what you are eating. it could be chicken, it might be pork, but it tastes the same  Take Dat!!

Board footer