You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 01, 2018 9:48 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

Using a camera to create value

As has been previously discussed, the Wife and I are headed down to the most beautiful place on Earth in less than 90 days and we are bringing cameras. Time to come clean. I've been wanting to come back for the past 35 years. I wanted to do it this year but I got married in June and got back from St. Lucia a little over a month ago. I always promised myself that whenever I returned to Grenada that I would do it BIG. Well now I don't have time or money available to do it big, plus I have a Grandson on the way (Whose Father is from the former Soviet Union) and the baby is due in early October, so I talked myself out of it.

Well recently I found out that I have a small amount of time and money available to make a trip with but I don't want to come down there for a taste and then have to leave before the main course can be enjoyed.

What compelled me to seize this opportunity was the chance that I could use a camera to do something that nobody else would do. I needed to be there at a specific time or I would miss the opportunity and it wouldn't come around again for another 5 years. I've never done anything like this before and with the short prep time I am sure that I will make mistakes but I won't even know which mistakes get made until I make them. This will sharpen my skills and get me ready to do things better in the future.

As of now I have learned one thing about using a camera. When you use it to create value you can make friends everywhere you go. I definitely want to make friends when I get down there. I will have limited time and opportunity to really get around the whole island but I am more than happy to point my lens in the direction of a business that would like to have some promotional video made for them, so if you have anybody in mind who would benefit from some exposure I am sure that we can work them in, either into the storyline or as a stand alone segment. 

Just something to think about.

#2 Aug 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Using a camera to create value

One ting to keep in mind, stay away from Grenada Politics.  They do not tink like allyu Americans.  I am sure you won't have problems, they are the most friendly folks in the entire world.  Here is also something  we should be very about, my home has one of the lowest Crime rate in the entire world.

If you are looking for something about the REVO, you will have to search real hard.  That topic is almost taboo in Grenada.  As ah JCB in ah good way, ah kinda stay away from ah number of tings in the Spiceland ah  do not want to be labeled and ah want to enjoy me life in retirement.

If I am here, I will do my very best to assist you with your project.  No politics involving the two Political parties in this place. Seriuosly Keep in mind Grenada is ah money pit.

I honestly love the food in this place, all foods are very tasty.

Last edited by Slice (Aug 02, 2018 1:47 pm)

#3 Aug 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

One ting to keep in mind, stay away from Grenada Politics.  They do not tink like allyu Americans.  I am sure you won't have problems, they are the most friendly folks in the entire world.  Here is also something  we should be very about, my home has one of the lowest Crime rate in the entire world.

If you are looking for something about the REVO, you will have to search real hard.  That topic is almost taboo in Grenada.  As ah JCB in ah good way, ah kinda stay away from ah number of tings in the Spiceland ah  do not want to be labeled and ah want to enjoy me life in retirement.

If I am here, I will do my very best to assist you with your project.  No politics involving the two Political parties in this place. Seriuosly Keep in mind Grenada is ah money pit.

I honestly love the food in this place, all foods are very tasty.

Rumor has it you like a saltfish too much....    wink

#4 Aug 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

No politics. It's a waste of time and you never make friends talking about politics. In fact, politics bores me now. I already know what people are going to say before they say it, so why even talk about it? We have much better things to talk about, things that actually matter.

Who wants to talk politics in the most beautiful place on Earth anyway?

We will get together and go over things before I even fire that camera up. I like the story about you and your history, leaving Grenada and then returning and what all you have observed.

If there are stories of a historical nature that people would like to tell for the sake of preserving the stories but they don't want their face to be on camera, I have several Mexican Pro Wrestling Luchador Masks I can bring so nobody knows who is who. That would be pretty funny, some guys sitting around on your porch smoking cigars, telling stories and wearing Luchador Masks.

I am there to have fun. Politics is the opposite of fun.

Last edited by Beautiful Bradly Bolton (Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm)

#5 Aug 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

What is most important to me is that the work take every opportunity to exhibit the stunning natural beauty of Grenada. I want to showcase some businesses ( I will do a nice job of showing off the tiny little unpretentious Hotel I am staying at ). I want to promote Tourism (Florida boy understands the importance of the Hospitality Industry).

Mostly, I want people to love Grenada. The beauty of the island is one thing to love. What made me fall in love with Grenada was the people. Americans today just can't understand that there is a place in this world where people are genuinely decent and when I tell them about it they just look at me in amazement. Words can never be sufficient to put this over. We have to show them.

So Slice, when two people like you and I can sit down together and our true friendship come shining through, that's pure magic. People aren't going to know just how magical it is if they don't know something about our history. I realize that I have to be very sensitive when it comes to our history so we will collaborate well in advance of my arrival on all that.

Let me just give you one example of the kind of thing I am talking about. By the time I get there, by the Grace of God my Grandson will be in his Mother's arms. His name will be Vladimir Semenov. His Father is from Ukraine and on that side of the family we have several Veterans of the Soviet Red Army. Do you know what our Thanksgiving Day is like? Yes, it is a huge celebration and we have extra great reasons to be celebrating. We survived our situation and now we are family. Only God can do miracles like that.

Now you and I will be together on Grenadian Thanksgiving Day. Don't you know we have a lot to be thankful for? I know I do. I am thankful that I can call you my friend. Only God can do miracles like that.

So we don't need no stinkin' politics. We have something far better to focus on. When we focus on the beautiful things of Grenada we will communicate effectively. People are looking for an escape from strife and they NEED it in order to stay healthy. We will offer a healthy viewing choice and in the end they are going to want to know more about Grenada by coming to see it all for themselves.

Any kind of documentary has to have certain elements in it or people just will not watch it. The story has to be compelling. We have to hook the crowd and hold them for the first 10 minutes. Most people who watch anything for 10 minutes have become engaged and the story becomes compelling. So I am going to use the best crowd psychology I am able to conjure up. I will try to hold the crowd so the goodness of it all can sink in. If I can do that, Grenada will sell itself. If I actually had some skills this would be an easy thing to do but right now I am staying up late getting coached by the professionals on YouTube.

What we REALLY need to do is a Pro Wrestling Show in the Stadium. Maybe another time. That will cost more money than I currently have.

#6 Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

The Pro Wrestling angle sells. I could sell out the stadium if I brought Pro Wrestling to Grenada. It would take me about a year to pull that off though. I may check into permitting requirements and fees while I am down there. Maybe do it pre-carnival and have masked Luchadors wearing the colors of the various competing bands, going head-to-head inside the squared circle. People would be ready for it.

Maybe people would feel more comfortable considering talking about sensitive historical issues while wearing a Luchador mask. I'll go one step further. I'll bring my wrestling gear down there and wear it out in the streets. I find that people really loosen up and start having a good time when Guerrero Naranja appears...

#7 Aug 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

I just re-read what you wrote and realized that you are just going to have to wear a Luchador mask the entire time we are together. I will wear mine too, so you won't look suspicious. I will even wear my wrestling gear so viewers will be bedazzled by my whiteness and shining aura of sexiness. It will stun them so bad that nobody will be able to focus on you with their eyes. They will hear what you are saying just fine but all eyes will be on me. It's a little cinematic trick I have picked up on over the years.

#8 Aug 03, 2018 6:57 am

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

There are all kinds of ways to do this. It's more about Grenada today anyway. This is to be a happy occasion and we should do all things to keep it that way. Smiles sell.

One of the principles that I believe is essential to a camera project is to go with the flow. That's the purpose of a camera, it is to capture what is there. If you go into a project thinking that you already know what you're going to get then you tend to miss out on those things you could have never imagined before you started, simply because you were using your camera to do something else.

So we will just let it flow.

If we want to do History we can do audio tracks only accompanied by old photos or B-Roll shots. There are lots of ways to make it happen but it's most important to just LET things happen.

Board footer