You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jan 24, 2017 8:54 am

Slice
Active

THE LOVE, HATRED FOR AMERICA IS SOMETHING AH DOH GET

Trying to get my child to embrace the Grenadian culture, had me thinking over and over again, is that how the rest of the world, think about America? some folks came up to me and said, why is you 21 year ole so respectful, he just can not be an American.

I do agree, that some Americans are crazy and have no respect, but is that the American society?  I can now say that the New Grenadian society is now almost the same as America.  Grenadian have adopted every aspect of the American system.  Some of the younger children are totally out of control.  Grenada today is not the same Grenada I grew up in.

Some folks just hate America, but given the chance they would all leave Grenada in the morning.  The election of Trump is not helping America around the world, they now see America as ah true racist country.

Now America has tons of problems, but gosh on every get together an had to defend her. I got so tired that ah just stop arguing.  My last point was me ent care wha allyu say, gee me America before any other nation.

#2 Jan 24, 2017 9:42 am

New Historian
Active

Re: THE LOVE, HATRED FOR AMERICA IS SOMETHING AH DOH GET

The people with the strongest opinion on America are the people who don't live there. For me I would add: any more. Done my time, got the t-shirt, no want no mo. Lately its taken a serious turn for the worse, which is sad.

#3 Jan 24, 2017 10:15 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I will admit that I spent a lot of time bitching about the Obama years.  I had real disagreements with his policies and political ethos, but, at the end of his term, I have to admit he caused me no harm. 

Really, how much does a president in a country as big as the United States really impact individuals?  I mean, I have my family, I have business interests, I have my friends, I have hobbies, I travel, I go to church, I belong to the American Legion and I go about my life.  Without the media, I would have no ability to tell who is president from one administration to the next.

Maybe we pay too much attention to politics.  I confess I am very guilty.  I let Obama bum me out and, in reflection, that seems kind of ridiculous.  Now I am letting Trump bum me out and, I bet, that will turn out to be ridiculous too.

I really like my neighbors and the people with whom I work.  There is no crime or violence in my life.  I have access to quality health care and good, varied food.  I have access to more entertainment than I could consume in a lifetime.  My kids are getting good educations and have choices for university.  My grandchildren live nearby.  I travel often. 

I am a lucky man and if I let politics in a capital city a thousand miles away depress me, well, that's my own damned fault.

Right?

#4 Jan 24, 2017 10:38 am

Slice
Active

That is why I am saying, let Trump be.  There ent ah whole bunch he can do, anyway.  This is like saying all African-American are the same, ah bunch ah criminals.

I doubt if Trump will have any kind of impact on my life.  The world hates America, but they want to be America.  They all still think, you come from America, and you must be loaded.

when I go to the Rum shop in Grenada, everyone stop buying their 1/8 of rum and look at this guy that come from America to buy.

I know America has help me greatly.  I ent biting the hands that fed me.

#5 Jan 24, 2017 10:42 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

The people with the strongest opinion on America are the people who don't live there. For me I would add: any more. Done my time, got the t-shirt, no want no mo. Lately its taken a serious turn for the worse, which is sad.

Yep leh me add, the folks who hates America the most are those, who knows they can not ever come to America.  It is not paradise, but it ent bad.

Last edited by Slice (Jan 24, 2017 10:43 am)

#6 Jan 24, 2017 12:21 pm

New Historian
Active

"Maybe we pay too much attention to politics."

Never a truer word spoken, what this election showed me is that American politics is more about who you hate than who you love. All those women who voted for Trump could not "love" him, but they HATE Hillary, with a passion. Well, that passion's gonna come back to "grab" them!!!

#7 Jan 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You know that thing we were saying about paying too much attention to politics?  Let's call this Exhibit #1.

#8 Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Aim

Sometimes if a child has an opinion in Grenada they are seen as being disrespectful. I know a child who came from England quite young and every time that sweet child tried to express herself she was made to shut up and told that she was rude and "frontish" - even I as a slightly older child realized that she was not. It changed her immensely and soon she had changed from a bright communicative little girl to a listless little girl/adult. You should see her today. So so sad that at times is has brought and still brings a tear to my eye when I see her. I meet so many respectful American youngsters - we exchange greetings and chat about politics etc. make jokes. They are very sweet. The rarity for me is to see bad behaviour on the train at times - goodness those children have issues but as I don't know which hole they crawled out from or what they are experiencing in life I can only be that judgmental and avoid their eye so as to avoid trouble. I have "nieces and nephews" in Grenada and here in America, plus children of friends and co-workers who exhibit good manners and are ambitious and are succeeding in life. If someone approached me and told me that an American child in my company can't be American because he or she is so well behaved I would not be too happy. Children are who they are according to how they have been brought up not because of their country and we have to stop encouraging people with that fallacy. Why do we/they keep blaming America for all ills. Some of our Grenadian children have not even changed from the old habits we ourselves were brought up with. I have been greeted by children in St. George's, Gouyave, and even Grand Anse one morning when I was out walking with a Good day Miss! Nice children. That said, with the size of America as compared to Grenada and the closeness of people living in our villages/towns, I don't expect children in America who do not know me to be telling me Good day Miss or being too nice either. In fact they better be cautious as I could well be the one to stuff them in a van and drive off if they are too friendly. Evil laugh! But seriously, we did not expect Grenada to remain just so, did we?

BTW the hatred of America stemmed mostly from the fact that at some point we were taught to hate them plus the Americans came in when some of our leaders were slaughtered and we were being held under curfoo. They forget when, I think it was JFK, used to send down bulgur to help us out. We forget the Peace Corps who were some of the best and most sincerely nice teachers ever. Some cannot forgive the US even when they get the $$ from here to help out. LOL

On the point of President Obama, certain people in positions to do so came out and said they would stymie everything this rightfully elected president tried to do and they did so long after the birthers had their field day. Remember? Sad! I know that some who said that everything he did was wrong will be longing for the Obama years soon! Let it be.

Last edited by Aim (Jan 24, 2017 8:41 pm)

#9 Jan 25, 2017 7:32 am

Slice
Active

"BTW the hatred of America stemmed mostly from the fact that at some point we were taught to hate them plus the Americans came in when some of our leaders were slaughtered and we were being held under curfoo. They forget when, I think it was JFK, used to send down bulgur to help us out. We forget the Peace Corps who were some of the best and most sincerely nice teachers ever. Some cannot forgive the US even when they get the $$ from here to help out. LOL"

So I think you are wrong. Bulgur came from England.  BTW take ah look at the price at Bulgur now.  It is considered a Health food and crazy expensive.

Not sure way the hatred came from, but ah think it is more jealousy than hatred.

#10 Feb 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Woof Woof Gang Stalker

Slice did you really expect Grenada to stay the same? It was only a matter of time.

You must have grown up in the day when very few Grenadians Travelled abroad
And when they did leave a lot never returned.

Board footer