You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 12, 2018 11:04 am

Expat
Active

Hearing in Jeapardy

Never mind ANY public presentation where system volumes are always unnecessarily loud for the location. Even down to a simple Harvest gathering.  I recall attending a local one to buy some patties for visitors, and I had to plug my ears with my fingers.... yet people are standing and walking in front and around the blasting noise as if it's not there.

The prompt for me to write was watching the pre pan TV presentation last night, and if I understood them correctly they were spending many hours in succession practicing.... often in enclosed spaces. Very often with very young children playing. The noise levels are simply too high for any ears let alone young ones.

I used to play in an Orchestra, but I was at the back pushing the noise forward. Hearing impairment even in a Classical orchestra is an issue. I also played, or rather practiced with a steel band in my early adult days.... but the sound intensity was not so great, even though it was done indoors.

Deafness is often irreversible, prolonged exposure to loud noises WILL deafen. I used to wear ear plugs in industry at much lower levels. Luckily after having a 9mm fire 50 rounds close to me I only went deaf for a day, and had tinnitus for a week before I returned to normal. If idiots want to ride around pumping out noise from their cars it only hurts them, but exposure in steel bands and concerts is definitely going to damage hearing, and if the players are only 12, then they could be hearing impaired for many many years.

#2 Aug 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Hearing in Jeapardy

A Canadian Study.

Hearing loss is more common than you think . Interestingly , due to recreational , and environmental  noise , hearing loss is accurring at younger and younger ages.

Hearing Loss Facts.
1 ) . Hearing loss  is second only to arthritis as the most common complaint of older adults.
2 ) .. Only about 10% of hearing loss is helped by surgery or other medical treatment.
3 ) ++++ 90 % of hearing loss can be treated with the use of hearing instruments. ++++
4 ) ... Only 16 % of physicians routinely screen for hearing loss.
5 ) . Noise levels above 80-90 decibels on average over an 8 hour day is considered hazardous .
6 ) .. Firearms , music , Airplanes , lawnmowers ,power tools above 80 decibels , hazardous with prolonged exposure.
7 ) Rock concerts produce 110-120 decibels  - easily high enough to cause permanent damage over a 2-3 hour period.

#3 Aug 12, 2018 1:26 pm

houston
Active

Not good for ears of any age but the youngsters will need to wear hearing aids sooner rather than later.
I work in the telecom industry, often near 2000Kw stand by power generators and high pitched chillers with screw compressor that sceam when loaded up. Don't want to be caught near the genertors without ear protection when there's a power hit.
You played in an orchestra? Interesting.

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/ … uidelines/

#4 Aug 12, 2018 2:58 pm

New Historian
Active

Is like I put on my FB page just this morning:

Weed whackers, buzz-saws and leaf blowers should be classified as noise pollutants and should not be allowed within 100 yards of schools, churches or where anyone is sleeping.

They drive me bat-shit crazy.

#5 Aug 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Is like I put on my FB page just this morning:

Weed whackers, buzz-saws and leaf blowers should be classified as noise pollutants and should not be allowed within 100 yards of schools, churches or where anyone is sleeping.

They drive me bat-shit crazy.

Oh Maaaaaan,  you hit me right where it hurts.

Wead eater, Chain Saw, Leaf Blower, Mister.... all essential toys for the man who can....   smile

But whilst annoying, they aren't THAT loud unless you are right on top of them.

There is a guy who cuts the grass locally (other than me) he drives me absolutely crazy by constantly revving the bloody thing, it simply doesn't make mechanical sense.

In the mean time some D Head is down in the junction with some car sound system for the last 15 minutes with this penetrating Duuuurm Duurm noise filling every space in my house and pressurising my brain. The twat is at least 200 yards away. No music, just Duuuurm Duuuuurm.

#6 Aug 12, 2018 3:22 pm

houston
Active

Sundays used to be quiet days. Now it seems to be the only day that people fire up the lawn mower. Good grief, what ever happened to peace and quiet?

#7 Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Sundays used to be quiet days. Now it seems to be the only day that people fire up the lawn mower. Good grief, what ever happened to peace and quiet?

Sunday is the only day a good old fashioned Atheist can find time to do the gardening. Except in Grenada,   I make noise EVERY day of the week.

#8 Aug 12, 2018 5:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Sunday is the only day a good old fashioned Atheist can find time to do the gardening. Except in Grenada,   I make noise EVERY day of the week.

You an equal opportunity annoyer!

#9 Aug 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I finally gave in and was fitted with hearing aids two years ago.  I have had an increasing hearing loss since I was young.  I don't use them all the time, but in certain circumstances they are life changing.   I find that having good hearing is sometimes annoying.  In those cases, it is nice to be able to take them out and muffle everything.   In meetings, in church, in conversations in restaurants, however, they have been a real blessing.

#10 Aug 12, 2018 5:26 pm

houston
Active

That's ideal to be able to tone out the unwanted noise at will.
You are a middle aged male, any idea what caused the early hearing loss?

Board footer