You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Aug 12, 2018 6:16 pm

houston
Active

Re: Hearing in Jeapardy

New Historian wrote:
Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Sundays used to be quiet days. Now it seems to be the only day that people fire up the lawn mower. Good grief, what ever happened to peace and quiet?

Sunday is the only day a good old fashioned Atheist can find time to do the gardening. Except in Grenada,   I make noise EVERY day of the week.

You an equal opportunity annoyer!

Yes sir. Expat has no problem being annoying. Just don't annoy him by being a noisy nieghbour when he likes his quiet time.
Those oldsters can get real grumpy.

#12 Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm

houston
Active

Hell, he might even pull out the pink Glock when there is an uninvited intruder.
Slice needs to be careful when he stops by for a visit.

#13 Aug 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

You are a middle aged male, any idea what caused the early hearing loss?

I have had deteriorating hearing since I was a child.  I don't know.  Mom suspected that it might have something to do with a few serious ear infections I had as a baby but that is speculation. 

It is tinnitus based.  I always have a ringing in my ears.  I have learned, however, that the tinnitus is likely a symptom of the loss rather than the cause of it.  The hearing aids actually silence the ringing.  I heard silence for the first time when I got them two years ago.

I suppose it is just my cross to bear.  Few people are in perfect health in every way.  I pray I don't go completely deaf when I get as old as Expat.  smile

The good news is that beyond about 10 feet I still have 20/20 vision at 54.

#14 Aug 12, 2018 9:16 pm

houston
Active

Glad to hear that RD. You are far to young to be minus your senses.

#15 Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Thanks.  I bought really, really good hearing aids.  They give me normal hearing and, when I crank them up, I can hear things my 13 year old son can barely hear.  They Bluetooth to my phone and they actually sound cancel background noise so I can use them in a noisy room and hear the people next to me.  So don't worry about me.  I have options and aren't we lucky to live in an age that we do?!

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm)

#16 Aug 12, 2018 9:29 pm

New Historian
Active

I have options and aren't we lucky to live in an age that we do?!

I say that all the time, I'm constantly being amazed at the high-tech stuff that we just take for granted nowadays. Some of us are old enough to remember what what it was like without all that good shit!

#17 Aug 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Dancer
Active

houston wrote:

Glad to hear that RD. You are far to young to be minus your senses.

++++++++ That statement is  THE  big problem .  <<<<<

Untreated hearing loss , linked to depression , social isolation in seniors.

Hearing loss is one of the most prevalent chronic conditions in the U.S. affecting more than ..
9 million Americans over the age of 65
10 million  Americans age 45 to 64

BUT about 3 out of 5  older Americans with  hearing loss ..
AND 6 out of 7 middle age Americans with hearing  loss

Do NOT use hearing aids

+++++++
Those stats  might be quite true for the Caribbean as well .
Folks get away with it as most islanders speak sorta loud . But at Talks , lectures , church  , you will notice some folks leaning forward to catch the soft tones.

PROBLEM :::    We had to get hearing aids for my Mum ,,,,, she did not wear them , some sort of 'stigma' Mrs Dancer deaf. Lol .
They cost us about $3000 .
BEEF ::::
The Govt need to have a program to help promote and help finance  the use of hearing aids. AND we need more suppliers in the market.

Most of the market ... is wide open.

#18 Aug 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Expat
Active

Dancer wrote:

A Canadian Study.

Hearing loss is more common than you think . Interestingly , due to recreational , and environmental  noise , hearing loss is accurring at younger and younger ages.

Hearing Loss Facts.
1 ) . Hearing loss  is second only to arthritis as the most common complaint of older adults.
2 ) .. Only about 10% of hearing loss is helped by surgery or other medical treatment.
3 ) ++++ 90 % of hearing loss can be treated with the use of hearing instruments. ++++
4 ) ... Only 16 % of physicians routinely screen for hearing loss.
5 ) . Noise levels above 80-90 decibels on average over an 8 hour day is considered hazardous .
6 ) .. Firearms , music , Airplanes , lawnmowers ,power tools above 80 decibels , hazardous with prolonged exposure.
7 ) Rock concerts produce 110-120 decibels  - easily high enough to cause permanent damage over a 2-3 hour period.

I have been to a Stones concert where the only endurable location was at the back of the stadium. However the sound systems here can be almost as bad, and is playing for not even a few hundred in a small location, never mind many thousands in Wembley Stadium.

#19 Aug 13, 2018 3:37 pm

New Historian
Active

"I have been to a Stones concert where the only endurable location was at the back of the stadium. However the sound systems here can be almost as bad, and is playing for not even a few hundred in a small location, never mind many thousands in Wembley Stadium."

I went to a Stones concert at Wembley in ..... 1982-ish?? Same one?

#20 Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have worn ear plugs in every rock concert I have ever been to and it is still too loud.

Board footer