You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Carriacou racing fever

Because of the various uses to which the wooden Windward Island sailboats were originally put, including haulin cargoes and occasionally having to outrung inquisitive eyes, they needed to be fast. They also needed to take advantage of their natural surroundings, in particular the Trade Winds and shallow anchorages in which they operated. So the classic Windward Island sloop has no deep keel and is a “reaching machine”, with an overlong boom and huge mainsail, ideal for traveling up and down the island chain.

Every society has its sporting passion, its national pastime. England has its football, America baseball, the Caribbean its cricket. But for tiny Carriacou its sporting mania is sailboat racing. Fishermen race every day of their lives. To be the first out in the morning, first to reach the fishing grounds, first to market. Even when they aren't racing, they’ll race; it’s in their blood. My boat just HAS to be faster than yours. The inevitable rivalries would often be settled on impromptu races, accompanied by heavy betting by the contestants and their crews. 

It’s the best entertainment on the island, and children jockey for position on the most favoured boats. Mistakes are not tolerated, rewarded by a quick slap around the head with the first thing that came to hand. The big event of the year, when all scores are settled and bragging rights established, is the Carriacou Regatta, which features round-the-island races of the local workboats as well as the fancy foreign yachts.

This is where locals show white people how to sail…

Online

#2 Aug 13, 2018 12:24 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Carriacou racing fever

>>>>This is where locals show white people how to sail…<<<<<<


Bullshit! White men are very good sailors. I would think that would be THE PLACE they go to sail.

Offline

#3 Aug 13, 2018 12:50 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Carriacou racing fever

Calypso wrote:

>>>>This is where locals show white people how to sail…<<<<<<


Bullshit! White men are very good sailors. I would think that would be THE PLACE they go to sail.


Offline

#4 Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Carriacou racing fever

Yup know it well: up the west coast of Greenz to Carriacou, the dread on conga drums I know him. And of course the girl gets her rent-a-dread in the end lol!

"Bullshit! White men are very good sailors. I would think that would be THE PLACE they go to sail."

Lord easy nuh, it's just a throwaway quip. And you right, REAL sailors who own or live on boats are great sailors, but there's an awful lot of Johnny-come-latelys out there, barging around in boats lol.

So which one of them rent-a-dreads was yours?

Online

#5 Aug 13, 2018 9:23 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Carriacou racing fever

New Historian wrote:

Yup know it well: up the west coast of Greenz to Carriacou, the dread on conga drums I know him. And of course the girl gets her rent-a-dread in the end lol!

"Bullshit! White men are very good sailors. I would think that would be THE PLACE they go to sail."

Lord easy nuh, it's just a throwaway quip. And you right, REAL sailors who own or live on boats are great sailors, but there's an awful lot of Johnny-come-latelys out there, barging around in boats lol.

So which one of them rent-a-dreads was yours?


The Upton guy. The beautiful one.

Offline

#6 Aug 13, 2018 10:44 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Carriacou racing fever

Calypso wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Yup know it well: up the west coast of Greenz to Carriacou, the dread on conga drums I know him. And of course the girl gets her rent-a-dread in the end lol!

"Bullshit! White men are very good sailors. I would think that would be THE PLACE they go to sail."

Lord easy nuh, it's just a throwaway quip. And you right, REAL sailors who own or live on boats are great sailors, but there's an awful lot of Johnny-come-latelys out there, barging around in boats lol.

So which one of them rent-a-dreads was yours?


The Upton guy. The beautiful one.


Lawd scrufulous, ah hope he use two boots! And yuh talk 'bout me lol!!

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB