You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 16, 2018 12:14 am

Expat
Active

New York Cops

Having just watched a BBC docuthingy about the biggest Gang in New York.

I have to say I am appalled at the demeanor, actions of what appears to be a large number of the NYPD.

Although I may support Stop and Search in crime ridden areas... I have been stopped and searched myself.... The apparent roughly 8-2 ratio of involvement with the Black Community, the so we are told by a 20 year officer secret quotas they have to meet which are called Bull sheeet by the Commissioner, the seemingly targeting of Cop filmers etc it is troubling to say the least.

To see a Black woman concerned at her sons handling, being roughed round a vehicle and then dropped to the ground on her belly and held down by a knee in the back when she is OBVIOUSLY very pregnant is abhorrent. Followed by a supporting office almost hurling a White woman that came to speak to the womans condition flying through the air and fracturing her knee cap on landing some several feet away.

While I may have had some sympathy with the actions of the police in the Joel Garner case based upon the media I saw, allowing that whilst a neck hold had been applied it was not held for long, and he was a big guy not wanting to be arrested, so holding him down seemed fairly reasonable, plus many folks may say I can't breath simply to get the restraint relaxed. I also figured that his own bulk contributed to his demise. However from the contribution of the 20 year cop he Garner was being targeted.... perhaps just to keep up that quota, and they did not even actually have a legitimate reason to arrest him as they had not seen a transaction which was required. So the whole thing stinks, and as has happened before some of my views are definitely changing.

No large organisation can expect not to have bad apples, and while we might hope our police will always be polite, and reasonable in their actions we have to understand that front line day in day out dealing with fights, murders, domestic violence, haranguing crowds etc could lead to what might have been a good cop getting jaded, but mh mh, these guys seem like thugs in uniforms.

#2 Aug 21, 2018 11:08 am

New Historian
Active

Re: New York Cops

Thugs in uniform is spot on. The American police are trained to see certain groups in society as enemies first and foremost - the same thing happens in England but the cops there aren't so vicious nor are they, generally speaking, armed. I remember telling my daughters: I don't care if you bring home a black boyfriend, white, yellow or brown - but DON'T bring no damn police into me house!! They listened. For once lol.

#3 Aug 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Expat
Active

Something to hide dude?   LoL.

We need em, but I've had a few too many bad experiences to give them a vote of confidence.

#4 Aug 22, 2018 8:16 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

Something to hide dude?   LoL.

We need em, but I've had a few too many bad experiences to give them a vote of confidence.

Yes, and me three. Police everywhere but especially in my experience in UK/USA have this "us and them" attitude, Don't like the mental attitude.

Board footer