You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Expat
Active

If you like meat

Do not start checking out slaughter house movies on YouTube.

Mexico seemed the worst of the bunch I watched, but Some of those American ones were really grim.

I didn't come across a British one, but where they were showing animal husbandry there was a British farm that left a lot to be desired in terms of treating the animals with respect.

The Mexican farms though were just as horrifying as the abattoirs, the animals were kept in awful conditions, never mind size of the stalls, they were in filthy conditions with abscesses, hernias, broken limbs, blindness caused by the filth etc etc. a prolapsed rectum was mitigated by having a piece of pipe up their bum.

I've had to euthanize piglets, kill chickens for the pot etc, but no way could I watch animals suffer like that.

It simply didn't seem to make sense to me, with all the deaths prior to slaughter it seemed an awful waist of money and resources.

Finally I watched a clip showing humane treatments of animals prior and during slaughter, and it was just a world away from those ghastly places where the workers seemed to enjoy abusing the animals.

Offline

#2 Aug 31, 2018 11:10 am

Vanni
Active

Re: If you like meat

My feeling is that there is no truly humane way of killing an animal: he/she/it may not be suffering physically that much, but there is not just the body. They know of the anguish and the feeling of being totally overwhelmed by a human, so much more powerful than him/her/it. And the last feeling of "why do you do this to me"?

If killing were an uplifting, caring act for both involved, alike cherry picking, we'd have some "joyful and exhilarating killing parties". And I'm afraid, such a thing does not exist.

No. There are more or less caring ways of handling an animal, but killing is never humane, never being experienced as an act of love and tenderness.

Last edited by Vanni (Aug 31, 2018 11:34 am)

Offline

#3 Aug 31, 2018 1:26 pm

Expat
Active

Re: If you like meat

But an animal correctly corralled, correctly maneuvered to the point of dispatch and then killed in a prompt and as far as possible humane way is a much happier animal than one that has been kicked and booted along the path watching its predecessors having their throats cut and being hauled still alive and conscious into the air.

There is practicality, and and then there is cruelty. The end result may well be the same, and some will disagree with the process even if the animal were loved to death, but mankind was created an omnivore, with canines for tearing, and molars for chewing, we do not have two or three stomachs to digest large quantities of cellulose. Meat whether hunted to exhaustion as in the sunrise of humanity, or bred for the table has always been on the menu.

Offline

#4 Aug 31, 2018 3:04 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: If you like meat

Exactly, all this la-di-dah about killing of animals is actually kinda unnatural. I find first world people's aversion to the act of killing to be kinda hypocritical: nobody wants to kill the chicken but everyone wants the drumstick! My brother won't go fishing with me because "he feels sorry for the fish" but he doesn't feel sorry for the plastic wrapped fish he buys in Waitrose. My kind of fish kill is far more natural and sustainable than his, but it means that you have to get your hands bloody. Ewww.

Offline

#5 Aug 31, 2018 4:43 pm

houston
Active

Re: If you like meat

I always wondered what those small plastic containers that surround cattle farm properties were for. Thought maybe they were for groing something for the farm.
Last summer at a farm breakfast I learned that those small things are what the veal calfs spend their short life in.
Turned me off of beef for a while. Will certainly never eat a veal sandwich again.

Offline

#6 Aug 31, 2018 4:53 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: If you like meat

I like riding through the Irish countryside and smelling the hay and animal shit and watching the cows grazing contentedly in the fields. A grazing cow is a happy cow and a happy cow tastes better than a sad cow!

Offline

#7 Aug 31, 2018 5:04 pm

houston
Active

Re: If you like meat

Love that fresh country smell too. A poultry farm, no thank you.

Offline

#8 Aug 31, 2018 6:37 pm

Expat
Active

Re: If you like meat

houston wrote:

Love that fresh country smell too. A poultry farm, no thank you.


Better doh come to my crib then.... smile

Offline

#9 Aug 31, 2018 6:42 pm

Expat
Active

Re: If you like meat

houston wrote:

I always wondered what those small plastic containers that surround cattle farm properties were for. Thought maybe they were for groing something for the farm.
Last summer at a farm breakfast I learned that those small things are what the veal calfs spend their short life in.
Turned me off of beef for a while. Will certainly never eat a veal sandwich again.

Yeah, Veal like Foie Gras is a cruel and unnecessary abuse of animals. Not as bad as the Chinese skinning dogs alive, but it sure as hell ain't good.

Offline

#10 Sep 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Vanni
Active

Re: If you like meat

Expat wrote:

But an animal correctly corralled, correctly maneuvered to the point of dispatch and then killed in a prompt and as far as possible humane way is a much happier animal than one that has been kicked and booted along the path watching its predecessors having their throats cut and being hauled still alive and conscious into the air.

There is practicality, and and then there is cruelty. The end result may well be the same, and some will disagree with the process even if the animal were loved to death, but mankind was created an omnivore, with canines for tearing, and molars for chewing, we do not have two or three stomachs to digest large quantities of cellulose. Meat whether hunted to exhaustion as in the sunrise of humanity, or bred for the table has always been on the menu.

New Historian wrote:

Exactly, all this la-di-dah about killing of animals is actually kinda unnatural. I find first world people's aversion to the act of killing to be kinda hypocritical: nobody wants to kill the chicken but everyone wants the drumstick! My brother won't go fishing with me because "he feels sorry for the fish" but he doesn't feel sorry for the plastic wrapped fish he buys in Waitrose. My kind of fish kill is far more natural and sustainable than his, but it means that you have to get your hands bloody. Ewww.

Hence my being a vegetarian, which actually perfectly suits me. But I won't allow myself to impose it: this has to be everyone's own choice and we all need to find what suits us best, as much in terms of diet as in terms of ethics.

As for the argument of omnivorism, some say that the length of our intestines is made for plant food. Whichever the argument, again: I am feeling thoroughly good the way I am, so I wouldn't let myself be bothered by whichever expert in terms of diet. Some even claim that predation is not something in the nature of living beings. Lots to reconsider some time or another.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB