You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Aug 24, 2018 3:15 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: The man is unhinged!!!

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Stryker posted that the Mercator Projection was the created as part of a white supremacy conspiracy.  That was a fun day. smile

But he's right! An evil plot to make the white world look bigger than the non-white. Oh the indignities.
https://s15.postimg.cc/kl9zmxkjr/Realworld.jpg

https://s15.postimg.cc/qm7ok19qv/Whiteworld.jpg

Funny how it looks like the White Mans Map when it is flown over in a satellite.   Maybe the Black Mans World is for those that cant get it up.

You poor deluded white man, victim to the Mercator myth. The satellite,oh Grasshopper, is viewing the earth as what it is: a ball. If you peeled back that ball, like an orange, and spread it flat on a table, it would look quite different, would it not? Mercator projection makes Europe and Greenland look larger than they are. Very clever, white people, very clever.

#12 Aug 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Expat
Active

I know there are different.... much more than 2 types of map presentation, however which ever way you cut it that great lump of land the call Afrique would NEVER end up looking like that long drawn out shape your "equal opportunity" map presents.

I bet the aviation industry doesn't fly Black Mans maps, otherwise they would start of heading for Rio and end up in Khartoum.

I guess they Fked over Australia too?

The real answer is neither is right as those squares should be equal, in longitude, even if there are discrepancies in Latitude. The Equal opportunities on is much more inaccurate than even the White Mans one.

I think you had better go and have words with your shaman, as he seems to be on drugs.

Last edited by Expat (Aug 24, 2018 7:15 pm)

#13 Aug 24, 2018 8:23 pm

houston
Active

Excuse me for being a dunce, but I don't get it.
What would be the advantage or disadvantage in either map?

#14 Aug 24, 2018 10:03 pm

houston
Active

Who gets to their destination the quickest?
The one following the inaccurate map with a short cut or the one following an accurate map with a direct route?
Again, I don't get it.

#15 Aug 24, 2018 10:06 pm

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

Excuse me for being a dunce, but I don't get it.
What would be the advantage or disadvantage in either map?

Imagine yourself as this emerging world power called Europe, late on the scene and long after other empires have been far more powerful and sophisticated. Claiming to have "discovered" the rest of the already discovered world, little Europe wants to appear powerful, strong - big. But how can you be big, when you're this little collection of warring tribes on the rump end of Asia?

So, along comes Mister Mercator and his somewhat "distorted" view of the planet earth. And voila! Little Europe all of a sudden looks - big. Just look at the size of Greenland in both maps. According to Mercator Greenland is gi-normous, one of the biggest land masses on the planet. Rubbish. But Africa on the other hand, well that doesn't look that big, does it?

Never forget: slavery colonialism and imperialism was/is an interconnected system that affected EVERY single facetof human existence, even including how we (think we) see the world. Clever buggers.

#16 Aug 24, 2018 10:21 pm

houston
Active

Getting it now, thanks Historian.
Will have to have a second look at the globe.

#17 Aug 24, 2018 10:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Jesus, Mary and Joseph New Historian!  I hope that wasn't a sincere post.

#18 Aug 24, 2018 11:41 pm

New Historian
Active

Greenland is 836,300 square miles.
Africa is 11.73 million square miles.
Africa is 14 times bigger than Greenland.

In which view of the world does Africa look 14 times bigger than Greenland: Mercator Projection, or the real world?

#19 Aug 25, 2018 8:22 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, that part is true. Blaming it on colonialism and imperialism is the problem.  It just takes a sphere and flattens it out.  It distorts.

#20 Aug 25, 2018 11:15 am

New Historian
Active

Of course, you're right, it's just a coincidence. Silly me, paranoid as usual. But are you paranoid, when they're actually looking?

Board footer