You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pm

New Historian
Active

Does anyone remember .... letters???

When I was in my twenties I hardly ever communicated with my two bigger brothers. I was living in Jamaica and they in London; and in those days phone calls – if you were lucky enough to have one - were expensive, unintelligible and short:

“Hello mate, it’s me! Hello? Hello?? It’s me – ME!!! Yeah, how are you? Everyone’s fine. When are you coming? Bring me a carburetor for the bike, brake pads for the car, Rolling Stone magazines, Rizlas, records and teabags! Bye!”

Telegrams meant only one thing: who dead? The cheaper alternative was air mail letters, and if you were really cheap: sea mail. When I first moved to Jamaica the postman became my best friend. Every day I would await his arrival with a mixture of apprehension, expectation and hope. He must have a letter for me, it’s been ages … he must. He doesn’t. Crushed.

A letter was a welcome bombshell of news from back home. They didn’t arrive very often, but when they did you could be assured of being fully updated on every aspect of the sender’s life: what they were up to, what other people were up to, plus the really important bits: gossip, rumour and scandal.

The best letters were pages and pages of condensed, double-sided handwriting, leaning haphazardly down the length of the page. Then there were the aerogrammes, letter and stamp in one, the only limitation being space. You would write in tiny handwriting, squeezing in extra lines along the side of the page to cram it all in.

Nowadays I almost think: there’s TOO MUCH bloody communication lol!!

#2 Sep 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Does anyone remember .... letters???

Back in the day, if you got a letter there was a strong possibility you would have the manners to acknowledge it with a reply. Nowadays most of the time if you send an email "Electronic letter" people do not even say OK thanks or what ever even when you are sending them key or vital info.

#3 Sep 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Dancer
Active

I agree  ,  too many people  , talking- too much balls . lol. From Presidents to Pastors. . lol.
Sad.

Reminiscing  New historian. ?  I  was thinking , next he will be talking about 'nib' fountain pens . 
hehehe

Last edited by Dancer (Sep 04, 2018 10:01 pm)

#4 Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm

New Historian
Active

Nibs? Pah, modern stuff. How about slates?

#5 Sep 06, 2018 11:10 am

Dancer
Active

Sorry  Fred Flintstone.

#6 Sep 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Slice
Active

To call Greenz from the US was more than ah buck per minute.  In those days me uncle and aunts used to send monies from the Big World, by Snail mail.  Ah swear it use to take three months.  The interesting thing was nobody steal those real money from the mail. The post lady name is Mrs, Netta, so hear me everyday from school nah, Good evening Mrs Netta, any letters? 

Slice back in the US and he missed Expat home aready.  No more freshly laid Free Range eggs for awhile.

Last edited by Slice (Sep 06, 2018 2:30 pm)

#7 Sep 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

To call Greenz from the US was more than ah buck per minute.  In those days me uncle and aunts used to send monies from the Big World, by Snail mail.  Ah swear it use to take three months.  The interesting thing was nobody steal those real money from the mail. The post lady name is Mrs, Netta, so hear me everyday from school nah, Good evening Mrs Netta, any letters? 

Slice back in the US and he missed Expat home aready.  No more freshly laid Free Range eggs for awhile.

You musta have the only honest Post Mitress.

Just let there be a card at any time of year and it used to be resealed and empty if you were lucky to get it at all.

Remember it is illegal to send cash via the Post.

#8 Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Is it? Well I never.

#9 Sep 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Is it? Well I never.

Yerp, Those tiefs were simply confiscating contraband..... smile

Board footer