You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Don't Let Me Down

Mom was 24 in 1968.  She never liked the Beatles.  Musical taste is subjective. 

My point was basically the same one you made.  You don't have to like them if it isn't your taste but you have to recognize their talent, creativity and revolutionary influence.  They ain't just girl magnets or anything like the damned Bay City Rollers for gawd's sake!

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Sep 07, 2018 11:47 pm)

#12 Sep 07, 2018 11:57 pm

houston
Active

#13 Sep 08, 2018 12:00 am

houston
Active

#14 Sep 08, 2018 12:12 am

New Historian
Active

Hell, the Beatles even inspired a mass murder: Helter Skelter!

#15 Sep 08, 2018 12:46 am

houston
Active

#16 Sep 08, 2018 9:32 am

Expat
Active

I am not sure where you get your decision from, your record stack indicates how you REALLY felt at the time. Intellectualizing it later is not so compelling.

I shan't over play my case as our cousin in the big country does.

Just to illustrate that the RS weren't simply a bash it band

You cant blame RD, he would have been exposed to the Beatles in the era of Hysteria when they crossed the pond.

I did not buy a single Beatles LP or even single, while I did buy a few Stones. Hendrix, Lead Zeppelin etc.

#17 Sep 08, 2018 9:43 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Mom was 24 in 1968.  She never liked the Beatles.  Musical taste is subjective. 

My point was basically the same one you made.  You don't have to like them if it isn't your taste but you have to recognize their talent, creativity and revolutionary influence.  They ain't just girl magnets or anything like the damned Bay City Rollers for gawd's sake!

They traveled a journey, influenced by the Maharishi etc, and they produced some good stuff. But a hell of a lot of it was pretty lightweight, and probably caught the imagination more because it WAS different? As per my response to NH I didn't buy one single or LP of the Beatles ever. I may have nodded my head as a tune played on the radio, but they never made me feel I wanted to immortalise them on my hifi. Having been in the UK contemporaneously where and when the Bands were playing at the same time, The Beatles had prepubescent girls and spotty adolescents fainting at the barricades, the Stones not so much.

#18 Sep 08, 2018 10:51 am

New Historian
Active

"I am not sure where you get your decision from, your record stack indicates how you REALLY felt at the time. Intellectualizing it later is not so compelling."

I bought more Stones records because they were around a lot longer - hell they still are! Live fast and die young mate, don't wear out your welcome.

#19 Sep 08, 2018 10:55 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"I am not sure where you get your decision from, your record stack indicates how you REALLY felt at the time. Intellectualizing it later is not so compelling."

I bought more Stones records because they were around a lot longer - hell they still are! Live fast and die young mate, don't wear out your welcome.

Now really, you want to say the Stones didn't live fast?  really.

The Beatles split and John got murdered in New Yoyk, I guess that may have slowed THEM down a bit.

#20 Sep 08, 2018 11:20 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It isn't just the talent of the Beatles that I love.  They were just so essentially positive. Their message was basically "All you need is love". 

Yes, yes, Expat, we know you need more than love to live.  It is, however, a beautiful sentiment.

Board footer